cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Produce a return Request after 30 days.

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem where the Seller agreed to a Refund and is quite happy to do so but is asking me to set up a Refund Request.

I returned the goods immediately upon receipt following amicable emails between us but for some reason it took over 30 days for the Post Office to deliver back to the seller.

Hence there has been a delay because the Seller obviously did not want to Refund without the goods in hand.

So I had to wait to hear from hime ref he had received Items back.

Now the eBay system says I cannot set up a Refund request because it is beyond 30 days.

Where do we go from here - any ideas.

While writing I would say that I think eBay is great but trying to find any way to make any sensible contact over this has proved impossible.

Very very frustrating!!   Smiley Mad  How do you get into contact with anyone??

Best Rgds.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@cmx2556 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem where the Seller agreed to a Refund and is quite happy to do so but is asking me to set up a Refund Request.

I returned the goods immediately upon receipt following amicable emails between us but for some reason it took over 30 days for the Post Office to deliver back to the seller.

Hence there has been a delay because the Seller obviously did not want to Refund without the goods in hand.

So I had to wait to hear from hime ref he had received Items back.

Now the eBay system says I cannot set up a Refund request because it is beyond 30 days.

Where do we go from here - any ideas.

While writing I would say that I think eBay is great but trying to find any way to make any sensible contact over this has proved impossible.

Very very frustrating!!   Smiley Mad  How do you get into contact with anyone??

Best Rgds.

Why didn't you "set up" this refund request to begin with?

Always set up a returns request. Every big organization, if you wish to get a refund there exists a process that must be followed. Failure to follow the process via the set up of a returns request can easily result in a refund less than full (to include no refund at all).

Not to mention, failure to open such a request robs the seller of their Final Value Fees.

When returning a product for a refund on ebay, there exists a process that must be followed.  This process involves several steps, failure to follow these steps may place the buyer outside of ebay's buyer protection scheme and that means the refund is no longer guaranteed.

Always follow the process, every big organization if you wish to get a refund, there exists a process.

On ebay, the returns process is outlined here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/return-item.html

If you have mailed back the merchandise and you did not set up such a returns request by following the process, I'm afraid your odds of receiving much of a refund are fairly slim.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I'd ask your buyer why they can't just refund you on their own.   They don't need a return request set up to process a refund.   They can do it through Paypal.   

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Hi,

Thnxs for reply.

I did in fact set up such a request immediately - circa 12th June.

But then had to wait - wait - wait - for a reply from Seller stating returned Item received.

That confirmation only arrived on 17th July. although I returned circa 15th June.

From UK to Northern Ireland - should take a week at most??

An email from Seller  sates that it had arrived on 17th inst - I have been travelling a long way ( 2 weeks ) and so have only just checked my eBay.

On receiving this receipt confirmation by Seller I have gone to the resolution list Ibut find that eBay have deleted my entry on 15th inst due to 'lack of activity'.

I have no beef with the Seller who has behaved impcaably up to now - I just want to give the Seller his piece of paper - so that his returns dept can refund me.

Only bit I have found not enjoyable is circulating around and around eBay WEB site - ending up where I started with non the wise ref this problem.

I worked in software all my life from early 60's so I can assure I am not a 'mut'.  ;o))

Rgds.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Hi,

Thnxs for reply - yes I am going o do that - as I said in another reply - so far the Seller has behaved impeccably - the product was the right one but arrived way way too late - so agreed a return & refund.

I think probably it is just the Returns Dept at that end that would like a piece of paper to cover for  the refund.

I just wanted to help them as they seem OK guys.

Best Rgds.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Chargeback using the respective reason code with your credit card, e.g.

Visa chargeback Reason code 85 applies when the card issuer gets a notice from the cardholder that merchandise was returned, but merchant hasn’t refunded.

http://google.com/search?q=reason+code+85

This will result in two actions:

You'll get a provsional refund the same or the next day

Your seller will regret not refunding upon receipt of the return

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Hi,
Thnxs for this advice - if not solved soon will take that route.
Best Rgds.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Hi,

At this time I have stumbled upon a way to email eBay and have done that with all the necessary detail.

Once again the seller concerned has said they will refund - so I am asking eBay how to raise the necessary paperwork.

The promise to get back within 48 hours but so far no response.

It is just possible that the Seller has been stringing me along so that the refund period extended beyond the 30 days.

I hope not because then of course I would be angry - I very much believe in 'fair play ' and once my faith has been broken then I will go 'all in'.

I am a very good customer on eBay because of the way it operates suites me - would be silly of eBay not to help in this situation - but I have to say getting a contact with them not that easy.

Best Rgds.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Ebay isn't going to help you if you waited more than 30 days to open a case. You'be been given other alternatives--use them. Forger about eBay helping you. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@cmx2556 wrote:

...I think eBay is great but trying to find any way to make any sensible contact over this has proved impossible. Very very frustrating!!...

It sounds like you worked out a return with the seller directly. That's how returns used to be handled on eBay back in the day. No problem. Hopefully you returned it with tracking, I'll assume you did since you know how long it took to get to the seller. I would work with your seller (through eBay messages) and ask them for the refund now that they have the item back. Worst case, if all else fails, open a SNAD claim (I assume is was SNAD) on PayPal (you have upto 180 days from the purchase date) and add the tracking details to the case when need be.

BTW, eBay likes NOTHING in writing thus its all but impossible to contact them via eMail. You can call, but really they most likely won't/can't help you, you'll have to go through PayPal.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

try contacting paypal
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Hi,

I did open a case the day I sent the goods back - but for some reason post seems to have taken for ever to get back to the seller.

By that time eBay had closed the case as 32 days had passed.

Cannot get in touch with eBay because now  long way from UK.

Beginning to think maybe Seller stalled until 30 days up??

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Hi phcd1,

Now that information is really useful - thnxs so much - will give it a go.

I did not have the return tracked as have been advised in past to retunr to sender.

But do have an ebay email from the Seller confirming receipt.

Will give this a go.

Best Rgds

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@cmx2556 wrote:

Hi phcd1,

I did not have the return tracked as have been advised in past to retunr to sender.

Will give this a go.

Best Rgds

Then ebay can't help you @cmx2556. You lost your buyer protection when you essentially refused the package. The case closed against you because there was no proof of delivery to the seller. Did you upload the original tracking number to the return? You had a maximum of like 30 days to get the item back to the seller with proof of delivery. So no point contacting eBay again, you didn't follow the rules. I would suggest you stop doing "return to senders". It voids your buyer protection.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@cmx2556 wrote:

Hi phcd1,

Will give this a go.

Best Rgds

Then ebay can't help you @cmx2556. You lost your buyer protection when you essentially refused the package. The case closed against you because there was no proof of delivery to the seller. Did you upload the original tracking number to the return? You had a maximum of like 30 days to get the item back to the seller with proof of delivery. So no point contacting eBay again, you didn't follow the rules. I would suggest you stop doing "return to senders". It voids your buyer protection.

Hi Misjen316,

Thnxs for the information - I have been using eBay for 3 years or so now and as I travel a lot find it suites me very well.

This is the first time I ever did a return and it all became a bit confused due to the very long postage time for return.

But I believe in credit where credit is due so I would just use this opportunity to say that after a fair bit of correspondence to clarify all - the Seller has behaved impeccably and did a full refund.

So thank you car_parts_international  - I will certainly use you again.

Also thanks to all who helped me  here on this Forum - I understand the process far better now.

But how does one get in contact with eBay 'long distance' ( other side of world maybe) - other than to a roboticised reply machine?

Best Rgds to all.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply