cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why ebay why ?

Twice per year eBay comes up with a reason for us to revise our listings 

Many of my listings are very old I may have started with 100 item or even as few as 5 but ...

Ebay had me revise for bigger pictures then it was mobile friendly and a myriad of reasons okay I am fine with that 

I just revised 500 listings for active content when I have not had any 3rd party subscriptions for years they were still there selling rewards etc.....

Now come to find out 75% of my listings that I just spent a month revising are going to be removed 

Why should I do it again ? Why I am going to have recreate my entire store all over again and redo my inventory in my warehuse really ? for a venue where the chance of a sale have become very low the fees are out of control and it is an easier format to list on my web site 

Why didnt they make the 2 year rule before the active content rule ?

I also put my entire store on sale at the begining of the month many items below cost hoping my listings would just sell out and I could delete them 

Why did the girl I just spoke to on the phone tell me none of my listings would be removed?

I read the seller update I have listings going back to 2010 I cant even tell when the last sale was unless I click on them individually 

am I missing something here will they just end or go off into never never land and be deleted ?

Any advice would greatly appreciated thanx for letting me rant 

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat
Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

why ebay why ?

When you say, the two year rule, I believe you are referring to the messages that eBay has recently sent out regarding old listings of that duration.

Since they have been listed so long without a sale, eBay has decided to remove them.  I think they will be deleted.

I know you said you had a sale, but maybe trying another reduction would help sell them.  

Just an idea.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

why ebay why ?

@motorgirl63 Sorry you're experiencing so much frustration. A lot of sellers with stale items - Good 'Til Canceled listings 12+ months old with no sales - are going through the same thing as you. eBay wants to remove stale inventory from search and keep relevant with new items.

If you want to keep the listings, then you need to be proactive and end the listings before eBay can remove them. This way the listings are in your Unsold history instead of simply vanished. Then you can relist as appropriate and consider other revisions that could "freshen up" the listings for new buyers. Evaluate photos, pricing, title key words, etc.

By ending the listings and relisting they will get fresh eyes, but I would suggest freshening up the listings before you do so. Also research the items to see if there have been any big changes to the market for that category to keep your listings relevant.

Here's the policy you can review on reasons eBay will remove listings.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/questions/listing-ended.html

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

why ebay why ?

but that is my point I already freshened them last month 😞

I have many items others do not and custom items that no other sellers have 

I cant lower prices more till other sale ends 

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat
Message 4 of 32
latest reply

why ebay why ?

I understand, but unless you ended the listings, freshened them THEN relisted they are still stale in eBay's eyes. So end the listings proactively then relist. If you've already freshened them up that's great - just relist as-is.

ETA: Better yet, "sell similar" instead of "relist". It helps the system to see it as a new listing.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

why ebay why ?

@motorgirl63  wrote " ... Why didnt they make the 2 year rule before the active content rule ?

There's a 2 year rule?  Really?  Where does one find that one?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

why ebay why ?

Here's the policy you can review on reasons eBay will remove listings.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/questions/listing-ended.html
Message 7 of 32
latest reply

why ebay why ?

@mr_lincoln It's not 2 years, it's 12+ months. I linked to it in my above post, and motorgirl quoted it in the above post, as well.

A lot of sellers getting hit by this right now have GTC listings without a sale in 18-24 months. Some of them have a very large # of listings which is why we've seen a bunch of posts on the topic recently.

If a seller uses TurboLister or SixBit it can help them to manage the needed changes with less time & resources. Of course Turbo is going away soon but it's still active for the time being.

Sellers who ignored the warning e-mail from eBay have seen their listings vanish, so they are starting from scratch unless they have backups anywhere.

I'm glad the OP came here first because at least she has some tips now on how to be proactive before losing all of her listings.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

why ebay why ?

Honestly, if they haven't had sales in that long, it's in your best interest to take them down and relist them.  The longer a GTC listing goes without sales, the further down it gets pushed in searches because the assumption is that there is something about it that makes it undesirable to buyers.  GTC really isn't a good format for anything other than multi-quantity listings that get regular sales-- for other things it's much better to do 30-day fixed price and then just relist them manually.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

why ebay why ?

Then I should be able to tell without clicking each one idividually 

How many people want a tailgate from 1963 

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

why ebay why ?

If it hasn't had any sales in more than 16 months, there will be a yellow banner beneath it on your Listings page reading "eBay note: This listing hasn't had any sales in the last 16 months.  Please consider revising it."

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

why ebay why ?

@copper.boom 

copper.boom wrote:

@mr_lincoln It's not 2 years, it's 12+ months. I linked to it in my above post, and motorgirl quoted it in the above post, as well.

A lot of sellers getting hit by this right now have GTC listings without a sale in 18-24 months. Some of them have a very large # of listings which is why we've seen a bunch of posts on the topic recently.

If a seller uses TurboLister or SixBit it can help them to manage the needed changes with less time & resources. Of course Turbo is going away soon but it's still active for the time being.

Sellers who ignored the warning e-mail from eBay have seen their listings vanish, so they are starting from scratch unless they have backups anywhere.

I'm glad the OP came here first because at least she has some tips now on how to be proactive before losing all of her listings.

Thanks Boom, I have never used GTC but I do have a few items that have not sold in 12 months but its a low number.  I don't recall if any disappeared.  Plus, anything that goes that long for what I sell risks being dropped off at the local thrift shop or in a local auction ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 12 of 32
latest reply

why ebay why ?

Are people actually paying whatever the monthly listing fee is to keep these chugging over for 2 year's time?

That's a lot of dough wasted on something that may not/will not sell.  I have listings that are 2 years old, but I would not waste 30 cents on them for one time only.

Now I know why sellers leave, they keep paying listing fees on items that don't move,  ever.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

why ebay why ?

@yuzuha wrote:

GTC really isn't a good format for anything other than multi-quantity listings that get regular sales-- for other things it's much better to do 30-day fixed price and then just relist them manually.

I mostly agree with you, as long as the seller has a quick & easy bulk relist tool available.

But, it makes me wonder why GTC is the only option for Fixed Price on the New Quick Listing form. 

I'd assumed that that form was for new/casual sellers who probably would not be listing desirable, multi-quantity stuff.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

why ebay why ?

And, don't forget, since ebay has control of the intellectual content of anything listed, they can now - what with more recent changes to the UA - relist things they want, at any time they want.  Well, they had to do something to cover the relisting glitch they can't find.  Also, great for adding to the numbers for the quarterly, filling in those nasty skimpy areas and adding a diversified flavor to irrelevant search results.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 15 of 32
latest reply