cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer damaged item, wants return

I sold a bathing suit top and the buyer left negative feedback, saying INAD (says it's navy blue not black) but also that she cut the item while opening the package. Now she wants to make a return. How should I handle this?

On the one hand, she would possibly have a case if the item were indeed blue and not black (I don't believe this is the case but since I don't have it in hand I cannot be positive), but on the other hand, she's damaged the product such that it is worthless and unable to be resold. I'm inclined to refuse the return since she's already left negative feedback.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I'm thrilled to report a happy ending to this story. Not only did ebay intervene, closing the case for me with no return necessary, but they will also have the negative feedback removed from my profile (I didn't ask for that, the rep said it would happen as a matter of course).

Thanks again to all who contributed!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 31 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

this has happened to me several times.  that the buyer damaged it was obvious in 2, once it looked like a cabinet card was stepped on at the post office as it had a very clear footprint, the first was an elvis album the buyer reported not as described.  the buyer kept my fine album and shippped me back a trashed one.  a woman once broke a nice scale, said it had to happen in shipping as she didn't drop it.  she shipped it back in the same box and not a sliver of glass came with it.  another slit open a box with a large, sharp, knife, and said i sent him a vintage beaver skin muffler with a slit clear across the thing. in all cases i just surrendered, refunded the money, and at least got no feedback rather than a negative.  ebay will almost always side with the buyer in these cases.  i have found there is little reason to even call ebay.  there is little to protect sellers....

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

This one I would fight since in her feedback left "cut into," - it is no longer in the condition that it was originally sent.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

I'm a relatively new seller so I'm unfamiliar with the appeals process. Do I file a buyer complaint or call eBay support or what? 

Unfortunately I've already committed to a yearly store subscription, otherwise this would make me quit selling altogether. 

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

@anenemity wrote:

I'm a relatively new seller so I'm unfamiliar with the appeals process. Do I file a buyer complaint or call eBay support or what? 

Unfortunately I've already committed to a yearly store subscription, otherwise this would make me quit selling altogether. 

Don't give up on eBay because of one jerk. There are plenty more out there, but the good people far outnumber them.

She admitted to damaging the item, so you do not need to refund her. Since you are a top rated seller you are required to accept returns (but not if they aren't returned back to you in original condition as sent). So, call eBay to get it resolved.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

@anenemity wrote:

I sold a bathing suit top and the buyer left negative feedback, saying INAD (says it's navy blue not black) but also that she cut the item while opening the package. Now she wants to make a return. How should I handle this?

On the one hand, she would possibly have a case if the item were indeed blue and not black (I don't believe this is the case but since I don't have it in hand I cannot be positive), but on the other hand, she's damaged the product such that it is worthless and unable to be resold. I'm inclined to refuse the return since she's already left negative feedback.

Did she admit to cutting it while opening it? if she's opened a return request, the only way to fight it is by calling customer service. You don't accept returns. I'm not sure wy the other responder said you are required to accept returns since you are a TRS. That is incorrect so disregard what they said. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

@anenemity wrote:

Don't give up on eBay because of one jerk. There are plenty more out there, but the good people far outnumber them.

She admitted to damaging the item, so you do not need to refund her. Since you are a top rated seller you are required to accept returns (but not if they aren't returned back to you in original condition as sent). So, call eBay to get it resolved.

@stuff4divas That is incorrect. OP is NOT required to accept returns because she is a TRS. Her return policy is "NO returns". TRS do not have to accept returns. It is a requirement to be a TRS-plus seller which OP is not.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

@anenemity wrote:

@stuff4divas That is incorrect. OP is NOT required to accept returns because she is a TRS. Her return policy is "NO returns". TRS do not have to accept returns. It is a requirement to be a TRS-plus seller which OP is not.

Whichever, she does have to accept returns if the buyer is claiming INAD, color navy instead of black. But in this particul return whether TRS or TRS+ buyer admitted to damaging the item, so no refund is due her.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@anenemity wrote:

Did she admit to cutting it while opening it? if she's opened a return request, the only way to fight it is by calling customer service. You don't accept returns. I'm not sure wy the other responder said you are required to accept returns since you are a TRS. That is incorrect so disregard what they said. 

All sellers have to accept returns if INAD, navy instead of black. But in this case, seller lucked out because buyer admitted to damaging the item.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

This transaction happened before I got my TRS status, so TRS is irrelevant anway. 

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the conversation so far. I have contacted the buyer and asked to see documentation of the item being not as described as well as the damage she incurred. Then I will contact eBay support and make my appeal with them. 

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

You don't accept returns. I'm not sure wy the other responder said you are required to accept returns since you are a TRS. That is incorrect so disregard what they said. 

Incorrect! OP accepts returns on some of her listings which state '30 days, money back returns'. We don't know if this item had a return policy or not.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

@anenemity - please listen to the advice that missjen316 posted - it may help you

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

I only just started accepting returns on items listed since I got TRS 2 days ago. My previous policy, including the item in question, was no returns (except for ebay's buyer's guarantee policy, of course). I am a low volume, low-margin seller and dealing with returns didn't seem worth the hassle. Of course, even with the no-return policy I find myself dealing with the hassle anyway!
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

I will certainly contact ebay once I have proof of INAD and the damage done to the item. I do not want to spend the money for shipping on an item that I will not be able to resell, plus I will have the record of the item not being in the same condition I sent it in.

It sounds like the minor quibble between MissJenn and Diva is a technicality based on TRS that doesn't really apply anyway - they both seem in agreement that because she damaged the item it cannot be returned in original condition and I am therefore not responsible for a refund. Am I reading that correctly?

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

@anenemity wrote:
I only just started accepting returns on items listed since I got TRS 2 days ago. My previous policy, including the item in question, was no returns (except for ebay's buyer's guarantee policy, of course). I am a low volume, low-margin seller and dealing with returns didn't seem worth the hassle. Of course, even with the no-return policy I find myself dealing with the hassle anyway!

Stay with it, there is more good than bad out there! 😉

Message 15 of 32
latest reply