cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lied to and threatened by seller

I recently bought a high end antique watch from a seller. It was stated that the watch was "serviced" meaning the watch had recently been gone over and was fit for use. Long story short I had the watch less than 3 weeks before it exhibited eratic behavior. It would run for awhile after winding it and then stop working, so I initiated a return. The seller at first agreed and sent me a label. Hours later he started emailing me multiple times stating he never agreed to a return and that if I returned the watch he would send it back. Even accused me of dropping it and that I had damaged the stem, crown, and crystal. Which is not the case at all. He even went as far as to contact my personal email and threatened to come to my house and make me eat the watch which his son would video tape. I sent the watch out today and i'm sure I won't get my refund without a fight. Never had this happen before. What would you folks do and how would you go about it? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

That is horrendous behavior on the seller's part.  Hopefully (who knows if they will though) Ebay will deem it outrageous and suspend or bar this seller. Hopefully Ebay will take care of it for you.  Keep us posted.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

The seller does not have a choice about whether to refund you. If he doesn't, ebay will do it for him.

You can also report the threatening message to the buyers local police department. Most of the time, a visit from a police officer will shut him up quickly.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

How does Ebay know he is doing this? I have tried and tried to report him. They don't make it easy at all to contact support

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Theres a Help And Contact link at the bottom of every page..use Buyer problem, then Problem with a Seller.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I just contacted Ebay support and they told me even if he sends the watch back to me he is responsible to pay me a refund because he agreed to it in the first place and that they would block all further contact member to member. This makes me feel better

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Thats great..and you know to use tracking...

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@jasonandjeanice wrote:

How does Ebay know he is doing this? I have tried and tried to report him. They don't make it easy at all to contact support

It's not a reportable offense, as stated on the help & contact page for reporting a seller. Ebay does not investigate member to member contact. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

If you filed a return as item not as described, then the seller doesn't have to agree to it.  They can refund without the return, but that's not the same as refusing the return.   That is the reason you used -- correct?

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@jasonandjeanice,

If all you have done so far is to request a return, do not ship the watch.  Open a Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) dispute. The seller will then have to provide a return shipping label, and refund you within 6 days of tracking showing the item was returned. If they refuse the delivery you can then ask ebay to step in and they will refund you and sanction the seller.

Is the seller located near you? If not do you really think they will travel some distance just to beat you up? Unfortunately, there are some sellers who make threats, but I do not remember ever hearing of one carrying out a threat.  Just in case, print out the message, and contact your local PD. See if they will contact the seller's local PD and report the threat. That should calm them down very quickly.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

He sent me a return shipping label, that's the thing. Then started giving me a hard time over the return

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

That's the thing, The seller provided a return label then started harassing me over it.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

The guy provided me with a return label. he's freakin crazy. A few hours after he accepted he started emailing my ebay saying no returns then he threatened me through my yahoo email. I have already contacted Ebay and they said I did the right thing and they will cover the return even if he sends it back. I'm not worried about him coming here LOL, Just saying he's a jerk for even saying he would.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Yes he is.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Here's what you do as I've suggested many times on here (it's worked for me).

Take screenshots of the messages sent outside of ebay and find a way to save them in ebay, or email them to the seller.  This way, a CS rep can pull them up along with the other details and view them.  Use the Help & Contact button on the top left of the page.  Call between 8 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. M-F (those times are Central Standard).  Just click through and see if you can get anyone for that listing, tell them they are threatening you etc., and they will connect you with the right department.

Personally, I'm aggressive when people treat me like that so, I would have sent him a picture of my boyfriend and some of our friends that are huge chronically irked bikers and reminded the seller that I have his address too.... But that's just me.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply