cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I ask for return & refund for an stolen item

I'd like to ask you what I can do for this situation, that I bought an software product which was stolen in US without my knowing, and that does not work for now because the serial number is banned by the software provider.

Situation)

I bought a musical software products at ebay, and at first, I installed it correctly into my PC, but currently it does not work.

I asked directly to the software provider, and they answered that serial number I am trying to use is that of stolen item, and banned already.

Just after that, I tried to contact the seller but he/she is alredy gone.

Can ask ebay for refund/return for this product?

Off course, when the item was on ebay, it said it is brand new and can be registered proporly.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

@taka_grace If a seller sold you a stolen product then you should call eBay to report it and resolve the details of your purchase.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Hi @copper.boom, I tried it from support page, but I could not find reporting that kind of violation when the seller account is alredy gone, and the transaction is done.

Would you kindly tell me the number for reporting this if you know that?

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

I'm sorry but I do not have any information for Japan customer service. Have you tried doing a Google search, or going through the help & contact links on ebay.co.jp ?

This is the US discussion forum. You may try to see if there is a forum for your local eBay site where somebody would have more information to help you.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

How did you pay for the  item?

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

@copper.boom

I bought this from ebay.com (I mean US ebay) and seller was also living in US, so I tried to find any email address or phone number to contact, but I could not find it yet from ebay's official information.

Maybe it is easier to search it on google, so I'm gonna try.

Thank you 🙂

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@takikawa4

I paid through Paypal for this.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

No matter where you are registered in the universe, if you bought an item on eBay US, you would resolve any problems on eBay US.

Even if your listing or seller has been removed, look for the item on your Purchase history page, then click on Return this item under More actions.

Start a return request for the reason: Doesn't seem authentic. Your missing seller will have 3 business days to resolve the problem, e.g. refund without requiring a return.

Because your seller won't be able to issue a return shipping label, you will have to click Ask eBay to step in. Then eBay will put the case on hold for 5 days to allow the seller to either issue a return shipping label or send money to buy a return shipping label. If neither happens, eBay will force a refund without requiring a return.

If you skip eBay and go directly to PayPal to open a dispute, you will have to pay for online-viewable return tracking to the seller yourself.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Hi, @tarpedge . Thank you very much for your support.

I don't know why but "Return this item" does not show up in my "Purchase History" page.

It has only "Follow this seller" and "Contact Seller".

I've been trying to report this issue to ebay from "Help & Contact" and look for any page for that, they do not show anything.
I will be very glad if you let me know any other options to report this.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Have more than 30 days already passed since the date that online tracking shows the delivery to you?

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

If you are within 30 days from delivery you should be able to open a case here:

http://resolutioncenter.ebay.com/

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Thank you both for your help @copper.boom and @tarpedge.

Yes, it's been 4 month after I bought the item.

I could not notice this issue because at first I received this item, it did work and I could install that successfully, and I tried to install that to another PC last week it did not work.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@taka_grace wrote:

Thank you both for your help @copper.boom and @tarpedge.

Yes, it's been 4 month after I bought the item.

I could not notice this issue because at first I received this item, it did work and I could install that successfully, and I tried to install that to another PC last week it did not work.

That could part of the problem, how many users and/or pc's are allowed to use?  I am not an IT person, however, I know that some software will only allow installation on one specific PC and not mulitple PC/devices.

Again, I think that there are missing information because if you were able to install on one system, how would it be if the software was stolen.  The story is not making sense

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@postingid2017

Firstlly, this software is allowed to be installed into 2 PCs officially (the product is named KOMPLETE11 by Native Instruments).

What I heard from Native Instruments person is like below;

When I installed this software with the serial for the first time, it was not blocked in the account management sytem in NI corporation(It was 4 month ago).

However, that serial number is now recognized as stolen product in their system, and that's why I could not install that product last week.

This is what happened to me, and why I need to ask you guys for fixing this situation and would like to get refund.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

IDK  - because this was in an international transaction I am on the fence, not saying that I do not believe you, but things gets to be a bit fuzzy for an international transaction.  Maybe if you could get proof from the software co that the serial # was reported as stolen, that could help.  I would think that now you would need to file w/PP.  Call PP and see what they say.  

Message 15 of 24
latest reply