cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Global Shipping Program

philatel
Adventurer

Postal rates have gone up - yes, but eBay is sticking it to buyers. I find their global shipping rates exorbitant. If one uses USPS the price is about one-half to one-third. of the eBay prices. Additionally e-Bay also takes a cut on the postage so they are making off everyone

Is any one finding this to be a concern?

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If it already sold and the seller is in the GSP the answer is no. You can ask the seller politely to cancel the sale and relist it as shipping regular method. But a seller cannot differentiate one item going via GSP and another not. The seller would have to opt out of the GSP for all their items and then join again once you  paid for the new listing.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

In January, some USPS domestic rates did increase, some actually decreased. However, USPS did not increase international rates this time.

You are correct that the Global Shipping Program (GSP) does add a handling fee plus international postage or courier charges plus import fees, if any. For many items, mailing direct to the international buyer costs a lot less. In fact, most people recommend avoiding the GSP for items valued under $50 (or even under $100) and weighing less than 5 lbs. The GSP also imposes size and weight restrictions that may be more restrictive than the postal system allows.

You should also know that eBay charges its 10% FVF on the domestic postage only -- for all sellers -- but not on the international shipping amount.

Personally, I don't use the GSP because I can mail orders cheaper and faster via USPS directly to my customers. Few of my orders, if any, exceed $50 in value and most are less than $25.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 2 of 40
latest reply

I about fell over at the post office today.  The person in front of me was sending a 2 lb package to London.

Clerk said 3-5 days Priority Express? Customer asked about regular Priority?  6-10 days and the price was $52.50.   Customer ended up selecting First Class for $22 and change.

I looked at a 2 lb listing of mine through GSP.  I am charging Calculated Shipping for Domestic.  To UK, the S&H charge is $27.23.  Method states International Priority Shipping.  I really don't know what that is though.

That rate includes my $10 charge to KY. 

The GSP and Canada are often a lousy fit because of the low threshold for Customs/Duty, but that's not due to PitneyBowes.

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

Very helpful. Thank you.

I have seen a noticeable difference in the postage rates quoted between standard shipping and GSP over the past few months. For example, purchasing a timetable (Average cost $6-9), the USPS rate is about $5-6, whereas the quoted postage with the GSP is between $12-16. 

I have started to avoid bidding on the items using the GSP. One of the high cost are the different fees they tack on.

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

Thank you.

I am not sure but can one ask the seller to use a different method of sending the item to me?

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

If it already sold and the seller is in the GSP the answer is no. You can ask the seller politely to cancel the sale and relist it as shipping regular method. But a seller cannot differentiate one item going via GSP and another not. The seller would have to opt out of the GSP for all their items and then join again once you  paid for the new listing.

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

If the buyer sends  item request total ,It takes seller out of GSP . The should ask the seller first before send request invoice total .

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

@philatel

Absolutely you can ask.  Just don't be made if they say no. Smiley Happy  Some sellers simply won't ship internationally.

A seller can add or remove the GSP option for an individual listing, and a seller can still have an item listed as GSP but also override it for certain countries and ship direct - as long as they select an alternative shipping option and remove that shipping requirement block for that country in that individual listing. 

@oaklandmaryland  GSP can be applied to select listings.  It's not an all or nothing thing.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

Great. Many thanks

Neil

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

Thanks. Very helpful
Message 10 of 40
latest reply

I live in Canada and buy often from the US. As far as I can see the GSP is another way for the consumer to pay more and get less. What exactly does Pitney Bowes do? They take the shipment from USPS, hold it in Erlanger Ky. for 5 days and then give it to Canada Post. They charged me $5.60 customs for an item that should have been $2.60. They generated 5 different tracking numbers. I don't know how they deal with Can. Post but the most recent track # says it will take 6 days to deliver from a town that's 25 miles from me. It's sad because the seller is obviously a good one and shipped it off right away but I'll be trying to avoid ones who use GSP from now on.

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

You have hit the nail directly on the head. There is no advantage to the buyer (only higher costs) and, I suspect, to the seller, who may be aware that some people are not bidding on this item because the cash grab. The customs issue is a perfect example of this process gone wrong.

I personally feel that eBay needs to relook at their arrangement with Pitney Bowes. The process is poor and needs to be looked at.

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

philatel
Adventurer

My latest rant.

Same sized cover with post/shipping charges by seller

Seller #1:   USPS = $1.50

Seller #2:   GSP = $16.17

Don't forget that eBay charges sellers on the Final value fee (10%) which includes shipping. This means that on sale #2 they make an extra $1.50

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

Don't forget that eBay charges sellers on the Final value fee (10%) which includes shipping. This means that on sale #2 they make an extra $1.50

No, there is no shipping fee charge on GSP shipping fees. The shipping fee 10% is charged on the lowest domestic shipping the seller offers.

Your gripe is with a silly seller and wildly inappropriate use of the GSP.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 14 of 40
latest reply

Ebay does charge FVF on intl shipping fee,based on domestic shipping.

GSP is more than postage,it is also customs duty and handling,since buyer has paid customs duty,there is a lesser chance he will refuse the package due to customs duty.

GSP can handle larger package which exceeds USPS limit.

and the most important reason is online tracking and signature,you are protected as long as you can prove trcking for the domestic leg to Erlanger ,Kentucky

Message 15 of 40
latest reply