eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Where can I drop off Fedex Smartpost?

Does anyone know if the Fedex SmartPost can be dropped off at the local Post Office? I printed the label using Smartpost because it was much cheaper than Parcel Select or UPS ground, for this particular package.

They were confused when I showed up with the package at the local PO. There was no "Fedex" logo on it, but after a bit of back-and-forth the PO guys said they would scan it (there are two bar codes, and one is a USPS code) and send it off. 

The nearest Fedex Service Center is about 40 miles away, there are a couple of Fedex boxes in town here, but I was told that these drop-off boxes are not for Fedex SmartPost drop off.  

Thanks for tips...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Where can I drop off Fedex Smartpost?

in reply to weyland_pubs

With SmartPost, FedEx transports your package almost all the way to its destination, then hands it off to USPS for final delivery. FedEx SmartPost packages can be dropped off at any staffed FedEx location, including FedEx Office centers. You should not drop off FedEx SmartPost packages at street-corner FedEx drop boxes, nor at the USPS, like you did.

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to henright

The FedEx website will show you the location for your zip code.

photo tig02-1.jpg
Teach a man to fish and you've lost a good customer.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to henright

"then hands it off to USPS for final delivery. "

except in my case, it never got delivered and was stuck in a Catch22- situation.  When it got to the P.O. it was given another tracking number which was not provided to me and since I didn't have a tracking number, they couldn't find it.  I hope never to order anything from someone who uses SmartPost.  Saves the seller money but very aggravating for the buyer when it goes blooey.

Someone somewhere is enjoying my 18 rolls of packing tape.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to catahoulacurry

Smartpost may be the slowest domestic service that I have ever used. It is terribile.

Just as bad as the DHL ----> USPS service.

Legitmately a 7+ business day service regardless of where my packages come from.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bangordiscount

Legitmately a 7+ business day service regardless of where my packages come from.

My seller swore he'd never had problems with them.  Well, maybe a few times, he admitted, but hardly ever, really.  Sometimes yes, but really never ever had a problem with SmartPost.  He saved soooo much money using them and he passed it on to the buyer. uh huh.

And he was sorry he couldn't get any info for me once it got to my post office because they wouldn't give it to him..only to me.:smileyhappy: And he was so sorry it had to happen to me.  Probably has that somewhere he can cut and paste.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Well, I called Fedex, and they said I can drop off at PO. Otherwise the nearest ship center is 40 miles.

I will just have to point out the USPS bar code if they PO guys have a question.

But I can understand your points about sslloooooowwwww service. Using "smart"post doesn't sound like the best way to gain customer loyalty.

I have a problem with Fedex going on several years now. I shipped a package ($300 sale for me) from Kansas  to Iowa. It arrived damaged so we agreed to ship back for refund. The Fedex guys sent it back to Virginia (I had lived in Virginia several years ago), where it disappeared. The label did say Kansas for my sending address. Fedex billed me $100, no I never paid it. Why should I? They never sent me my package back.   OK Black Max, make this my fault.

Please use plain text.
*eponymous*
Community Member

in reply to weyland_pubs

The package will get there faster than FE SmartPost if you hand-carry it!

"The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is 42"

Who said it? Just ask the resident noitall, who would claim s/he knew it before the author said it!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to *eponymous*

I also decided to try out Fedex Smartpost and I'm glad it's an option. All online retailers use it -- Gap, Kohls, Target, you name it. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. I order most of my family stuff online and have always gotten things within a week from coast to coast. On my eBay account I do also offer faster service if someone wants to pay more, but USPS Priority goes nuts one it crosses certain weight/size limits and/or zone and I'd be surprised if anyone will want it. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to *eponymous*
Received a FedEx Smartpost package more than 30 days later... earlier this year in the spring.

we wonder if it will get smoother/quicker as FedEx/USPS learns how to work together better and works out the kinks.
Please use plain text.
fruitacres
Community Member

in reply to weyland_pubs

weyland_pubs wrote:

Well, I called Fedex, and they said I can drop off at PO. Otherwise the nearest ship center is 40 miles.

I will just have to point out the USPS bar code if they PO guys have a question.

But I can understand your points about sslloooooowwwww service. Using "smart"post doesn't sound like the best way to gain customer loyalty.

I have a problem with Fedex going on several years now. I shipped a package ($300 sale for me) from Kansas  to Iowa. It arrived damaged so we agreed to ship back for refund. The Fedex guys sent it back to Virginia (I had lived in Virginia several years ago), where it disappeared. The label did say Kansas for my sending address. Fedex billed me $100, no I never paid it. Why should I? They never sent me my package back.   OK Black Max, make this my fault.

Regardless of the return address, did you have a FedEx account?  Did that account specify the VA address?  That would explain a lot.

This sig intentionally left blank

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to fruitacres

Fruiitacres, I did have a Fedex account. And my Fedex address for shipping was Kansas. However, it seems to me (as a computer programmer) they had another database or another data table, that still showed my address as Virginia. So it seems to me they have a database problem, or programming issue.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

I always learn by making mistakes - it's faster than reading! If you bang your head against the brick wall enough times, the wall will break.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cherietrees

"All online retailers use it -- Gap, Kohls, Target, you name it. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me."

Yeah, but "me" doesn't get the respect the big boys get. They will get good fast service fro their parcels. Me, and you, are "miscellaneous" - the leftovers to be handled of after their big customers have been taken care of. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to weyland_pubs

weyland_pubs wrote:

Over 45 miles from your post office to that ship center. Mailing it at your post office means USPS will handle it all the way, without involving FedEx as intended, quicker than SmartPost, but cheaper than USPS and without paying USPS any postage.

I just printed a FedEx SmartPost label. Where do I bring my package for shipment?

FedEx SmartPost packages can be dropped off at any staffed FedEx location, including FedEx Office centers. Please do not drop off your FedEx SmartPost packages at street-corner FedEx drop boxes. Please also note that FedEx SmartPost packages should never be dropped off at the U.S. Post Office, or picked up by your local mail person.
Please use plain text.
whartondoc
Community Member

in reply to hiwesdon

Considering the slowness of that service you'd so better dropping it off in the closest river for faster delivery.

Santa Claws is coming to town...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

catahoulacurry wrote:

"then hands it off to USPS for final delivery. "

except in my case, it never got delivered and was stuck in a Catch22- situation.

There's a line in tracking "Ready for Transport to USPS" where FedEx brings the packages to the local PO after the USPS carriers have already left with their deliveries for the day, causing all SmartPost packages to be delivered another day or more later.

OP may have gotten USPS this time to do all the work, with no payment to USPS, but at a discount rate paid to FedEx.

FedEx SmartPost initially moves packages through the FedEx shipping network, then hands it off to the local USPS postal office for final delivery.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to hiwesdon

causing all SmartPost packages to be delivered another day or more later.

It's been over  a month and as I said, once it got delivered to the USPS they put their own tracking number on it but tracking doesn't show the  number to me and I can't ask where it is without the tracking number and the original tracking number by fedex smartpost goes defunct once it gets a USPS tracking number, whatever that is.  Round and round we go.

Please use plain text.
*eponymous*
Community Member

in reply to cherietrees

Do you offer that as a free shipping option?  I wouldn't use it as a seller on eBay if you care about ship time DSR.

"The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is 42"

Who said it? Just ask the resident noitall, who would claim s/he knew it before the author said it!
Please use plain text.
d-k_treasures
Community Member

in reply to cherietrees

cherietrees wrote:

I also decided to try out Fedex Smartpost and I'm glad it's an option. All online retailers use it -- Gap, Kohls, Target, you name it. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. I order most of my family stuff online and have always gotten things within a week from coast to coast. On my eBay account I do also offer faster service if someone wants to pay more, but USPS Priority goes nuts one it crosses certain weight/size limits and/or zone and I'd be surprised if anyone will want it. 

The online retailers can't be dinged into oblivion.

I am NOT a follower.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to d-k_treasures

Correct, D.K.  I didn't leave my seller any f/b at all because he seemed like a nice enough guy/gal but the more I think of it, someone needs to start dinging him and maybe he'd get the message.  I got my refund but what I really wanted was not only 18 rolls of tape...but not to have wasted hours back and forth with him, fedex, USPS, to find my package to no avail.  That's what I explained to him that he was wasting MY time and I don't like that!  I don't feel like the onus should be on the buyer when a package goes amiss.  

The only time one of mine didn't make it to a buyer, it was ME putting in the time trying to find it.  I didn't just say, oh well, out of my hands,  I shipped it, no control over what happens to it once it hits the p.o., ball's in your court!  pfft 

Please use plain text.