cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought Fake Item. Help please

Hello there. I purchased a pair of fake Oakley sunglasses off eBay that I thought were real. I've tried talked to the the seller and he isn't very cooperative. I'll attach the conversation here. 

What would be my next step? 

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

If you are convinced they are fake, "ask eBay to step in".  You should be required to return the glasses at seller's expense, and there is nothing wrong with doing so.  You should then receive a full refund of your payment.

If you are not completely convinced they are fake, deal with that first. 

Good luck...

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

The thing is due to the fact they're fake, it's illegal to ship them. But thanks for the help, I'll see what eBay can do. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Can you quote where in the domestic mail manual it's illegal to ship fakes?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I've just heard and read online that counterfeit items are illegal to ship and should be reported. But that's not my problem right now. I just want a refund or something.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Lay low and go silent now. Early Saturday morning, click ask eBay to step in.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

You are not allowed to publish private e-mails on the boards.

Your next step should be to take the sunglasses to a reputable dealer and ask if they are authentic or not. If they are deemed counterfeit, you can ask eBay to intervene.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

The thing is due to the fact they're fake, it's illegal to ship them.

I've been hearing that on the boards for almost 20 years, but the only laws I've ever seen produced regarding that are for "trafficking", not returning a suspect product.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Yes, Many sites that describe how to Get a refund and KEEP fake items are out there. However, since that feature was being abused by Buyers saying EVERYTHING was fake to get refunds and the item the rule was changed. 

The rule now states to get a refund the Item must be sent back. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:
You are not allowed to publish private e-mails on the boards.

Your next step should be to take the sunglasses to a reputable dealer and ask if they are authentic or not. If they are deemed counterfeit, you can ask eBay to intervene.

~~C~~

Not a good idea to ask a dealer.  Most designer good stores aren't real happy to lose sales to Ebay.  Many of the employee's are told by management to always tell people they have a fake.  

And it isn't illegal to send fakes back.  That is an urban legend.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@jefaneck_0 wrote:
I've just heard and read online that counterfeit items are illegal to ship and should be reported. But that's not my problem right now. I just want a refund or something.

What is the "or something"? If you want a refund, you will have no choice but to send them back. Ask eBay to step in when that icon is available, print the label you will receive and send them back. Easy peasy.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@couldabeenworse wrote:

The thing is due to the fact they're fake, it's illegal to ship them.

I've been hearing that on the boards for almost 20 years, but the only laws I've ever seen produced regarding that are for "trafficking", not returning a suspect product.

You can't return counterfeits overseas. Obviously you can't sell them either. Those are the only laws that affect us here.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Ask eBay to step in.  Seller will be forced to issue a return label, or they will be out both the money and the glasses. You can't demand that you get a refund without returning the item. It doesn't work that way. Your assumption that it is illegal to return them is incorrect, as long as it is a US seller.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply