eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Merry Christmas

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

urbangorilla1337
Community Member
Accepted Solution

Richmond CA sorting facility and lost packages

I've noticed quite a few people are having problems receiving pkgs that get stuck and lost at the USPS Richmond CA sorting facility.

I'm having the same problem with a shipment...ultimate destination NV. Sent with Delivery Confirmation August 29. Last DC tracking on September 2, says it is still at the sorting facility in Richmond CA. Buyer notified me a couple of days ago.

I filed a case with the USPS but of course will refund total amount to this really nice patient buyer.

I hope everyone having this problem will file a case as Richmond sorting facility seems to be the "Roach Motel" of mail centers. (pkgs check in but they don't check out.)

It takes a little time but maybe if there are enough of us having this probem filing cases,  something will be done about this sorting facility. To file a case:

Call this number and KEEP PRESSING 0's until you get a person. Do not press any other number or you will get in an endless loop.

Call 1-800-ASK-USPS® (800-275-8777)
M-F - 8:00am-8:30pm ET
Sat - 8:00am-6:00pm ET
Sun/Holidays* - Closed

("If we don't hang together, we shall all hang separately."  Ben Franklin)

ruths_dream
Community Member

Re: Richmond CA sorting facility and lost packages

in reply to urbangorilla1337

wow so sorry for you. what happens if in a week or so that buyer actually gets the item?

Life Is A One Time Offer,
Use It Well.
everything-from-trinkets-to-treasures
Community Member

3 or 4 days is not getting lost or stuck anywhere.

An item isn't even considered lost until 21 days.

Sorting facilities can be very busy with a lot of mail going through them.

There is a huge difference between what is being said and being unreasonabley impatient.

everything-from-trinkets-to-treasures
Community Member

And delivery confirmation is NOT tracking. It is not always scanned enroute. It is only required to be scanned upon delivery......so you also have no idea where your item may actually be.

urbangorilla1337
Community Member

Hi Ruths_dream,

Thanks for your kind words. Richmond seems to be a real problem for many.

I will happily refund the buyer. He has told me he knows it isn't my fault and was patiently waiting for almost 30 days before he contacted me.

I truly believe, if he receives it someday, he will let me know. He's seems like that kind of guy.

I think in the future I will insure ALL pkgs to Nevada no matter the price of the item.

Thanks to all that responded.

Community Member

i have a package went to richmond ca on may 16 and it says

"In transit to local Post Office - Allow two to three additional days for delivery

May-16-12, 16:13 PM, RICHMOND, CA 94804"

it's already july 3 and no trace of parcel :smileysad:

i trusted the seller that they sent it so i didnt file a complain :smileysad:

how many occassions have passed and wishing to wear those clothes. i ended up wearing old ones :smileysad:

nolanp7369
Community Member

I found a great blog about this problem. . it seems to be based out of Hawaii where I sent a package via Priority 2 weeks ago that still hasn't arrived. Please check it out..there are 3 total articles on the blog about the Richmond, CA Sorting facility:

http://www.disappearednews.com/2012/07/why-packages-seem-to-disappear-into.html

I also found out that USPS doesn't guarantee Priority estimated delivery dates. I paid extra for Priority over Parcel Post and it's taking the same amount of time. I hope this helps. I'm also still crossing my fingers that my package arrives to it's destination soon!

portuguesa978
Community Member

I too have had problems in Richmond CA.  I sent a package out on Sept 4 to a customer and the package was stuck at Richmond from Sept. 7 to Sept 20.  Totally unnacceptable.  I ended up refunding the buyer to make sure they were happy and didnt take this crappy service out on me as I did everything a competent, good seller would do.  Item was shipped within 24 hours of receiving payment with delivery confirmation.  Thankfully the buyer understood.  Bottom line is I no longer want to ship to certain parts of CA NV or HI to avoid me having to refund a customer everytime a piece of mail goes to Richmond CA.  I simply put in my listings that potential buyers from these areas must contact me before bidding so I can explain to them the situation at the Richmond CA sorting facility.  Its ridiculous but i feel its necessary.  If Richmond cant function properly in a timely manner as every other sorting facility then something needs to be done.  I t consistently gets complaints about lost or or peices of mail being held for enormous amounts of time.  Heads need to roll there.  If they cant provide an adequate sevice like every other USPS sorting facility then shut it down.  Google "problems with Richmond CA sorting facility" to see how many people have complained and are affected by there subpay service.

Community Member

You can add me to the list of people with lost packages in Richmond CA. I have two of them.  One of them cost $20 to ship, so I am out that shipping cost if they don't find it. It was shipped September 17 from St. Louis and shows as being in Richmond CA since Sept 21.  I filed a case, and they haven't found it yet.  They say I must wait one month from the shipping date before I can file for my insurance.  I am tempted to refund my buyer now, but they made it sound like it could show up between now and then. This was a large heavy package of books - it weighed over 45 pounds - so I am amazed they lost it. 

My other lost package is an odd case - was supposed to go to NY from MO but somehow ended up in Richmond CA.  It has been there for 3 days. I am filing another case.  Does anyone know if there a way we can report these problems farther up the chain at the post office so they will look into the cause?  It makes me think there may be some theft going on there.
Community Member

in reply to everything-from-trinkets-to-treasures
The USPS told me that (even though I have tracking AND it shows my package left their sort facility on July 11, 2013 with an expected delivery date of July 15) ~ they have "No way of knowing where" my package is. What is the reason we pay for tracking numbers then? I think they have a thief in their midst.
Community Member

You can add me to the list as well!!! Did anyone ever get there packages??? And this is very strange, are they just stealing packages???? I just talked to an agent from that #...He was RUDE...told me it was lost and deal with it, to make the seller send me another package or give me my money back!!! I was shocked!!!
Community Member

in reply to cathmw
I think there is theft going on there too!!! I can't believe all the packages being lost FROM E BAY just at this facility!!!
Community Member

in reply to everything-from-trinkets-to-treasures
I don't agree...The sorting facility in Richmond is less the 100 miles from where I live. My package was scanned on the 6th said it would be delivered the next day...cause again, that's how close I live to that facility. It is now the 12th...and there is No MORE info about where this package is...I do know that it could still show up, but it has been days and they don't know where it is???I would say, ITS LOST!!!!
Community Member

Going to call that number in the morning. I purchased an...

Going to call that number in the morning.

I purchased an item July  7th, and it still hasnt arrived! GAH. been almost 2 months. so unbelievably frustrating. Post office guy i talked too said it will just take a couple weeks.... but it's definetly been way longer! spent about $45.. i'd like my item please!

Community Member

I'm having the same issue. Finally talking to someone fro...

I'm having the same issue. Finally talking to someone from USPS after .5 wait.

nightdriver7
Community Member

If the item is lost and you have DC, send a claim to the USPS. They will reimburse you after a certain time limit. Also, if it doesn't arrive and your buyer sends a claim to Ebay, If you have DC, ebay will not charge you for it

bffyfan
Community Member

in reply to nightdriver7

nightdriver7 wrote:

If the item is lost and you have DC, send a claim to the USPS. They will reimburse you after a certain time limit. Also, if it doesn't arrive and your buyer sends a claim to Ebay, If you have DC, ebay will not charge you for it

Umm, no it really does not work that way.

olecram88
Community Member

in reply to bffyfan

Richmond CA sorting facility should close and everybody replaced with competent, honest staff.  Theft and carelessness is a way of life in that rotting facility. My Ebay purchase for delivery to the South Bay area hopped from Richmond to Santa Rosa to Richmond to Bell Gardens to Richmond again and to Bell Garden again. They are the rotten apples of an otherwise good box of apples.  Karma is a **bleep** and I'm sure it'll get to them one way or another.  I can't wait.

rsquaredpi
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to olecram88

Oh bump...

I have two packages to Hawaii that are stuck at Richmond, CA with no further updates.

Last tracking update was October 11th, and 1 buyer already filed a claim against me.

I am no longer shipping to Hawaii and no longer selling on eBay after this because these are $300 worth of items. I can't afford to refund them and then get denied on the insurance claim a month later because it finally gets delivered. (I am betting this will happen).

Ebay needs to make buyers pay back the money if the item eventually gets delivered.

Either way, they have put me out of the selling business for good. I am closing my account too once the items I recently bought arrive.

Community Member

in reply to rsquaredpi

emptispaces wrote:

Oh bump...

I have two packages to Hawaii that are stuck at Richmond, CA with no further updates.

Last tracking update was October 11th, and 1 buyer already filed a claim against me.

I am no longer shipping to Hawaii and no longer selling on eBay after this because these are $300 worth of items. I can't afford to refund them and then get denied on the insurance claim a month later because it finally gets delivered. (I am betting this will happen).

Ebay needs to make buyers pay back the money if the item eventually gets delivered.

Either way, they have put me out of the selling business for good. I am closing my account too once the items I recently bought arrive.

What was your mail class used? If not First Class or Faster items do take some time to get to Hawaii-typically 2-3 weeks in many cases. Did you have insurance? 

Are you baby sitting the tracking or is your buyer?

Have you emailed them of any problem? DO NOT.

They are probably aware that items take a few days to get there.

I mail an Item from the East coast to the west and it goes media mail, I mail it Friday and Saturday it hits the Sort Facility here and Today Tuesday it updates with Bell. I do not freak that it took 3 days to get from the facility in here to the facility in CA. I have no illusions that media mail to Southern California will take a 6-8 days if lucky.

Do not , I repeat do not email the buyer.

I do not understand how insurance got denied.

If the buyer has any issue please come back and start a new thread about that and we will give you guidance.