cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to List Vintage Pony Tail - Real Human Hair - For wigmakers?

Purchased a box of antique correspondence at a recent estate auction and found a 6 ounce, 16" long ponytail in the bottom of it.  It's real human hair and was clearly cut from it's owners head as a pony tail.

I'm sure it has value (to wig/extension makers if no one else, but can't figure out where I would list it.  Searching for "real human hair" and "cut human hair" only brings up actual wigs.  But this is not a wig, it's just someone's pony tail.

Any advice on category, title keywords and even pricing would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

You would list under wigs and hair pieces.

First words should be human hair as it is preferred over synthetics.

Try doing a search under that category under sold listings to see an example of wording and prices that made them sell.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@itswickedfun wrote:

Purchased a box of antique correspondence at a recent estate auction and found a 6 ounce, 16" long ponytail in the bottom of it.  It's real human hair and was clearly cut from it's owners head as a pony tail.

I'm sure it has value (to wig/extension makers if no one else, but can't figure out where I would list it.  Searching for "real human hair" and "cut human hair" only brings up actual wigs.  But this is not a wig, it's just someone's pony tail.

Any advice on category, title keywords and even pricing would be much appreciated.

If the length is at least 10",  why not donate it to "Locks of Love" instead?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Make sure to mention that you are not sure of its age in your listing. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thanks everyone!  I finally managed to find a single listing of a cut pony tail to use for comparison.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

May I suggest you donate it to Locks of Love, a non-profit organization that makes wigs for children with cancer. I have grown my hair twice to donate; it's worth more to someone than money. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

There are better places to donate than Locks of Love. They charge for the wigs and it is NOT for children with cancer. 

Human hair, especially Caucasian hair, is a valuable commodity. And Locks of Love admits it does sell some of the hair, it just can’t say how much.

“We can’t figure out where that goes,” said Kent Chao. He runs Nonprofit Investor, a watchdog group that analyzes charities from a business perspective for potential investors. So they are more detailed than your typical charity watchdog.

But when he made those requests to Lock of Love, Chao said, “They indicated that Locks of Love does not count, track or keep lists of any hair donations they receive.”

“The missing pieces of information are actually fairly significant,” said Marc Owens, the former director of the tax-exempt division of the IRS. He said the charity’s 990 tax filings show a “program service revenue” of nearly $580,000. But there is no explanation or breakdown.

“There are just so many omissions, that it’s hard to say for certain that any of the data on the return is accurate,” he told KPIX 5.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

places to Donate hair

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@livadia wrote:

@itswickedfun wrote:

If the length is at least 10",  why not donate it to "Locks of Love" instead?

Maybe because Locks of Love throws most donations away and charges huge prices for their wigs?

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@pink53mustang wrote:

May I suggest you donate it to Locks of Love, a non-profit organization that makes wigs for children with cancer. I have grown my hair twice to donate; it's worth more to someone than money. 

They charge huge prices for the wigs and most hair donated gets thrown away.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for posting those sites my daughter has natural red hair and has a 16 inch cut ponytail that she was going to sell because of the huge demand for real red hair. But after telling her about the dangers of chargebacks and scammers she thought of donating it but wasn’t sure what service to use to get the greatest good.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison
Message 11 of 11
latest reply