cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay's customer base

I don't know what it is here. I have never seen such a vast amount of low life desperate people in all my years on this planet.

Please sir, can you just give me $5. Come on how about $3 to make me go away. Tell you what, $8 and I won't leave you a bad feedback. My brand new item doesn't work. It's missing. The post office stole it. My dog ate it. My 6 month old infant bid on it, It's not green, it's orange...And somehow, somehow a couple of bucks is going to make it ALL...GO... AWAY.

What's wrong with these people? Is their station in life so low that they have no other choice but to slither through the muck to gain a few lousy dollars. Are they such life-losers that they have no dignity, no shame. No cognitive awareness of such a sad and embarrassing existence. Sometimes I want to give them money just out of sheer pity. Like someone begging on the street corner.

ebay really needs to clean up the garbage that has proliferated this web site and stop their liberal and seller abusive return policies. If you can even call them 'policies.'  And bring plenty of trucks. You're gonna need em.

Rant over.

Change.....As the wind blows
Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

ebay's customer base

I've had more problems with sellers than I have with buyers.

Judging from some of the threads I see here I can see why.

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

ebay's customer base

@banana-posts wrote:

Please sir, can you just give me $5. Come on how about $3 to make me go away. Tell you what, $8 and I won't leave you a bad feedback. My brand new item doesn't work. It's missing. The post office stole it. My dog ate it. My 6 month old infant bid on it, It's not green, it's orange...And somehow, somehow a couple of bucks is going to make it ALL...GO... AWAY.

My 6 month old infant bid on it --- thanks for the laugh!  I chuckled.  Nice on this dreary, overcast, cold day here.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 3 of 38
latest reply

ebay's customer base

I totally agree that people have sunk so low that they embarrass themselves constantly in order to save a buck or two. I see this type of thing all of the time. I have a friend that has an excellent job and makes extremely good money. We used to do some weekend trips together and even went on several week long vacations together. We had lots of fun, but she could be downright embarrassing when it came to money. She always asked for discounts. She stiffed waitresses on tips. I would have understood if she had troubled finances, but she did not. She is just that cheap. I understand that some people are just like that, but as far as Ebay goes a lot of their policies have encouraged this type of behavior. Back in the Spring I had a buyer that had a complete meltdown over a purchase when I would not pay to resize her ring. The ring size was clearly stated in numerous places. She purchased a very nice ring at a very cheap price. I was not going to pay to have it resized. I simply stated to return for refund. She completely went around the bend and I received message after message that I had completely ruined her life. It was like watching a toddler throw a complete fit in the middle of a supermarket. In my opinion, Ebay encouraging partial refunds or refunds without returns has greatly encouraged this toddler like behavior. In the case of this buyer, she got a great piece of jewelry for a great price. After about 40 messages I never heard from her again and she never returned the item either. She just wanted something for nothing and made a complete fool of herself in her attempt to get it.

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

ebay's customer base

screaming-smiley.png

But the ring doesn't fit MY FINGER! I'm not happy! I wasn't partial refund, now!

Disclaimer: Statements may contain satire and sarcasm and should be considered nothing more than an attempt at humor. Any useful information is purely coincidence.
Message 5 of 38
latest reply

ebay's customer base

You should take a look at the listings. Same item listed for $16.95 by a seller and $16.90 by a different seller. The $16.90 one has 882 sales while the $16.95 has 70 sales. They saved 5 cents! No one even cares to see the seller with $16.95 has much better feedback, as long as they save 5 cents. Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

ebay's customer base

@banana-posts wrote:

I don't know what it is here. I have never seen such a vast amount of low life desperate people in all my years on this planet.

What's wrong with these people? Is their station in life so low that they have no other choice but to slither through the muck to gain a few lousy dollars. Are they such life-losers that they have no dignity, no shame. No cognitive awareness of such a sad and embarrassing existence. Sometimes I want to give them money just out of sheer pity. Like someone begging on the street corner.

ebay really needs to clean up the garbage that has proliferated this web site and stop their liberal and seller abusive return policies. If you can even call them 'policies.'  And bring plenty of trucks. You're gonna need em.

Rant over.

IMO the phenomenon you're talking about is directly related to ebay's liberal buyer policies with absolutely no investgation, or repercussions that is what created this situation.

I do not believe there are more low lifes, scammers, and bottom feeders in general. But with the availablity of the internet, and ways of researching the easiest places and ways to scam has brought scammers out in the open, and in greater numbers.

ebay's MBG, and lack of an attempt at enforcing policy such as "item must be returned in same condition as sent", automatically believing every thing a buyer says, and the absolute lack of even a cursory investigation by ebay has turned this site into a scammers paradise.

The MBG has little impact on sellers when dealing with "honest" buyers who want the item they bought, and only try to return if there's a problem. Those buyers are truthful about reasons for returns, and don't fish for partials that won't fix the problem.

Honest buyers don't need to threaten FB, because they don't ask for things they are not entitled to. If they made the mistake they own up to it and pay return shipping, then sell it themselves, give it away, or keep the item.

A little research on the web tells scammers that it is easy to steal from sellers on ebay, with little chance of any punishment and a huge chance of success.

This draws them here in greater numbers, and a scammer will buy much more per person than an "honest buyer will.

An honest buyer doesn't need a dozen iphones, so they will only buy 1 or 2, while a scammer may scam 5 or 6 or more sellers out of their items to resell themselves elsewhere.

An "honest" buyer will only purchase so much because they PAY for their items, while scammers buy steal much more because they either get it free, or reduced in price, leaving them the money to run the scam again.

Since ebay collects the FVF on EVERY sale, scam or not, and counts EVERY sale, scammers greatly contribute to ebay's profits, and the sales count they can show to the stock holders, ebay has very little incentive to try to slow them down.

IMO this will eventually be the downfall of ebay, because sellers will have to raise prices to cover losses. This will drive away "honest" buyers, the scammers won't care they're not paying in the long run anyway.

As "honest" buyers leave, sellers will experience more fraud because there will be proportionally more scammers vs. "honest" buyers. This in turn will cause more sellers to leave because the risks are too high on ebay.

Once ebay is populated with only scammers, and Chinese sellers, the scammers will leave because ebay makes it hard to scam a Chinese seller. Then when the Chinese sellers go because they don't make enough what has ebay got left?

I'm not saying this will happen in the next few years, but if nothing changes to stop the theft here, it is a very likely scenario.

ebay sells NOTHING but ad space, and research. Once the "honest" buyers and the advertizers (sellers)  leave ebay can't sell ad space, and ebay has nothing to conduct research on.

Whenever a seller finds the key to success, ebay changes the lock>wah photo 0767_zpsx6rpcmh5.png
Message 7 of 38
latest reply

ebay's customer base

This is what I see when reporting a buyer:

"Buyers are required to return an item in the same condition they received it. Buyer's can't expect a refund when they return a damaged item (different from the reason for the return), a different item, or an empty box."

See how it says "Buyer's can't expect a refund when they return a damaged item..."? But they always still get a refund! I was told by a rep that the buyer has to actually admit to sending an empty box or a different item for that policy to be enforced. LOL? 

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

ebay's customer base

Ebay's buyer base is little different from any other buyer base.   Shoplifters and scammers do not discriminate.    

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

ebay's customer base

@shawk2011 wrote:

@banana-posts wrote:

Rant over.

IMO the phenomenon you're talking about is directly related to ebay's liberal buyer policies with absolutely no investgation, or repercussions that is what created this situation.

Certainly can't argue with that assessment.

I do not believe there are more low lifes, scammers, and bottom feeders in general. But with the availablity of the internet, and ways of researching the easiest places and ways to scam has brought scammers out in the open, and in greater numbers.

I would have to disagree here. I believe that the number of scammers have grown quite a bit. There are youtube video's and other sites that detail ways of defrauding sellers. 

ebay's MBG, and lack of an attempt at enforcing policy such as "item must be returned in same condition as sent", automatically believing every thing a buyer says, and the absolute lack of even a cursory investigation by ebay has turned this site into a scammers paradise.

As an online classified ad Ebay shouldn't be offereing any kind of guarantee for either buyers or sellers. It can not verify anything from either party. It's "he said, she said" and Ebay doesn't do anything resembling an investigation and often decides cases in a couple of minutes.

The MBG has little impact on sellers when dealing with "honest" buyers who want the item they bought, and only try to return if there's a problem. Those buyers are truthful about reasons for returns, and don't fish for partials that won't fix the problem.

Honest buyers don't need to threaten FB, because they don't ask for things they are not entitled to. If they made the mistake they own up to it and pay return shipping, then sell it themselves, give it away, or keep the item.

See last comments.

A little research on the web tells scammers that it is easy to steal from sellers on ebay, with little chance of any punishment and a huge chance of success.

This draws them here in greater numbers, and a scammer will buy much more per person than an "honest buyer will.

100% correct.

An honest buyer doesn't need a dozen iphones, so they will only buy 1 or 2, while a scammer may scam 5 or 6 or more sellers out of their items to resell themselves elsewhere.

An "honest" buyer will only purchase so much because they PAY for their items, while scammers buy steal much more because they either get it free, or reduced in price, leaving them the money to run the scam again.

An Ebay facilitates this behavior via it's policies which sellers are forced to accept in order to list on this site.

Since ebay collects the FVF on EVERY sale, scam or not, and counts EVERY sale, scammers greatly contribute to ebay's profits, and the sales count they can show to the stock holders, ebay has very little incentive to try to slow them down.

Always follow the money.

IMO this will eventually be the downfall of ebay, because sellers will have to raise prices to cover losses. This will drive away "honest" buyers, the scammers won't care they're not paying in the long run anyway.

As "honest" buyers leave, sellers will experience more fraud because there will be proportionally more scammers vs. "honest" buyers. This in turn will cause more sellers to leave because the risks are too high on ebay.

I'm not sure that Ebay even cares at this point.

Once ebay is populated with only scammers, and Chinese sellers, the scammers will leave because ebay makes it hard to scam a Chinese seller. Then when the Chinese sellers go because they don't make enough what has ebay got left?

They might.....JUST MIGHT.....rethink they're previous actions. But I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

I'm not saying this will happen in the next few years, but if nothing changes to stop the theft here, it is a very likely scenario.

Only time will tell but I stopped selling over 2 years ago because I refuse to be made a victim. I also stopped buying since one activity fed the other. Many people I know have also stopped selling on this site because of the insanity here.

ebay sells NOTHING but ad space, and research. Once the "honest" buyers and the advertizers (sellers)  leave ebay can't sell ad space, and ebay has nothing to conduct research on.

Absolutely right again. Ebay sells nothing other than ad space. None of the property sold is owned by Ebay, it shouldn't be back dooring sellers with it's MBG since it can't verify anything. It shouldn't be guesstemating handling and shipping times since it does neither.

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

ebay's customer base

@kathieskorner wrote:

Ebay's buyer base is little different from any other buyer base.   Shoplifters and scammers do not discriminate.    

Nor do cheap people.  Oh, the stories I could tell of people who come into the store where I work and try to talk their way into discounts or complain when a sale isn't high enough for their liking or that one thing is on sale while another isn't.

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

ebay's customer base

OP, 

I do not think you can generalize about eBay's customer base as a whole. eBay has millions of buyers, and I think the quality of the customer base varies greatly between categories and niches. 

I sell modestly priced music memorabilia, and I think this niche helps me immensely.

Unlike clothing, no one needs these items so people aren't looking to steal them in order to send their kids to school. And unlike iPhones, there isn't much profit in stealing them for resale. I rarely have an issue with a return or a SNAD, and I think what I have chosen to sell it a big reason for that. 

Lucky

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

ebay's customer base

@kathieskorner wrote:

Really? If I was a shoplifter and/ or scammer, I'd most certainly go where the pickings are easiest and I know "mall security" is on my side... work smart, not hard, I always say.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 13 of 38
latest reply

ebay's customer base

@kathieskorner wrote:

Not exactly true, our buyers have ID's attached to a registered bank account or have the option of paying using using a different venue. You know who you're selling too. Oh, my bad, you were talking about eBay. Yes, you're right, sellers are screwed. Shoplifters and scammers do not discriminate

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

ebay's customer base

@yuzuha wrote:

@kathieskorner wrote:

I have to disagree, scammers, and shoplifters DO discriminate. They go where it's easiest to succeed, and where they have the least chance of punishment, or other consequences for their actions.

ebay provides both of those enticements in spades, and ebay's lack of even a rudimentary investigation makes ebay a prime location for scammers to ply their trade.

Most (not all) other places make some attempt to keep up with, and curb scammers, and thieves. ebay claims they do as well, but there is little evidence of it.

These things bring more scammers to ebay, where it's easy to steal, while scammers quickly learn to avoid places where thievery is made difficult.

While thievery is a problem all retail operations face, I believe it is more pronouced on ebay just because there are no checks, and balances.

This is not to say most ebay shoppers are scammers, I believe most are not.

But as I mentioned earlier a single scammer usually buys steals more often than a single honest buyer makes a purchase. And because of ebay's ease of refund/return abuse more scammers are attracted here.

Nor do cheap people.  Oh, the stories I could tell of people who come into the store where I work and try to talk their way into discounts or complain when a sale isn't high enough for their liking or that one thing is on sale while another isn't.

Of course you will always have people who TRY to get stuff cheaper anywhere. The difference is you aren't bullied into giving in to them, you can CHOOSE to say no, with little fear of retaliation.

On ebay you have to fear FB, or the return of a deliberately damaged item, or a return of some other junk when the cheapskate doesn't get their way. And if you attempt to stand up for your rights, ebay takes your money anyway, and slaps you with a defect to boot.

Whenever a seller finds the key to success, ebay changes the lock>wah photo 0767_zpsx6rpcmh5.png
Message 15 of 38
latest reply