eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

USPS Package Identification Number (PID#)

What does a USPS Package Identification Number (PID#) on my first class package show?

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

Re: USPS Package Identification Number (PID#)

in reply to rockyheadluvr

rockyheadluvr wrote:

What does a USPS Package Identification Number (PID#) on my first class package show?

Just what is says.

photo tig02-1.jpg
-It's One World... One Family - It's time to grow up-
Please use plain text.
chicagoape
Community Member

in reply to black*max

Let me rephrase the question.  What is the significance of the PID number?  Can it be used as a tracking number?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chicagoape

It means you did not purchase a tracking number when shipping your item at the retail counter and do not have access to tracking information for this parcel.  However, this PID is trackable by USPS employees in the PTS (track and confirm) system on USPS ACE computers. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bignastyfart

bignastyfart wrote:

It means you did not purchase a tracking number when shipping your item at the retail counter and do not have access to tracking information for this parcel.  However, this PID is trackable by USPS employees in the PTS (track and confirm) system on USPS ACE computers. 

So if handling a dispute on here, does eBay accept the PID numbers or do you still have to give them a tracking number? If the PID is still trackable, but just through the USPS, you would think that would still be ok, since they would be able to tell you if a package was actually delivered or not.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to zombie06

zombie06 wrote:

bignastyfart wrote:

So if handling a dispute on here, does eBay accept the PID numbers or do you still have to give them a tracking number? If the PID is still trackable, but just through the USPS, you would think that would still be ok, since they would be able to tell you if a package was actually delivered or not.

Thanks!

im wondering the same thing now....i asked the clerk does my parcel come with tracking that i could see get updated online and she said "yes" so i go online and put in the number that she said would show tracking info and it didnt work(not found) it was a pid#

so im wondering if i get into a dispute will i automatically lose even tho its trackable by the usps?

Please use plain text.
nowibuystuff
Community Member

in reply to mistninja314

PayPal/eBay requires online viewable proof of delivery for the Seller to win an INR claim

Item Not Received

Seems only USPS employees have access to the PID# information

So since PayPal/eBay cannot see proof of delivery online PID# is worthless in the event of a false INR claim

Delivery Confirmation is now called "Tracking"

BUT seems to still be Delivery Confirmation

Copy & Paste from USPS site >>

If you shipped with Express Mail®, you’ll get point-by-point tracking details. If you used another service—USPS Tracking™, Certified Mail™, Registered Mail™ —you’ll see when it went out for delivery.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi

All of the PID#'s I have on FC parcels work as a tracking# when entered.

I have only had a delay a few times when they first started using it. Lately, they have all worked. A few times it showd acceptance to the city I was shipping it to, which was kind of screwy. But now, it seems to work fine.

Your mileage may vary.

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
sinsic31
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to trinkettrauma

the pid # seems to work fine... as a tracking number...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

PID, works just fine as tracking #. I just used it!

Please use plain text.
meggiemooshoo28
Community Member

Always keep post office receipts. It'll be hard to lose a claim if you scan and upload your receipt for the shipment with USPS.

Please use plain text.
sonig242013
Community Member

in reply to trinkettrauma

Hi, a friend of mine told me about this service but, in my local PO don't even know what a PID# means & I have try all the #'s in all the receipt I have but, non of them work, "Not Found" thats all I get.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sonig242013

I typed my PID # into the USPS tracker and it says not found, also when I type in the Label # that the post office told me was the tracking number it says not found...why is it not working! It has been 4 buisness days....

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sinsic31

Where did you type in your PID #? When I put mine in on the USPS site it says not found?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kristyn07

I inserted my Media Mail PID# here:  https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input

It told me when and where my package was delivered to, but since the label was archived I had to email (pop-up dialog box) the post office for further information on the delivery.

Please use plain text.
seacow_99
Community Member

in reply to sonig242013

You may have to wait a few hours.  Tracking information isn't always available right away.

Please use plain text.
rainbowgirl
Community Member

in reply to meggiemooshoo28

meggiemooshoo28 wrote:

Always keep post office receipts. It'll be hard to lose a claim if you scan and upload your receipt for the shipment with USPS.

Paypal does not accept post office receipts. You have to prove the item was delivered via online tracking. If you can't, the buyer wins, and you have to try to get the money back via any insurance you had. If you didn't have insurance you are SOL in that case. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I asked them for a tracking # and they said it's on the receipt but I got a pid number, not tracking.???
Please use plain text.
lenamae147
Community Member

in reply to weston889

dosent work, says not found

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lenamae147

LET ME PUT A FINAL END TO THIS CONVERSTION. ALMOST ALL USEFUL SHIPPING METHODS INCLUDE FREE TRACKING. FIRST CLASS PARCEL, PARCEL, PRIORITY. ON FIRST CLASS IT'S CALLED PID. THEY ARE ALL TRACKING NUMBERS. TRACKABLE ONLINE AND ON THE PHONE(DURING CERTAIN HOURS?) THE POST OFFICE DOES NOT WANT YOU TO KNOW THIS. THEY ARE ENGAGED IN FRAUD, AND THEFT BY DECEPTION. THEY TRY TO SELL YOU TRACKING NUMBERS ON ALL 3 PRODUCTS, KNOWING THEY ARE INCLUDED ALREADY. POST MASTERS ARE IGNORANT. POSTAL EMPLOYEES ARE IGNORANT. YOU CAN SHOW THEM THE PROOF CALL THE PID NUMBER IN ON YOUR PHONE, GET THE TRACKING INFO., AND THEY STILL WILL DENY THAT THAT'S HOW IT WORKS. YOU CAN GO BACK TO THE POST OFFICE THE NEXT DAY, AND YOU WILL SEE THEM ENGAGED IN FRAUD SELLING TRACKING NUMBERS TO INEXPERIENCED (DUMB) CUSTOMERS. I HAVE BATTLED FRAUD FOR 2 YEARS NOW AT THE P.O. THEY ARE ALL IN ON IT, AND CLAIM THEY ARE FORCED TO SELL TRACKING NUMBERS ON EVERYTHING BY THEIR "HIGHER UPS" WHEN YOU ASK FOR A NAME, THEY CAN'T GIVE YOU ONE. THEY MAKE UP SOME STORY ABOUT PEOPLE AT "ASK USPS.COM" THEY WILL TRY TO SELL YOU INSURANCE ON PRIORITY BOXES.  AND OF COURSE IF YOU KNOW THAT SCAM, THEY WILL SAY "EXTRA" INSURANCE OVER THE $50 AND WAIT TO SEE WHAT YOU SAY BEFORE THEY RESPOND. TRACKING NUMBER IS A BIT OF A SCAM FOR PAYPAL, LOTS OF TIMES THE MAILMAN ON THE OTHER END WON'T SCAN IN THE DELIVERY. AND GUESS WHAT? IT SHOWS NEVER DELIVERD. YOU LOSE AGAIN WITH EBAY/PAYPAL. AS FAR AS NUMBERS NOT WORKING, THEY ALL WORK IF YOU TYPE THEM IN CORRECTLY. TAKES HOURS TO DAYS BEFORE THEY SHOW UP ANYWHERE. I'VE HAD PACKAGES THAT WERE ALREADY DELIVERED BEFORE THE TRACKING INFO. EVEN WORKED. THUS KIND OF NEGATING THE NEED FOR IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. SPREAD THE WORD PEOPLE- USPS=FRAUD, ALMOST ANY SERVICE WORTH USING HAS FREE TRACKING, PID=TRACKING, NO MATTER HOW MANY LIES YOU HEAR, PID IS EVEN TRACKABLE BY PHONE AT 800-222-1811 DURING CERTAIN HOURS. YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL BECAUSE ALL THESE NUMBERS START WITH 9114 FOR THE MOST PART. HAVE FUN TELLING YOUR LOCAL POSTMASTER HE / SHE IS A IGNORANT THIEF. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW BIG THIS SCAM IS. THEY ARE ALL **bleep** ABOUT PENSION PRE-FUNDING BILL(CONGRESS) AND THEY WANT THEIR MONEY BACK. THAT'S WHERE YOU COME IN. CHEERS............

Please use plain text.