eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Buyer didn't purchase insurance - USPS damaged item - Now what?

USPS damaged my package... buyer complaining.. he will probably file a dispute.. obviously not my fault.. now what do I do?

Please use plain text.
kathrynscollectibles
Community Member

Re: Buyer didn't purchase insurance - USPS damaged item - Now what?

in reply to jld822

Insurance is purchased for the sellers protection, not the buyers.

A buyer, who encounters a problem, can open a dispute with either Ebay or Paypal and get their money refunded, so they don't need insurance. A seller, on the other hand, has to purchases insurance for their own protection, unless of course they self insure the item.

Since you failed to purchase insurance, and are responsible for the safe arrival of the item, you should refund the buyer.

If the buyer opens a dispute, Ebay or Paypal will ask them to ship the item back to you on their dime, and will force you to refund the full purchase price plus what they originally paid for shipping and handling.

“As a general rule, if you want to get at the truth — hear both sides and believe neither.” Josh Billings
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jld822

replace the item if you can, else give a refund.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jld822

JLD...

Since you seem to be a new seller, you may not be aware of how much rough handling goes on with most of the shippers you will using.  So you may not know exactly how far you need to go to protect your packages and the items inside.  I suggest you go to the Post office Site that tells you how to pack your items.  To make sure that they will survive.

This is especially important to do if you are selling breakable items.  As opposed to selling clothing which just needs to be protected from water.

You do not want this to happen again.  And it will happen again, if your do not learn what types of packing materials you need to use, and whether  you need to double-box some  of your things.:smileysurprised:

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jld822

JLD...

And even when you DO buy insuance, that will not help you if your packaging is not up to the PO's standards.  Because they will not reimburse you if they feel your packaging was at fault--and that it was you who caused the damage to occur.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jld822

Well, if all sellers were Amazon on Bestbuy, maybe you'd have a point. But ebay touts itself as a place to sell stuff for individuals. People do not have inventory to just send another out or worked into their cost structure. It's not the same case at all, Mr. Flippant. What you're really telling people is: Just throw your stuff out because you need to be prepared to absorb the loss of your stuff.

The buyer should file a claim with Paypal, that's what BUYER's protection is for. We ALL assume risks on ebay, not just buyers, not just sellers.

Please use plain text.
kathrynscollectibles
Community Member

in reply to jld822

"The buyer should file a claim with Paypal, that's what BUYER's protection is for."

Not really, eBay has shifted its Buyer Protection from mediator, to method of last resort and now when a buyer opens a claim it's counted against the seller. So forcing a buyer to open a complaint or insisting that they do, counts against the seller.

"What you're really telling people is: Just throw your stuff out because you need to be prepared to absorb the loss of your stuff"

It sounds more like a reminder for sellers to pack their items well, and insure them if they can't afford the loss.

"We ALL assume risks on ebay, not just buyers, not just sellers."

The sellers risk more, buyers have eBay and Paypal's Buyer Protection, and the ability to file a credit card chargeback in case the buyer protection fails them.

“As a general rule, if you want to get at the truth — hear both sides and believe neither.” Josh Billings
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jld822

If you don't like to give away money, ALWAYS buy insurance!  I just sent something out today, the value of my shipment was $200.  I bought insurance for a little over $2.  In the future when you're selling on ebay, you're shipping price should reflect that you are going to be adding tracking and insurance.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jld822

MIA...

So sellers can pack badly--and that's the buyer's problem?:^O

Dont' be ridiculous.  Sellers are running a business when they sign up with Ebay.  And they are required to perform according to normal business standards.:-(

Please use plain text.
deeplist
Community Member

in reply to jld822

You can't really do that either because then FEE-bay will bend you over on their new policy to CHARGE people a percent of what they charge the BUYER for shipping. In addition to that, you also run the risk of having buyer's leave low DSR stars for "shipping cost" if they cost they paid doesn't align with the postage on the box. The buyer doesn't care what you paid for these "bonus services" anymore. If they paid more than 50 cents higher than what's on the box, they WILL start dinging you.

Please use plain text.
2dycast4
Community Member

in reply to jld822

THE USPS NEVER EVER PAYS CLAIMS WHEN YOU PURCHASE INSURANCE FROM USPS MARK MY WORDS I AM A 13+ Year seller on E Bay and the 1st year I bought insurance and had claims and never got one cent cut your losses DO NOT buy USPS insurance here is how I work it I figure 50 cents from each of my transactions goes to my insurance fund not really in cash but on paper so 10 sales is 5.00 and 100 sales 50.00 etc... and a thousand sales is 500.00 and I have had at least if not more then 5x that in 13 years so that is how I deal with damage and loss it does amaze me that we pay the going rates at USPS and they just raised them this month 1/2013 we hand the item to a USPS employee with a del conf. # an extra charge above the postage not a 2 year old child but a USPS employee they in turn pass it on until it gets to the address on the item in the USPS system the item gets lost or damaged and what happens NOTHING 100% NOTHING the USPS keeps the postage and the del conf. funds ans says TO BAD you should have insured the item!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I away's think when this happens to me and has 100's of times I wish I had a job got paid well with benafits retirement as USPS gets and not do my job as I should damage/lose items and still get paid 100% in the end and for many years too

Please use plain text.
2dycast4
Community Member

in reply to jld822

MMMM let say I hand  you an item put it in your hands and pay you money cash on the spot right there to take it to a address and along the way you lose the item or say you lost it or drop it or some how break the item before it gets to the address I paid you to take it too for me I find out it never was delivered or it was damaged when you delivered it to the address I then ask you to your face why did it not get the item to the address or why is the item now broken are you going to say to me I should have paid you more money to be sure it got there ok or at all come on that is what the USPS does its their job when you pay them postage rates and now del conf. an added cost to the postage to follow thru on getting it there in a timely fashion and not lost or damaged why do we have to pay more by buying insurance to make sure it delivered and then the USPS has the nerve the very nerve to drag the claim out for months and months and then never pay the claim if you bought insurance from the start I HAVE BEEN THERE DONE THAT with the PO and the insurance scam they run yeas a SCAM they have

Please use plain text.
2dycast4
Community Member

in reply to jld822

You miss understood I take that out of my $$$$ I got for my item I sold not add it to the shipping cost I charge reasonable shipping costs that I have not changed since the new USPS rates just changed and I just thought if I raise the shipping cost to the buyer FEE-Bay will just get more taking their cut as they already do just more in their pockets with the increase I called FEE-Bay when they rolled out the new FEE"S they were taking from seller shipping costs and complained EBAY REP SAID IN A NOT VERY FRIENDLY TONE ON THE PHONE TO ME GET USED TO IT THAT'S THE WAY IT IS AND ITS NOT GOING TO CHANGE adjust your shipping cost to the buyer and go on from there great answer from a company that is customer services related so to speak 

Please use plain text.
2dycast4
Community Member

in reply to jld822

I am entering my 14th year with E Bay I HAVE SEEN IT ALL DONE IT ALL when it comes to packing/shipping not to sound like a NO IT ALL but when you have sold over 5,000 items you kind of tried all angles and things seem to never change in the 13+ year span when it comes to loss etc..

Please use plain text.
2dycast4
Community Member

in reply to jld822

Speaking of DSR's its interesting how some buyers rate you as a seller I follow mine real close E BAY says you can not tell what rating each buyer left as far as DSR's  I look at my rating with each feedback each day sometimes that can be hard to pinpoint when getting more then one feedback in a short time in that day but its pretty close almost all my feedbacks read about the same fast shipping/great item great transaction all around seem to reflect 100% satisfaction then I might see where the DSR reads less then those statements over a period of time I jot down the rating in my dashboard on a spreadsheet so I kind of know what buyer pretty close left less then 5 stars so to speak and yet reading again my feedback praise from that maybe buyer as that is where the DSR changed not one seemed or wrote less then 100% written statement for many months in my feedback so I find the questions aked on the 5 star rating some buyer might not answer correctly like shipping time I track that all the time and I know by del conf if an item took longer then should have and I go to the PO everyday even on Sat.Sunday as I use the INSIDE drop windows even when the PO is closed so the rating is not how long the PO took to deliver but how fast I as a seller got it to the PO I think some buyer figure the travel time after the PO got the item against the seller when rating the transaction

Please use plain text.
2dycast4
Community Member

in reply to jld822

Interesting you say PROTECT CLOTHING AGAINST WATER? OK I ship a t shirt in a envelope as I have and the USPS somehow gets the envelope wet enough to stain the shirt lets say (lucky has never happen to me ) or maybe where the item was left at the address after the PO delivered it got wet that's an interesting situation and insurance after all I as a seller did not pack it wet or in a wet envelope so the PO was the careless one getting it wet or leaving it at the address in a place it might get wet after delivery or maybe stolen if out in the open that's an interesting situation

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jld822

All of you talking about purchasing insurance should know UNLESS YOU HAVE THE ORIGINAL RECEIPT that shows how much the item is worth you arent getting back anything if the item is damaged. (This was just told to me by a clerk working at the post office today).

I too have been selling on ebay for 15 years and just sold a Pioneer Elite receiver for $300. I know how to safely pack an item. The buyer emailed me pictures of the item and it was demolished. Box was torn up, the receiver would even power on. Now I have to refund this buyer $300 PLUS the cost of shipping it back to me. Like someone posted earlier, I am paying USPS to safely ship an item. Why should I have to pay more for them not to break it? Even still, if they do, I'm out of luck unless I have the original receipt.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jld822

*wouldnt power on

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jld822

I know for a fact that the USPS does pay.  I received an item that was damaged--the seller filed the claim, I took it to the P.O. for inspection, I got my refund and seller got their money back.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jld822

I have had several claims with the postal service and they have always went by what the item sold for on ebay and what I paid for shipping and refunded in full.

Please use plain text.