cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

selling without photos

Hi folks:  I have seen listings that have no photos.  I have lots of records (45rpm) that I want to list without photos (but, yes, good descriptions).  Is this possible; if so, how?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

selling without photos

Those listings you are seeing without photos are in violation of listing policies.  I'm guessing they just substitute a place holder image for the one mandatory photo, since as far as I know, it is impossible to list without at least one photo.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

selling without photos

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/picture.html

Once again, I hope this is the latest info.

According to it, you have to have at least one photo to list.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

selling without photos

Thank you!  ross h.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

selling without photos

fleecebay does not equally enforce the "no picture / no listing" policy.

the smaller the seller the mote likely they will enforce the policy.

your best bet would use a scanner and just scan the records instead of trying to take pics.
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

selling without photos

And, with all the various record jacket variations, it is VITAL that you have photos of both the front and rear of the dust jackets (plus interiors of the gatefolds, if the records have one), plus inserts (if available), plus close-up photos of the paper labels on the records themselves, and maybe even close-up photos of the numbers in the "dead wax" areas. Record collectors will appreciate all your extra efforts!
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

selling without photos

If you're a little guy you'll get in trouble for not uploading photos.

If you're  big guy apparently it's okay. This is from one of the many mega booksellers. They all do it.

f12197de2af8b65e8df0f3de51003313

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

selling without photos

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

If you're a little guy you'll get in trouble for not uploading photos.

If you're  big guy apparently it's okay. This is from one of the many mega booksellers. They all do it.

f12197de2af8b65e8df0f3de51003313

Wow.  So, if someone is not a "mega seller"  - they have to follow the rules, but "mega sellers" don't have to?  

As soon as I see no photos or a stock photo, I usually click on by and go to a listing that does have photos.   IMO, the more photos of every angle of something I am looking to buy, the better the chance I will buy from that seller.  

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

selling without photos

Why not just take a photo of the middle of the record with your cell phone and list that?

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

selling without photos

@huzat wrote:

Hi folks:  I have seen listings that have no photos.  I have lots of records (45rpm) that I want to list without photos (but, yes, good descriptions).  Is this possible; if so, how?

Why would you want to do that? To save time?

You will be spending the time you saved by having no photos answering questions and taking SNAD returns

Trust me, the more photos the better. Clear, properly lit, Close ups, detsils, etc, etc, etc .

Along with a good accurate description of condition. Details, detsils, details.  The more info upfront, the better you will do.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

selling without photos

You know back in the early days people DID sell without photos.  Not many but some.  They were so overrun by sellers who DID use photos that it quickly became the norm.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

selling without photos

@rixstuff wrote:

You know back in the early days people DID sell without photos.  Not many but some.  They were so overrun by sellers who DID use photos that it quickly became the norm.

Back in the day, there were only a few online ecommerce sites, no smartphones or tablets ...and we walked to school 5 miles uphill both ways, barefoot in the snow.

Would you buy any collectible item without a photo now?

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

selling without photos

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@rixstuff wrote:

Back in the day, there were only a few online ecommerce sites, no smartphones or tablets ...and we walked to school 5 miles uphill both ways, barefoot in the snow.

Would you buy any collectible item without a photo now?

And digital cameras were not the norm, film cameras were. I know it had to be a real pain to take photos, hope they came out okay, go get them developed, then scan them so they could be uploaded. I know I only bought a digital camera in 2003...when I started selling here.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

selling without photos

Wow! How are they even doing this? If I try to do it, I just get an error message stating that at least one photo must be uploaded!

Screenshot_2017-08-17-19-14-42.pngScreenshot_2017-08-17-19-14-42_kindlephoto-263816338.jpg

Belle
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

selling without photos

@huzat wrote:

I wouldn't do it. Honestly, your customer want to see what they are buying especially when it comes to things like records, as there are different releases.

The practice runs rampant in the CD/DVD category and it honestly makes me kind of angry.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply