cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why are sellers now cancelling completed sales?

I have had 3 sellers in the past week cancel a sale after the auction closed with no reason given. Am I to believe that is ok now? If you don't get as much as you want just cancel it? I thought that is what a reserve auction was for. I sold for years and lost money on many items. Can't even leave feedback staing the seller is sketchy...

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
2 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

These sellers are going to find themselves kicked off Ebay. This is HUGE no no! They just put in place stricter selling guidelines and cancelling an order gives the seller a defect. Depending on how much they sell - 2 or 3 defects will get them kicked off.

Have a great day 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

Yes, that has happened to me countless times.  Sellers put on an expensive piece of jewelry at .99 no reserve.  Then when they do not get their price, it is suddently lost of broken.

One seller I am watching has put up the same piece 8 times already with the same excuse.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

It's just a sign of not setting start at a price you'll accept.

Did get a good deal on a 1 cent listing as seller did ship. But most are just cancelled. Lol, many for " out if stick" as they didn't read it's a defect now..

age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 2 of 40
latest reply

These sellers are going to find themselves kicked off Ebay. This is HUGE no no! They just put in place stricter selling guidelines and cancelling an order gives the seller a defect. Depending on how much they sell - 2 or 3 defects will get them kicked off.

Have a great day 🙂
Message 3 of 40
latest reply

Yes, that has happened to me countless times.  Sellers put on an expensive piece of jewelry at .99 no reserve.  Then when they do not get their price, it is suddently lost of broken.

One seller I am watching has put up the same piece 8 times already with the same excuse.

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

I'm sure the main reason is that their price wasn't reached. But another might be that they sell the same item on a few sites and the item sold elsewhere.

Either way, not very good business practice in the long run.

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

That item I bough the shipping was 1300 times the item price.

It was $13.00 and think t. First 1 cent lusting I've won this month at start.hey lost $ on that if oversized due to bubble wrap
age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 6 of 40
latest reply

I thought feedback was possible.

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

I'm pretty sure it should be.....maybe they are powersellers(you have to wait a week before you can give a powerseller a negative)

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

@buyer-seller-1234 wrote:

Sure they will.... NOT!

I had a Big Box seller (that I buy a lot from BTW, do this to me. They have a LOT of negs for doing it and they STILL sell on on EBay with no ramifications. Once again its the small seller that gets the shaft. FB IS possible, I know for a fact (unless EBay has different rules for that now).

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

I have never had it happen to me...but now 2 times in a week.  One seller I believed, the other I did not.

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

1 time in 18 years (I guess that's not bad) but, it was a big box retailer. That's what upset me, especially since I have to jump through hoops as a seller on eBay with the few things that I sell. BTW, Over 30% of the items I get from that Big Box eBay retailer is SNAD. I've never filed a SNAD because they pay for returns, but maybe I should have anyway. I like to buy from them but SOOOOO many time the item is not what they describe. I mean, they will show a shoe and the title and description will be an iPhone. I have no idea which one is correct. I've even emailed them a few years ago, at least the ones I caught, but that's not my job. I did leave a neg for them, but even then I felt bad (and yes, it WAS on this ID).

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

Ebay has major search issues which also leads to cancellations.  I listed 49 auctions for 1 oz 90% silver coin lots and they all ended tonight.  But never were more than 38 or 40 of the auctions actually showing up on the site, with 5 or 6 of the auctions rarely showing up and 1 that ended with just 2 views and 1 bid and I never once saw it on the site; even in the final 5 minutes. .  This auction got just 1 bid for 99 cents while the other 48 auctions got mostly $15 to $16 with a few that rarely showed in searches getting around $14. I called an ebay rep as these were ending and he did ebay search and saw my list of auctions that were numbered 1 to 49 and noticed several were simply not being shown as they were ending.

I cancelled the auction that got just the 1 bid for 99 cents.  I would hope the buyer understands because I worked hard to be honest and had good pictures, but I was unaware that ebay has this kind of horrible search issue, where only 38 or 40 of my 49 items would show up at any given time.  The coin lots ended about a minute apart and even coin lots that had less than 5 minutes were not being shown which meant no late bids on many of the auctions.  I guess the solution as a seller is to not run auctions and only do fixed price.  I wish I knew before I listed about these search issues

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

At some point those cancels are going to add up to over 2% and they are going to suddenly have their account restricted and be whining on the boards about how unfair Ebay is and that this used to be ok to do, or something to that effect.

David

Twnpopcards

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

@inflationbeaters wrote:

Ebay has major search issues which also leads to cancellations.  I listed 49 auctions for 1 oz 90% silver coin lots and they all ended tonight.  But never were more than 38 or 40 of the auctions actually showing up on the site, with 5 or 6 of the auctions rarely showing up and 1 that ended with just 2 views and 1 bid and I never once saw it on the site; even in the final 5 minutes. .  This auction got just 1 bid for 99 cents while the other 48 auctions got mostly $15 to $16 with a few that rarely showed in searches getting around $14. I called an ebay rep as these were ending and he did ebay search and saw my list of auctions that were numbered 1 to 49 and noticed several were simply not being shown as they were ending.

I cancelled the auction that got just the 1 bid for 99 cents.  I would hope the buyer understands because I worked hard to be honest and had good pictures, but I was unaware that ebay has this kind of horrible search issue, where only 38 or 40 of my 49 items would show up at any given time.  The coin lots ended about a minute apart and even coin lots that had less than 5 minutes were not being shown which meant no late bids on many of the auctions.  I guess the solution as a seller is to not run auctions and only do fixed price.  I wish I knew before I listed about these search issues

If you start an auction at 99 cents, you better be darn well prepared for it to END at 99 cents.

Start your auctions at a price you can live with, or list at fixed price.

This isn't 1999, the days of big bidding wars are long departed. (with rare exception)

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 14 of 40
latest reply

I posted to let buyers know that when a seller lists an item and they realize it is almost never being put in the ebay search and ends with just a few views and a horrible price, then that is another reason that the seller will cancel the sale.   48 of my auctions for the same 1 oz 90% silver coins started at 99 cents and got $14 or more with most around $16, but 1 of them got 99 cents because it was almost never visible on the site.  Even with less than 5 minutes left it still wasn't showing as I had an ebay rep who searched my items and confirmed several were not showing as they ended.  Obviously I would never run auctions again because about 20% of my listings were never visible.  Sometimes the first 5 lots would be visible and sometimes they wouldn't be.  My point being that the problem is not me or other sellers, the problem is ebay's search.  And when ebay's search hides a seller's item and the seller gets burned, then there is the possibility that the seller will cancel.  And then when they get  a neg or have a problem with ebay, they quit buying and selling on ebay.  The solution is not to tell sellers to list auctions at high prices.  The solution is for ebay to spend the needed money to have a search that always works for ALL items.  

Message 15 of 40
latest reply