cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Shipping Cost added onto Declared Value

About 35% of my sales are international. I do not use the GSP. I use ShipSaver to insure packages. ShipSaver will not re-imburse the shipping cost unless it is part of the declared value. NBD until I just came across this 'ebay money back guarantee' policy:

The buyer is responsible for paying any customs and duty fees for international shipping. (so far so good)

Exception: The seller overstated the value of the item, which caused customs fees to be higher (now, this IS NOT good!)

Any other sellers familiar with this situation? Does this eBay policy consider the shipping cost separate or as part of the declared value?

Thank You!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

That is the value you declare with Shipsaver, which by default, is the sale price plus shipping cost.    The value you declare on the customs form is completely irrelevant. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

It is not eBay that adds in the cost of shipping, I am pretty sure that is it is the buyer's country.  I use to have a link that breaks down the amount international buyer(s) have to pay in total.  Let me see if I can google it again.  

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I tried to edit my original post but ran out of time.  The link is below: 

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/23...

please not the section on shipping cost and insurance

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@postingid2017 wrote:

This one is blank: 

http://www.importcalculator.com/http://www.importcalculator.com/

Thank you for your time anyway 😉

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Customs fees are based on the total cost of the item to the buyer.  It would be price + shipping cost shown on the package.

If you declare the item value to be more (to cover what you spent on shipping for insurance purposes) then the buyer will be charged more.

You do know the buyer has to sign an affidavit about the loss/damage? and there are some wonky timelines and they suggest not paying out until your settlement is approved.

https://www.shipsaver.com/faq#top

https://www.shipsaver.com/terms

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@postingid2017 wrote:

I tried to edit my original post but ran out of time.  The link is below: 

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/23...

please not the section on shipping cost and insurance

😉

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Smart sellers don't buy insurance.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Some countries charge VAT on the postage amount, so declaring a higher value means the buyer pays VAT twice! Most notably, the UK does this.

The declared value is for the merchandise ONLY -- as supported by an itemized invoice or priced packing list. There is no "eBay policy" with regard to declared value. Customs retains the ability to re-value any incoming merchandise, usually upward and applicable to new goods, not used.

Also, USPS automatically includes up to $200 indemnity on international Priority Mail -- not the small FRB or the various FRE's -- so purchasing additional insurance from any source is not necessary. In fact, the UK does not even allow additional insurance and many countries impose upper limits.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I use ShipSaver to insure packages. ShipSaver will not re-imburse the shipping cost unless it is part of the declared value.

I've used ShipSaver for years and they have always covered the shipping cost.      They have also always covered the amount I've insured the transaction for (the sale price), the value I declare on the customs form is not only irrelevant, but also unbeknownst to them during the claim process.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@green-night wrote:

I use ShipSaver to insure packages. ShipSaver will not re-imburse the shipping cost unless it is part of the declared value.

I've used ShipSaver for years and they have always covered the shipping cost.      They have also always covered the amount I've insured the transaction for (the sale price), the value I declare on the customs form is not only irrelevant, but also unbeknownst to them during the claim process.

Hello green, I posted because of this under shipsaver faq's:

Can I insure my shipping and handling?

Yes! Make sure that your shipping and handling costs is part of your declared value. For example: If you sell an item for $20.00 and the shipping & handling is $5.00, you can declare a value of $25.00 for coverage. Shipping & handling charges are only recoverable if the value is declared in the insured value. Insurance fees are excluded from coverage.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

That is the value you declare with Shipsaver, which by default, is the sale price plus shipping cost.    The value you declare on the customs form is completely irrelevant. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@green-night wrote:

thank u so much!!

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

Smart sellers don't buy insurance.

But so grateful I did, got back over $2000 on insured pkgs 🙂

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

How much money have you spent on insurance over the years?

Message 15 of 15
latest reply