cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filed to get money back from paypal from buying a dvd 7-2016 on my ebay . left great feedback.

On July 22 2016 I sold a dvd. She left me great feedback. Now over a year later on Aug. 17 2017 i get a email from paypal that she has filed a dispute. Under reason it said other. I can either return her money. Or i have already returned her money. Or i can reponse by submitting information that will resovle the case. Paypal has taken $15.39 out of my account and put it on hold!! Now iam negative . How can paypal not see that this item ( as i saw ) was bought over a year ago?? And then now take out the money to put it on hold till its resloved? What is there to resolve ? She bought it , got it, left great feedback. And now this over a year later she wants her money back ?? She is still a registered user on ebay. Can i report her for any violations ? If so where do i go to do this.I tried to report her but it wont take the item number as it is over 90 days. I plan on calling paypal in the morning. Anyone help would be appreaciated 

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Filed to get money back from paypal from buying a dvd 7-2016 on my ebay . left great feedback.

Even pay pal has a 180 day (6 month) time limit for disputes.  I think if you just call pay pal and point out this was sold over a year ago they will close the case in your favor and remove the hold on your funds.

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

If the buyer filed a chargeback which is the ONLY way this "case" could have been opened if your dates are correct then PayPals 180 day policy is out the window. What is the reason for the case or chargeback?

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 43
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

Even pay pal has a 180 day (6 month) time limit for disputes.  I think if you just call pay pal and point out this was sold over a year ago they will close the case in your favor and remove the hold on your funds.

Obviously its a chargeback or OPs date of purchase is wrong. 

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

I've never done a credit card chargeback/dispute but don't they have a time limit on how long you have to dispute a charge?  I would think 13 months is outside their time limit as well.

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

I've never done a credit card chargeback/dispute but don't they have a time limit on how long you have to dispute a charge?  I would think 13 months is outside their time limit as well.

Nope. Unauthorized use can be file filed years later. Many card issuers don't have an actual time limit either, some allow 1-2 years depending on the circumstances, some allow 6 months. MasterCard does everything on a case by case basis you could say. Depending on the reason for the chargeback they may allow one well after a year. 

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

The really does not make a lot of sense. Most time limits are exceeded at this time for any type of refund. The only thing that comes to mind is a chargeback which typically can be opened for a year or more (depending on the card). The only other thing I think it could be is a Unauthorized Transaction, but even that has a 60 day time limit. Can you post EXACTLY what the email says (minus the personal data) so we can help you better? If it is a chargeback, those are very difficult to fight as you have no direct access to the credit card company to respond to. You are limited by PayPal watering down your responses to them. There is also a $20 "fee" imposed by PayPal on chargeback bring your OOP costs to $35.39.  😞

With that being said, I HAVE indeed won chargebacks before, but not by going through PayPal. What I normally do is respond to the case through PayPal and then email the buyer directly through their personal email, not ebay messages, and try to clear things up with them. 99% of the time its a misunderstanding (didn't know what the charge was, thought they never got the widget, etc). Once I explain to the buyer who I am and what they purchased and they remember, I kindly ask then to close the case by calling the CREDIT CARD company first, and then through PayPal. This has worked for me a number of times.

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

Does anyone think that Pay Pal would go out of the NORMAL time limit IF the eBay account was stolen? You do need to find out the reason for the charge back. maybe when You give them the date of the Sale they might drop it but i'd sure like to hear the reason they are going beyond the limit!

I mean the 180 day MGB by Pay Pal also gives them time to discover any problems with Buyers accounts. Is it possible that Pay Pal needs to stand behind the Seller also any pay anything beyond 180 days out of their pockets? I mean the reason Sellers have to use them is for protection of their money. 

I mean just saying...

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

@imakesugar wrote:

...I mean the reason Sellers have to use them is for protection of their money. 

I mean just saying...

The main reason sellers use PayPal is because they have to, no other reason. PayPal protects nothing. Its been widely reported over the years (with law suits) about PayPal Confiscating Funds.

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

@imakesugar wrote:

Does anyone think that Pay Pal would go out of the NORMAL time limit IF the eBay account was stolen? You do need to find out the reason for the charge back. maybe when You give them the date of the Sale they might drop it but i'd sure like to hear the reason they are going beyond the limit!

I mean the 180 day MGB by Pay Pal also gives them time to discover any problems with Buyers accounts. Is it possible that Pay Pal needs to stand behind the Seller also any pay anything beyond 180 days out of their pockets? I mean the reason Sellers have to use them is for protection of their money. 

I mean just saying...

PayPal does not allow a case to be opened after 180 days. Anything after that is a credit card chargeback so PayPal shouldn't have to cover the seller in that situation. But they should make a valid attempt to dispute the chargeback on the sellers behalf, unfortunately they don't usually so that. On SNADs they usually don't fight them at all even if the seller has valid proof. I did see where a seller recently won an SNAD chargeback but usually they lose. 

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

Oh come on. Over a year?

Let this goooooooooooooo...........

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

excuse me you saying i should let it go ? Its been a year and now they want their money back. I m NOT a big ebay seller. And also if this is allowed how fair is this to the seller if buyers are allowed to get away with this after a year ?!!

@plumbingspecials wrote:

Oh come on. Over a year?

Let this goooooooooooooo...........

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

maybe you mis understood what i wrote. I do not want my money back . I sold a dvd July 2016. And now the buyer wants her money back ! 

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

@dbmartian wrote:

maybe you mis understood what i wrote. I do not want my money back . I sold a dvd July 2016. And now the buyer wants her money back ! 

We can't help you if you don't tell us exactly what is going on. If its a chargeback you have no choice but to give her the money back. You won't win because of the amount of time that has passed. @dbmartian please clarify, is this a chargeback and if so, what is the reason?

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

Exactly!!!

Message 15 of 43
latest reply