eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: What to do about sellers that won't answer questions

in reply to phanoto

phanoto wrote:

title**wave wrote:

phanoto wrote:

612jcstoff wrote:

Tired of a poor seller that won't answer your question.  The edict of just don't buy from them isn't good enough.  I think Ebay should penalize the unprofessional / rude for their flippant attitude towards other ebay members.  Couldn't ebay remove their preferred status or induce some other penalty measure for the inconsiderate behavior?  Every ebay'r I've dealt with so far has always responded in one form or another to questions I've had, 99% of us members are good to deal with and want to help each other with what we're searching for.  The lousy 1% that have reached preferred status and then figure we don't have to do anything from here on out really infuriates me.  Why reward the rudeness and bad service with advice like "then don't buy from them"- why allow them to sell on ebay?

I also prefer that sellers answer my questions.

There is no way for eBay to do anything about a seller who does not answer questions unless the seller gets too many low ratings on "COMMUNICATION".

Aaahhhh, you would actually have to be the seller's customer to be able to "ding" the communication star. If the seller doesn't answer a question that you need to know in order to bid on said item, then why bid?

Since you asked me the question, "Why bid",  the only reason I can think of is that the item was what I wanted at the lowest price.

Even though you didn't get an answer to your question, you would still bid? Kind of silly to bid if you never got an answer to your question. Just wait for the next "anteek toaster" to bid on.

---------------------------------------------------------
Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to title**wave

title**wave wrote:

phanoto wrote:

title**wave wrote:

phanoto wrote:

612jcstoff wrote:

Tired of a poor seller that won't answer your question.  The edict of just don't buy from them isn't good enough.  I think Ebay should penalize the unprofessional / rude for their flippant attitude towards other ebay members.  Couldn't ebay remove their preferred status or induce some other penalty measure for the inconsiderate behavior?  Every ebay'r I've dealt with so far has always responded in one form or another to questions I've had, 99% of us members are good to deal with and want to help each other with what we're searching for.  The lousy 1% that have reached preferred status and then figure we don't have to do anything from here on out really infuriates me.  Why reward the rudeness and bad service with advice like "then don't buy from them"- why allow them to sell on ebay?

There is no way for eBay to do anything about a seller who does not answer questions unless the seller gets too many low ratings on "COMMUNICATION".

Aaahhhh, you would actually have to be the seller's customer to be able to "ding" the communication star. If the seller doesn't answer a question that you need to know in order to bid on said item, then why bid?

Since you asked me the question, "Why bid",  the only reason I can think of is that the item was what I wanted at the lowest price.

Even though you didn't get an answer to your question, you would still bid?

If the seller does not answer the question sufficiently in an email, the buyer can call the seller.  Sometimes it is easier to understand better on the phone than by email.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to phanoto

phanoto wrote:

title**wave wrote:

phanoto wrote:

title**wave wrote:

phanoto wrote:

612jcstoff wrote:

Even though you didn't get an answer to your question, you would still bid? Kind of silly to bid if you never got an answer to your question. Just wait for the next "anteek toaster" to bid on.

If the seller does not answer the question sufficiently in an email, the buyer can call the seller.  Sometimes it is easier to understand better on the phone than by email.

Sorry, your answer didn't make too much sense to the rest of us. Most, and I mean most people would not call a seller to ask the question. Again, pretty silly.

Oh and I added the rest of my quote in bolded that you omitted.

---------------------------------------------------------
Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to title**wave

title**wave wrote:

phanoto wrote:

Most, and I mean most people would not call a seller to ask the question.

To answer the OP's question,  "What to do about sellers that won't answer questions?",   emailing and phoning is about all I can think of that a buyer might want to do to contact a seller.

Of course, the buyer could send a letter by the Postal Service or send a telegram, but if I was the buyer, I would just buy it somewhere else instead of going to all that trouble. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to phanoto

Seems like some people are posting just to see their own posts - whether they make a bit of sense or not.

BTW - unless you have actually entered into a contract with another member, unless you're psychic, it

might be a tad difficult to phone them - since that is the only way to request their contact info. And I

would wonder why,  that if you are that psychic, you needed to ask a question in the 1st place.

I believe move on is the answer the OP needs to focus on. That and it seems they might want to control

their own behavior if they don't get a response.

Rolling Stones -  You can't always get what you want...

Feedback is voluntary
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to postme11
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to title**wave

Sometimes I have refused to answer a buyer's question simply because I could not find in me an appropriate tone for said answer, not the buyer's fault, but it is how I feel and when I am not feeling well I have found it is best to leave no answer, hope that sheds some light on one possibility.

You have reached the end of the Internet, please press any key to continue, any other key to quit, thank you.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to 612jcstoff

612jcstoff wrote:

Tired of a poor seller that won't answer your question.  The edict of just don't buy from them isn't good enough.  I think Ebay should penalize the unprofessional / rude for their flippant attitude towards other ebay members. 

What to do about a seller who won't answer your questions? Run. That is the only answer. You honestly want to buy from a hostile seller?  You want that agony?

Ebay is like a flea market, they rent out spaces and folks pull up their car and sell out of the trunk. The Flea Market manager (eBay) can't control every unprofessional seller and in this flea market they kick out the worst ones; and that is all part of the process here. You could try shopping at Macey's. They are great at answering all your questions.

Honestly, the best way to "penalize the unprofessional" here, is to deny them access to your pocket book.

And remember, no communication is communication, often sellers who know that you won't like the answer, won't answer. "Is this the rare vintage item or the cheep repro", If you don't get an answer it doesn't take a degree to know what the answer would have been.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 612jcstoff
Is it so out of line to ask whether an inseam length is a true measurement? I've noticed jeans lengths can vary by as much as three inches even within the same brand, style and waist size on the label. Many people believe that if the label size is 27R the inseam will always be 32 but that's definitely not true. Nobody wants to have their jeans arrive only to find they're too short -- there's nothing one can do with jeans that are too short.

Just now I was mulling over whether to grab a pair of jeans that were being offered on a BIN basis, but had asked the seller to confirm the length measurement, but they never responded. In every other way the jeans would have been just what I was looking for. This seller doesn't allow returns or I might have taken the chance and bought them anyway. But now they're gone because someone else snapped them up ahead of me.

it any wonder buyers get frustrated? Please remember, we don't do this every day and we're not as familiar with the merchandise as the seller is.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pithecanthropus4152

Is it so out of line to ask whether an inseam length is a true measurement?

Kind of.

Especially if the question is phrased like that.  "Is that a true measurement?"

You could ask a seller to double-check the measurement for you, as you need the inseam to be a specific length, but if the seller doesn't answer, then don't buy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ex Policy Monkey now just another addlepated poster who can't find or explain a gosh darned thing
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 612jcstoff
I did use that wording, but accompanied by additional language with which I hoped to minimize the possibility of any affront, like so:

" Can you confirm that this is a true measurement? I ask only because I thought a regular length was always 32, but have found that's not always so with this brand."

BTW I enjoyed reading your answer, especially the 4th example.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

pithecanthropus4152 wrote:
I did use that wording, but accompanied by additional language with which I hoped to minimize the possibility of any affront, like so:

" Can you confirm that this is a true measurement? I ask only because I thought a regular length was always 32, but have found that's not always so with this brand."

Well, it may sound touchy, but in general, I find I'm apt not to answer questions from people who want me to confirm something vs double-check it, and the word 'true' tends to send me into a bit of a spasm, because it makes me worry that later we might have a disagreement about whether the sky is really blue and dirt is really brown.  I''m much happier if I'm asked to take a specific measurement, or double-check one that really matters to the buyer or sounds wonky.  

Examples of questions like yours that worry me:

1. Is that a true size 10?

2. Is that a true medium?

3. Is that 32/16 1/2 shirt really 32/ 16 1/2?

4. Is that a true red?  Or is it more a scarlet? Or does it have any orange in it?

5. Is that really burgundy?  Could it be more cinnamon?  Or brick? Or claret?

6. I wear a size 6 and am 5'3" tall and am very busty. Will this fit me?

Examples of questions I like better:

1. You list these pants as 27/32 - would you mind double-checking whether the inseam is really 32"?  I'm not very tall and the last pair of 27/32 pants I bought had a 34" inseam so I had to hem them - and I'd like to wear these right away

2.  Your skirt is listed as XL but the bust is 30".  Is that correct?  That seems really small for a XL  or is it really super stretchy?

3.  Your pants are listed as amethyst - they look kind of blue in the pictures but you have Purple in the item specifics. Can you tell me if they're blue or purple.

4.   You listed this skirt as having a 132" sweep.  Would you please tell me what a sweep is?

See the difference?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ex Policy Monkey now just another addlepated poster who can't find or explain a gosh darned thing
Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to city*satins

city*satins wrote:

pithecanthropus4152 wrote:

Well, it may sound touchy, but in general, I find I'm apt not to answer questions from people who want me to confirm something vs double-check it, and the word 'true' tends to send me into a bit of a spasm, because it makes me worry that later we might have a disagreement about whether the sky is really blue and dirt is really brown.  I''m much happier if I'm asked to take a specific measurement, or double-check one that really matters to the buyer or sounds wonky.  

Examples of questions like yours that worry me:

1. Is that a true size 10?

2. Is that a true medium?

3. Is that 32/16 1/2 shirt really 32/ 16 1/2?

4. Is that a true red?  Or is it more a scarlet? Or does it have any orange in it?

5. Is that really burgundy?  Could it be more cinnamon?  Or brick? Or claret?

6. I wear a size 6 and am 5'3" tall and am very busty. Will this fit me?

I'm not sure I get the difference between "confirm" and "double-check" here; or the offense of alluding to a "true" size as opposed to a label size.  IMHO it's common knowledge that jean sizes vary widely what with vanity sizing or even  just manufacturing shortcuts (e.g., often the factory will cut a dozen layers of denim at once--try doing that with construction paper and then compare the cutouts).  IME the sizing around the waist and hips tends to be pretty consistent, but the lengths not so much.

As for your examples above , the fact is that I really try to stay away from from anything vague or subjective like (4), (5), and (6).   (Well, I'm a guy, so I wouldn't be asking about skirts or busty tops anyway, but you get the idea.)   However, some sellers will volunteer the fact that a garment may look lighter or darker in the pictures than it actually is.  I know how difficult it can be to get  the color of clothes to come out right in photos, so on a handful of occasions when the seller hasn't volunteered,  I have asked if the actual article in question is darker than the picture. I think that's a reasonably objective question with a yes or no answer.  But I wouldn't ask the seller how much darker the item is, because there we enter the realm of the subjective.

Question (3)--(the shirt question):  At the risk of  splitting hairs,  I wouldn't ask that about a shirt, if I would buy one on eBay in any case.  i could ask how long the sleeves are, but it wouldn't help much without knowing how long the shoulder seams are or how wide the collar sits.   American cut, European cut, straight T or "muscle" T, there are too many variables and I wouldn't ask a seller to enumerate all of that out for me.  Shirts are complicated.

As for (1) and (2), well, I think I speak for most buyers when I say we're not trying to insult sellers or question their honesty.  We ask for information because we hope to make a buy..

city*satins wrote:

Examples of questions I like better:

1. You list these pants as 27/32 - would you mind double-checking whether the inseam is really 32"?  I'm not very tall and the last pair of 27/32 pants I bought had a 34" inseam so I had to hem them - and I'd like to wear these right away.

2.  Your skirt is listed as XL but the bust is 30".  Is that correct?  That seems really small for a XL  or is it really super stretchy?

3.  Your pants are listed as amethyst - they look kind of blue in the pictures but you have Purple in the item specifics. Can you tell me if they're blue or purple.

4.   You listed this skirt as having a 132" sweep.  Would you please tell me what a sweep is?

(1)  (Emphasis mine): I was taking it for granted that the seller doesn't need to know the detailed personal backstory about the last pair having been too long or how soon I need to wear the new ones, so I just tried to keep it short and to the point.  Although, as evident in my example, I will give a general reason, like having noticed a lot of variations in the "Regular" length of a given style and waist size.  (2) and (3) seem rather subjective to me, actually; if you were to ask me whether something is amethyst or purple, I probably wouldn't be able to tell you.  To me anything between red and blue is purple or indigo.

Here's the thing: I wouldn't call up the store and ask them if such-and-such is a true measurement, because I can simply go there and try clothing on.  I'm not even required to buy anything.  But the whole point of eBay is that it's all online--we can't try things on before we buy.  I think I can speak for most eBay buyers when I say that we're not trying to annoy or insult the seller when we ask for detailed information on a piece of clothing.  We hope to confirm that the item in question is what we're looking for, and if it is we will bid on it.

city*satins wrote:

See the difference?

I guess not, for the most part.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]

the offense of alluding to a "true" size as opposed to a label size.  

it's not that it's an offense. It's that it's meaningless. There's no such thing as a true size 10.  So what am I supposed to tell the buyer other than to read the measurements, at which point the buyer may or may not confess that she doesn't own a measuring tape, never has owned a measuring tape, and plans to continue buying on eBay without ever once attempting to understand what the measurements of a garment have to do with the fit of her (or his) clothing?

But that same buyer on getting the garment won't hesitate a minute to write and tell me the item is SNAD because it's not a TRUE size 10 and she always wears a size 10 therefore I should give her all her money back including postage to return it.

I have asked if the actual article in question is darker than the picture. I think that's a reasonably objective question with a yes or no answer. 

But I can't see it on your monitor so how do I know?   It looks like the real-life color on my 3 monitors.

i could ask how long the sleeves are, but it wouldn't help much without knowing how long the shoulder seams are or how wide the collar sits.   American cut, European cut, straight T or "muscle" T, there are too many variables and I wouldn't ask a seller to enumerate all of that out for me.  Shirts are complicated.

Well that's good but there are some buyers who will ask this question.

As for (1) and (2), well, I think I speak for most buyers when I say we're not trying to insult sellers or question their honesty.  We ask for information because we hope to make a buy..

I understand that, but sometimes the buyer's question is really difficult to answer because the seller can't tell what the buyer is really asking.  

As a seller of women's clothing one of the most common questions I get is "What is the hip measurement".   They'll ask this even when I list something boxy where the bust measurement is 40" and the circumference at the hem is 40" and you can see clearly from the pictures that the top falls straight and doesn"t have a waistline and just hangs straight.   Duhhh...the hips measurement is 40", sister.   Or they'll ask this when the waist stretches from say 40" to 54" and the sweep is 60".  The hip has to be between 54" and 60" but I don't know  that she won't come out and say that she really wants to know is what's the BUTT measurement because she has a 42" waist, 52" hips, but is 58" around the butt.   But she doesn't want to tell me this and so I guess and say - it's 56" measured 8" from the waist, is that where you want the hip measured and she writes back JUST TELL ME WHAT THE HIPS MEASURE!!!!!! all impatient-like. So she gets blocked.

Here's the thing: I wouldn't call up the store and ask them if such-and-such is a true measurement, because I can simply go there and try clothing on.  I'm not even required to buy anything.  But the whole point of eBay is that it's all online--we can't try things on before we buy.  I think I can speak for most eBay buyers when I say that we're not trying to annoy or insult the seller when we ask for detailed information on a piece of clothing.

And I totally support that and am more than willing to measure just about anything except underwear for a buyer. But I need to know where the buyer wants each end of the tape placed.  And asking me if something is a TRUE measurement or a TRUE size isn't helping me to find out what the buyer really wants to know and getting impatient with me when I try to drill down to find out doesn't help either.  

As a seller, I want to sell my item but equally important, I want it to stay sold.  I really don't want to see it back again and end up with a hole in my pocket and sometimes an unresellable garment because somebody tore the seams trying to get it on over her disproportionately large calves, or thighs or hips or waist and doesn't want to get a measuring tape to find out what measurements work for her when she's shopping online.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 612jcstoff
I don't think I articulated my original point very well, because I was thinking of just one measurement on one type of garment. The inseam length on jeans is probably the most easily taken measurement that exists in the world of clothes.

I totally get that most other officially stated sizes on labels are anything but objective and it's doubtful that a "true 27 waist" or a "bona fide size 4" exists. Ergo, there's not much you can do to answer questions like that.

Thank you for the comprehensive explanation.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

And thanks to you for letting me go on more than I probably should.

Please use plain text.
jbushee
Community Member

in reply to 612jcstoff

Simplest solution is to remove the requirement that someone needs to buy from them before they can leave feedback for a seller.

If folks are able to leave negative feedback because a seller refuses to answer questions about a listing- description, condition, etc, and it will quickly get sellers attention, as well as provide a valuable tool for buyers.

I also don't think it's right that a seller can be displayed with 100% when they've had negatives.  OK, yo're averaging, but if you've EVER had a negative, you aren't 100%

Please use plain text.
jbushee
Community Member

in reply to phanoto

Unfortunately the only way that can happen is if you buy from them first...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to title**wave

title**wave wrote:

phanoto wrote:

612jcstoff wrote:

Aaahhhh, you would actually have to be the seller's customer to be able to "ding" the communication star. If the seller doesn't answer a question that you need to know in order to bid on said item, then why bid? Seems kind of silly. Just move on.

See how simple this Ebay stuff is?

:manvery-happy:

Whether I would just "move on" or not depends upon the item and how much I want an item of that kind.

If the buyer asks a question, and the seller does not answer, but the buyer buys the item anyway, the  buyer may be dissatisfied with the seller's lack of communication.

Also, the buyer may feel that the item is not as described.  If the seller had answered the buyer's question with more detail about the item, the buyer might feel that the seller described the item sufficiently. 

Please use plain text.
beesz
Community Member

in reply to jbushee

jbushee wrote:

Simplest solution is to remove the requirement that someone needs to buy from them before they can leave feedback for a seller.

If folks are able to leave negative feedback because a seller refuses to answer questions about a listing- description, condition, etc, and it will quickly get sellers attention, as well as provide a valuable tool for buyers.

I also don't think it's right that a seller can be displayed with 100% when they've had negatives.  OK, yo're averaging, but if you've EVER had a negative, you aren't 100%

Where's the thumbs down button?

Lithium, we need a thumbs down option as well as the kudos (thumbs up).

Women are angels. And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that.
Please use plain text.