eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Item not as described. Who should pay return shipping ?

Hi,

I have a question at ask.

I recently purchased a Bluray from a US based seller, and the item wasn't what was described. In the posting, the Bluray was described to be the US version, and the buyer also specifically mentioned the barcode of the US based version, and also stated that he only provided US based Blurays in the posting. However, the item I received was the Canadian version, and not the US version. Not a very big issue maybe, but since I only collect US Blurays (which I have more than 280 of!), this Canadian version is useless to me.

The seller does accept returns, and has chosen the 'buyer pays return shipping' option for this item.

So in such a case, should the buyer be the one to pay the return shipping cost ? Because its not the buyer's fault in the first place, and the seller admits that it was his error.

In his last reply, the seller told me that he can give me a replacement/refund, provided I send the bluray back to his at my own expense.

The way I see is that in such case, the seller should either completely replacement or refund the item at his expense, since its not the buyer's fault, and the seller should also be the one to pay return shipping. I think that the 'buyer pays return shipping' option is only for cases when the seller had provided the correct item, and the buyer wants to return it because of some issue at the buyer's end. Correct ?

Please use plain text.
bellabellabazar
Community Member

Re: Item not as described. Who should pay return shipping ?

in reply to ahmadka2

This just happened to me.A item that worked before I shipped it didn't work when buyer received it.I asked her to send it back and she filed a claim for a refund and the shipping was charged to me(the seller).She now wants a replacement...which I had offered and now I'm wondering who pays for shipping it back!

Please use plain text.
carlmarxx
Community Member

in reply to ahmadka2

Hi,

I have a question at ask.

I recently purchased a Bluray from a US based seller, and the item wasn't what was described. In the posting, the Bluray was described to be the US version, and the buyer also specifically mentioned the barcode of the US based version, and also stated that he only provided US based Blurays in the posting. However, the item I received was the Canadian version, and not the US version. Not a very big issue maybe, but since I only collect US Blurays (which I have more than 280 of!), this Canadian version is useless to me.

The seller does accept returns, and has chosen the 'buyer pays return shipping' option for this item.

So in such a case, should the buyer be the one to pay the return shipping cost ? Because its not the buyer's fault in the first place, and the seller admits that it was his error.

In his last reply, the seller told me that he can give me a replacement/refund, provided I send the bluray back to his at my own expense.

The way I see is that in such case, the seller should either completely replacement or refund the item at his expense, since its not the buyer's fault, and the seller should also be the one to pay return shipping. I think that the 'buyer pays return shipping' option is only for cases when the seller had provided the correct item, and the buyer wants to return it because of some issue at the buyer's end. Correct ?

OP:  you bought from a drop shipper seller  from sound of your problem ,These sellers have no control with the supplyer wearhouse. I would reconmemd calling up that seller and be nice . if that fails then file for a SNAD and give full details .

Please use plain text.
carlmarxx
Community Member

in reply to ahmadka2

OP:  you bought from a drop shipper seller  from sound of your problem ,These sellers have no control with the supplyer wearhouse. I would reconmemd calling up that seller and be nice . if that fails then file for a SNAD and give full details .

Bell: since your buyer filed for full refund and where paid off. That buyer has no right too ask for a replacement. .

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ahmadka2

ahmadka2   I have experienced this situation one time with a seller (missing parts and completely wrong description) and seller told me that ebay policy states that buyer incurs the cost for return shipping which I find as a flawed policy, why should we loose money and have nothing to show for it ,not sorry  and that does not fly. If buyer bought some thing and he or she made a misjudgment on color,measurements,wrong this or that then I could understand you or I flipping the bill for return,but if seller made the mistake of advertising something that they knowingly or unknowingly described to a paying customer than they should incur the burden of cost for return for it is there responsibility to get it correct so paying consumers could buy with confidence. Do not let some one take money out of your pocket and let them use excuses that cost you. If you bought from them solely on the basis of there description and received something different and seller has no integrity than open a not as described claim and be polite and professional when talking to a customer representative , but I would state my grievances through messaging to the seller first and make a good argument that you should not lose a penny for there misrepresentation .Do not let the allotted return time past and do not feel guilty for opening a case for it is us buyers who bring the funds and business to ebay. If you make a good argument to ebay they may send you a return slip for shipping ,but be polite and cordial when arguing your case and start asking more questions to sellers before buying for I have found that this covers the small details of an item and makes a smother transaction for both seller and buyer. Good luck!

Please use plain text.
mellapmella
Community Member

in reply to ahmadka2

Who pays for what? Big question. Although it is not eBay policy for a seller to pay for return shipping, when item is not as described, it really should be. Its not the buyers fault that seller did not use full discloser or correct description. Buyers should not have to pay for return shipping.  They should not be punished for no fault of their own.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ahmadka2

Are you  purchasing this from Canada?

The seller may have it automatically set up to ship US versions to US addresses, and Canadian ones to Canadian addresses. Unless you specifically asked for a US I think it was your failure by making an assumption. 

He may have contractual or legal obligations from the manufacturer because of DRM or similar issues. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ahmadka2

in managed returns sellers pay return postage in complaints, those not useing it can chose to pay it or not. ebay doesn't require either

age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Please use plain text.
deeplist
Community Member

in reply to ahmadka2

I thought the United States and Canada were both Region 1?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Blu-ray_regions_with_key.png

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ahmadka2

This seems to happen to me more and more as I received defective items that were advertised as "Works Good", and l wind up paying for return shipping. I would suspect there are seller's who buy bulk items where items conditions are unknown and advertise them as good working order. It would cost sellers too much time and money to test each one out, and they just rely on customers to weed out the bad items, and offer them a "Full Refund" as they are like doing a customer a service. This practice is much more profitable to seller as buyers bid up the expected good working item that were never tested. If seller would have honestly advertised as "Condition Unknown", the final bid will come in lower or no sale. Unfortunately for Ebay, the buyer paying return shipping policy will drive may customers to Amazon, as this is not only waist customer money, but also customer's time.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ahmadka2

100% agreed. I am about to stop buying on ebay because of a few recent cases where I was sent an item that was not up to the standards in the description and ended up having to pay return shipping myself.

Please use plain text.
crazy_daisy01
Community Member

in reply to ahmadka2

If the term "Buyer pays return shipping" was listed in the returns description then that is what ebay will stick with as you agreed to that when you purchased the item. It's not fair for buyers to have to pay this when it is clearly the sellers mistake but I think ebay has it set up this way since they know the seller is & will continue to be out the original shipping. A great seller will be willing to pay for their mistakes. This one doesn't sound so great ?:smileyindifferent:

Our prayers may be awkward. Our attempts may be feeble. But since the power of prayer is in the One who hears it and not in the one who says it, our prayers do make a difference. -Max Lucado
Please use plain text.
suzy0572
Community Member

in reply to crazy_daisy01

Just happened to me also, bought a car code scanner the 1st one didn't even connect to the car, seller sent a replacement model (different from original) this did connect to car, but did NOT do what the seller advertises which is to remove warning lights, also it may of connected to the car but doesn't show any fault codes, so as far as the scanner is concerned then there is no warning light lit to remove, when in fact there is a warning light on my dash and you can do a pedal test to find the code on my car, which I have done, so I know the fault code and there is a warning light on, but this device says different, so item is NOT as described because it is not finding any codes and you cannot remove warning lights, yet he expects me to pay for the return and be out of pocket and end up with nothing for the privileged of spending money, as others have previously stated this is totally wrong, why should we pay when the seller is not supplying working products. ITS NOT OUR FAULT, the only mistake I made was not reading the returns policy  I will do in the future and not deal with any one who states I have to pay for THERE MISTAKES. Another thing while I'm on my high horse I should have known not to deal with any one who private lists his items when they are not of a sensitive nature, what is he trying to hide ?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to suzy0572

If the return policy says "Buyer pays return shipping" then don't buy it. You will be looking a long time though for a seller who volunteers to pay return shipping in their listing.

I would never advertise that i will reimburse for return shipping but i will if i am at fault. I will give a discount in the amount of return shipping on the next order. 

How do us sellers know buyers are being truthful to begin with?

I had 1 buyer tell me the screen printing on a concert tee shirt came off after 1 washing. Was i supposed to just believe them? Heck no, return the item and when i see it i will send out a new one. The buyer paid to send it back and when i checked it out and saw they were correct i sent them 2 different shirts from the same concert series and they were happy as could be.

There are many mail order companies that do not pay for return shipping.

Just because a seller does not pay for a return does not make them a bad seller. I will agree there are bad sellers out there, just as there are bad buyers.

Please use plain text.
radom_stuff
Community Member

in reply to koolcab

The buyer shouldn't have to pay return shipping here and sellers shouldn't have to pay to ship a shirt that doesn't fit because the buyer made a mistake. But that it how it works. Just ask him if he will pay return. If he cares a bout his DSRs then he might just do it. I would.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to crazy_daisy01

I understand that it is eBay policy for the buyer to eat the cost of shipping on an "item not as described." (My problems have been with items that actually were not the item described, not quality control issues.)  Is there any way to find out their reasoning for this, just for grins? Is there any effective way to suggest that this is wrong? I find that talking to eBay is like talking to a fence post: It will do what it will do, regardless of what I do.

Please use plain text.
winteriscoming
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to cheddar_bay

Ebay has no realistic way to know who is telling the truth in a dispute.  They never hold the merchandise and the manhours it would take to fully investigate the minutae of the millions of transactions that happen daily would be unsustainable.

So, they split the baby.  On a disputed claim, the seller loses the outgoing shipping cost and the buyer loses the return shipping cost.

There is also some banking issues involved.  They can only reclaim up to the original payment amount.  There is no method for them to take the return shipping cost without seller consent.   There is a program called Managed Returns, that does just that, but seller must agree and opt into it.

Managed returns is only practical for extremely large volume sellers however, where the cost to process the returns is more than the cost loss in false SNAD claims just for return shipping.

“Community just got a facelift, thanks to you! No, really. You told us it could be better & we changed it.”
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to winteriscoming

If you drive to the next town and buy something at Costco or Target, return home and find it is defective, Costco and Target do not reimburse you for your gas when you drive back to return it. Why should a seller pay for return shipping?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to neithernor2013

"If you drive to the next town and buy something at Costco or Target, return home and find it is defective, Costco and Target do not reimburse you for your gas when you drive back to return it. Why should a seller pay for return shipping?"

I find your analogy weak:  Gas costs to get to what is usually a nearby store are much cheaper than most Ebay shipping costs, especially when Ebay sellers tack on what I'm finding to be the typical exorbitant "handling" charges. 

I am a new buyer to Ebay, and I was not aware that if my item gets to me not as described that I will have to pay for return shipping; I guess that I've dealt with Amazon so long that I assumed a company would stand by a customer who is getting ripped off.  I just hope that my first purchase I made yesterday doesn't fall into the "rip-off" category.  Now that I realize this policy, though, I doubt that I will purchase anything else from Ebay. It's not worth the risk.  For instance, shipping charges for my item amounted to approx. $35, and I would be really ticked off if I had to pay that amount for nothing.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to winteriscoming

winteriscoming wrote:

Ebay has no realistic way to know who is telling the truth in a dispute.  They never hold the merchandise and the manhours it would take to fully investigate the minutae of the millions of transactions that happen daily would be unsustainable.

So, they split the baby.  On a disputed claim, the seller loses the outgoing shipping cost and the buyer loses the return shipping cost.

There is also some banking issues involved.  They can only reclaim up to the original payment amount.  There is no method for them to take the return shipping cost without seller consent.   There is a program called Managed Returns, that does just that, but seller must agree and opt into it.

Managed returns is only practical for extremely large volume sellers however, where the cost to process the returns is more than the cost loss in false SNAD claims just for return shipping.

So, let's say that one were to get a "full refund"---does that mean a refund of the price of the product and the initial shipping costs (from seller to buyer)?  Then, the only cost to the buyer who wants to return the item would be the cost of the shipping back to the seller?  Just curious.

Please use plain text.