• Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
jg11373
Community Member
Accepted Solution

bizarre return problem with seller

This behaviour is new to me - I bought a pair of very hard to find shoes because the seller stated clear simple return policy: return in 14 days for full refund and buyer pays return shipping. OK, fine with me. I received them on January14 and wrote to the seller the same day that I need to return them and asked for instructions as to the return process. I did not at that time open any dispute over "not as described" because I wanted to simply return the shoes per the seller's stated policy. (The shoes technically are not as described, even though the size is stated correctly, it is obviously a manufacturing defect and mismarked, since they are a whole size larger than marked and I own this shoe and other pairs from this designer already and know how they are supposed to fit, which is most likely why I was able to find this shoe for sale on ebay, since nobody with the marked size can wear it ) Before I heard back from the seller, I received notice from ebay that the seller had opened a cancel transaction agreement in the resolution center and that I had until January 23 to respond, and if I did not respond by then, ebay would resolve in the seller's favor.. The seller included a message that said I should accept this before I receive my refund, because if I don't I will be charged a restocking fee. I could not respond to that except to agree or disagree to cancel the transaction, so I wrote to the seller again asking for the return process, as now I had a deadline of January 23 to get the shoes back to him or get hit with a restocking fee that was never described in the listing. I received nothing but form letters for two days, and then finally yesterday I got an email saying that separate instructions had been sent to me as to how to return the shoes. I sent two more emails demanding the return instructions that had never been sent, and finally tonight got an email stating that I needed to put this RMA number on the package or it would not be accepted:________and another warning that any marks on the box or the shoes would also charge a 50% restocking fee. That's right, a blank RMA number. I said the hell with this, as now I would need to ship the damned shoes overnight to get them to this guy before January 23, and run all kinds of risks, so I disagreed to the cancel transaction, and opened a not as described dispute instead and explained the whole thing, since it seems his return policy is also not as described. So what is all this, is this some new normal for sellers? - to open a cancel transaction before they even contact the buyer with return instructions, and then blackmail the buyer into accepting the agreement before the refund is received, or be hit with insane restocking charges, never mind the other games the seller has played with the non-existent RMA number and more restocking fee warnings and dragging out the whole return process...
Please use plain text.
delilah9847
Community Member

Re: bizarre return problem with seller

in reply to jg11373
No. You seller was being dishonest. Good for you for trusting you instinct. If you had accepted the can elation request you would loose your buyer protection.
No need to overnight them.
And no need to worry about a restocking fee.
Your seller must refund you the price of the item plus the original shipping.
Some people are unbelievable.
I hope this won't discourage you from the rest of the sellers here.
Please use plain text.
kpost-2012
Community Member

in reply to jg11373

Just make sure to return the shoes with tracking/delivery confirmation to prove he received them back, they refund after item confirmed received.   In the future just open the item not described case after notifying seller you have a problem.

Please use plain text.
winteriscoming
Community Member

in reply to jg11373

Yes, your seller was trying to trick you into losing your Buyer Protection.

It says right on the cancel request to not accept unless you have been fully refunded.

Send the shoes  to the address in the RC by cheapest means with online viewable DC.

I would, after it is all over leave appropriate feedback of this seller's dishonesty.

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.”
Please use plain text.
bakelite_n_buttons
Community Member

in reply to jg11373

50% restocking fee? Thats beyond outragous. Anything over 5% imho is a little steep for a straight return, and any restocking on an SNAD is wrong. 

“You have not converted a man because you have silenced him.”
― John Morley, On Compromise
Please use plain text.
winteriscoming
Community Member

in reply to bakelite_n_buttons

Well, if it is the wedge sneaker, they have a 10% restocking fees listing in their return policy, to cover the free shipping.  

I think that the comment about the 50% restocking applied only to items returns with damaged or missing box which I am guessing they can enforce, since they are only required to take the return if the item is returned in the condition received.

I imagine this issue comes up often for shoe sellers. 

So, as far as I can tell the 10% restocking was there all along.

Perhaps it was for a different item though.

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.”
Please use plain text.
jg11373
Community Member

in reply to winteriscoming
No restocking fee was listed at the time I bought the shoes, but even then I wouldn't care about that if there was, it was the blackmail about a restocking fee if I didn't accept the cancel agreement and the 50% restocking fee if there was "any mark on the box" that did it for me, including the drawn-out delaying tactics of the return policy.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jg11373

Hello,

I have an item that I sold and waiting the return. I opened a case and eamiled the buyer instructions on returning and to make sure she responds to the opened case.

I'm not sure why people think the seller in this trasactionl is dong anything but protect herself from not being able to get credited he fees that Ebay & PP took st the time of the sale.  As a seller I don't want to refund the money until buyer agrees to close case once I receive the item. If I refund w/o closing I'm not protected and will lose mt fees if the buyer chooses to ignore case.

Am I missing something?

Please use plain text.