cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Using eBay Shipping Label and Printing

Hello:

For years, I've been doing my own Shipping by printing Labels, however now I'm seriously thinking of  eBay Shipping method by printing through eBay.

My questions are:

(1) How can I find costs I'm going to pay for each of shipping, since I'm selling more than 15 items.

(2) Since eBay label on the package, I do not need to go through paying shipping charge which Post Office front clerk charge.

(3) Any other useful ideas/hints would be truly appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

(1) You can go to the USPS site and look up the Commercial Rate Tables. That is what we pay because

(2) the rate is less when you print your labels online. This is true for pretty much any online postage place. One advantage to using eBay is that the tracking info is automatically added to the transaction.

(3) Make sure you get the weight and dimensions right. There is no room for error. Other than that it is basically a no-brainer to use.

I have always bought and printed my labels through ebay after I bought a digital scale. I've never had any problems with using it.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I'm not 100% clear on understanding your question. Your listings all indicate Free Expedited Shipping. Usually that means you selected some form of USPS Priority service, which you've elected to pay instead of charging the buyer. Your item would be listed at a price to cover your shipping cost. 

Have you determined how you will actually ship the items once they sell? Before I decide on a shipping method, I weigh the item, the packaging, including the box, mailer, tissue paper, packing materials, etc. If I can't beat the price of a flat rate option, I go with that. How large are your items? How much do they weigh, how large of a box do they require, what additional packing materials are required to ensure undamaged items reach your buyer? All those factors have to be taken into consideration BEFORE listing your item.

Or am I misunderstanding your question completely? If you are trying to determine the cost difference in printing your labels using eBay's built in Print Shipping Label feature versus printing on your own, the cost is about 10% cheaper. A Flat Rate Priority Padded Envelope is $7.20, but printing the label through eBay, I pay $6.50, or $.70 less.

The money is automatically deducted from my PayPal account. No paying at the post office. You can order free Priority Shipping supplies from USPS.com, and they'll be delivered by your mail carrier. Also, printing your label through eBay automatically uploads the tracking info.

Belle
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

When you purchase a postage label through eBay, you pay a discounted online rate for all services (except Media Mail). This is charged to your PayPal account.  You tape the label onto your package and then you can (1) request carrier pickup; (2) leave it for your carrier; (3) drop it into any mailbox that it fits into; or (4) hand it over-the-counter at your local Post Office.  

You can look up the rates in the official USPS rates publication, Notice 123. The eBay rate for Priority Mail is the "Commercial Base" rate.

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks all for the responses with excellent informations regarding printing and shipping through eBay.

One big concern is I have no weight-scale.  Do I need to purchase it before printing shipping label through eBay? I can definitely measure each boxes, however it's  about a weight of each box.

Also, shipping-cost automatically goes into PayPal when printing shipping label through eBay?

Thanks again,

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Yes, you want a scale so you can get the weight right.  I wouldn't print online postage without knowing the weight.

Yes, the cost of the postage is immediately deducted from your PayPal account....unless you use FedEx. Then it is billed to eBay and eBay bills it to you (if I have that right. I would never use fedex.)

Message 6 of 6
latest reply