cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer is returning because THEY misread the listing, nothing wrong with product. Shipping costs?

Hi everyone, 

I am not sure what to do here. I have a listing that sold, I offered free shipping. Packaged the item and shipped without event. I got an email today (it was delivered to the buyer today) and she says, "oops, I thought this was different, how do I go about returning this to you for a full refund?" My listing is correct, the item is as described and the buyer wants to return it because she didn't pay attention to the details in the listing. Can I charge them for the original cost to ship the item and take it from her refund? We are talking about a whooping $2.67 on a $9 item. 

Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Buyer is returning because THEY misread the listing, nothing wrong with product. Shipping costs?

What does your return policy say? For "buyer's remorse," most sellers specify "buyer pays return shipping." Beyond that, you might be able to subtract the original $2.67 shipping and just refund the $9 item price.

Bottom line: The buyer effectively would be paying $5.34 for nothing.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@davclarkso0 If the buyer has not opened a case on eBay or PayPal, then send a reply that says something to the effect of,

Dear buyer,

I'm sorry to hear you purchased the wrong item. You may return the item to be at the address below. Upon receipt I will gladly refund $xx.xx which is the item price minus my shipping cost and non-refundable eBay + PayPal fees.

Kind regards,

seller

return address

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Actually you have to refund in full unless you have a restocking fee. That is ebays policy. It looks like you accept returns and you don't have a restocking fee in your return policy so you have to refund in full. This is the downside of free shipping & accepting returns. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

This is exactly the sort of situation your Return Policy is meant to address.  In the couple of your listings I sampled, you offering a 14 day return window with buyer paying only return shipping, so that is what you are entitled to.

For future listings, you can institute a restocking fee, but if this is a rare issue for you, I'd probably just let this go.  Good luck....

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

That's incorrect. On free shipping, the shipping cannot be withheld from a refund. 😀
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

That's incorrect. On free shipping, the shipping cannot be withheld from a refund. It's policy
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:
What does your return policy say? For "buyer's remorse," most sellers specify "buyer pays return shipping." Beyond that, you might be able to subtract the original $2.67 shipping and just refund the $9 item price.

Bottom line: The buyer effectively would be paying $5.34 for nothing.

~~C~~

Actually, the buyer would merely be reimbursing the seller for the original cost of shipping and paying for the cost of returning the item.  So the buyer would be paying for nothing.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 8 of 8
latest reply