eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
aironthemountain-ksc
Community Member

What Are Your Takes on the New Policy Changes???

From what I have read regarding the new policy changes, it seems to be a mixed bag.

There are two fewer DSR ratings to be concerned with, but a 3 in "Item As Described" will be treated the same as a 1 or 2. Also, neutral feedback is also going to count against sellers.

I have a few questions I still need to dig into.

Will one-day shipping time with tracking, and delivery within four days, still supposedly protect a seller from a low shipping time rating?

What exact standards will be used to determine if a return "indicates the item was not as described"?

What if an "eBay Money Back Guarantee (previously known as eBay Buyer Protection) or PayPal Purchase Protection case opened for an item not received or an item not as described." is found in your favor? Is a seller still going to be slighted?

What if "Seller-cancelled transactions" are a full refund to the buyer plus the original shipping (if shipping is involved)? Is a seller going to be slighted in such situations?

Overall, I think some sellers may be better off than under the previous situation. Yet, there are some other areas I am reading about which are of concern.

What are your thoughts on the new policy?

Please use plain text.
volvo351
Community Member

Re: What Are Your Takes on the New Policy Changes???

in reply to aironthemountain-ksc

Freakin' Incredible... THREE stars on a five-star scale is now a DING?   Take a look at the description under 3 Stars..it basically says "Meh!" which means I have no real complaints.  Objectively, that indicates that I got EXACTLY what was described; it wasn't  any worse or better than seller had stated. 

Which two Stars were eliminated?  If I had to pick two the Communication would certainly be ONE to go....as a buyer I don't give a rodent's posterior whether the buyer "communicated" with me or if he spoke/typed Mandarin...if I got my item on time & in good shape that's what counts.

Please use plain text.
aironthemountain-ksc
Community Member

in reply to volvo351

COMMUNICATION and SHIPPING COST DSRs were eliminated.

From what I am reading in other posts, it seems some now think that any case opened is going to count against you whether or not it is found in your favor. If this is true, think of all the cases already being opened if a buyer simply contacts you about an item you sold them. Heck, they could be sending a THANK YOU message and it may register as an open case.

I am not sure of the validity of this concern, but there seems to be a number of sellers holding this viewpoint so I will give it some credence and further research.

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

Eliminating the Shipping Cost DSR wouldn't be a bad thing.

The shipping cost is irrelevant. The only number that matters is the total cost.  $19 + $1 shipping is the same as $1 plus $19 shipping. Maybe now that they can't ding it, they will take the time to ADD two simple numbers before they buy, rather than taking it out on the seller if they don't like the total after buying.

Please use plain text.
aironthemountain-ksc
Community Member

in reply to gopetersen

Yes, I wish someone had the actual number of 4s, 3s, etc. that have been left for shipping costs when the seller actually paid more than what they charged the buyer. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
ywhat4now
Community Member

aironthemountain-ksc wrote:

Will one-day shipping time with tracking, and delivery within four days, still supposedly protect a seller from a low shipping time rating?

What exact standards will be used to determine if a return "indicates the item was not as described"?

What if an "eBay Money Back Guarantee (previously known as eBay Buyer Protection) or PayPal Purchase Protection case opened for an item not received or an item not as described." is found in your favor? Is a seller still going to be slighted?

What if "Seller-cancelled transactions" are a full refund to the buyer plus the original shipping (if shipping is involved)? Is a seller going to be slighted in such situations?

1)  Yep.....and will be the basis for winning an INR, since cases can be opened 1 day after ebay's estimated time of delivery and the only way to escape a "defect" is to win the case.

2)  Messages.

3)  No.......winning a case is still a win for the seller.

4)  Yep..........seller is defective.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything above & below this line is opinion
Please use plain text.
aironthemountain-ksc
Community Member

in reply to ywhat4now

On #3, I am assuming this only is relevant when the case is escalated.

Please use plain text.
duchess-at-speakeasy
Community Member

Neutral feedback already counts against sellers because it is usually accompanied by low DSR's.  The biggest buyer gripes seem to be "not as described" and "shipping cost."  The latter no longer will be open for complaint, with or without "free shipping."

Buyers will not be able to file an INR case until 1 day after the last estimated delivery date.  Granted, many of the estimates are short of reality.

The best defense against SNAD is to have detailed Item Specifics and description, especially with regard to condition.  Clear, sharp photos are essential.  A buyer's complaints are without merit if the listing shows otherwise.

Obviously, if an item arrives damaged, then the seller easily can solve the problem before any SNAD complaunt is escalated.

Any case found in the seller's favor (or no fault) does not count against the seller.

Seller-initiated cancellations will cause problems -- out of stock, price too low, seller does not like buyer's attitude, non-payment, etc.   If an item is accidentally broken or undisclosed flaws are found, a seller should ask if the buyer wishes to cancel and receive a refund or accept a substitute.  The buyer's request to cancel and refund does NOT go against the seller.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess

To eBay, I think we hover somewhere between loathed, tolerated, and ignored.
Please use plain text.
retro_console_accessories
Community Member

Thank god for getting rid of communication star.

That star cost me $300 last year (I lost TRS for 3 months) because one buyer asked me a question, I didn't answer it for several days, he then went ahead and bought 6 items.

But I have a very good reason for being unable to answer every question I get quickly.

A lot of people ask me questions that google turns up the answer to quite easily. A lot ask very convoluted questions that require lengthy explanations (and usually google has those answers too.) A lot of it has nothing necessarily to do with my products. I make all my own products, and sometimes I am bogged down with orders. I don't want any more orders, because I don't have time to fulfill them, and sometimes I don't want a novice buyer who will take up the time I don't have that I need to spend on others, asking loads of techie questions. I don't want to increase my prices for everyone because of these questions. I don't want to feel obliged to answer them right away, I answer them in my free time. So if you ask me a question that requires a convoluted techie answer, and you don't get that answer for several days, you either decide not to buy (that would be fine by me if my workload is especially huge that week) or you wait for your answer when I get around to it (and I'm wading through lots) or you can go google the answer.

What this buyer did was cost me $600. He gave me 6x1 star ratings on the dsr, and as I already had had one other person leave one low star on communication, I lost my TRS.

So I'm infinitely glad the communication rating is going. I will be happy to answer questions, it's just that - if I am busy, if I got too many questions, if I don't really have time for a novice buyer that week because I'm snowed under with orders, I'd like to pick the timeframe so that I can answer questions in my own schedule without worrying about losing $300 in discounts. And that keeps prices lower for everyone.
Please use plain text.
duchess-at-speakeasy
Community Member

A case is not a case until the buyer escalates it.  Inquiries do not count against a seller, even now.  However, I do think that eBay should add a prominent "reason" for the inquiry -- such as "Ask a question" or "Need more information."  As it stands now, "Other" is virtually invisible, especially if the buyer simply wants to ask if an item has been shipped.  The buyer sees "Item Not Received" and pounces on it as the subject even though there's no complaint!

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess

To eBay, I think we hover somewhere between loathed, tolerated, and ignored.
Please use plain text.
ywhat4now
Community Member

in reply to retro_console_accessories

retro_console_accessories wrote:

What this buyer did was cost me $600. He gave me 6x1 star ratings on the dsr, and as I already had had one other person leave one low star on communication, I lost my TRS.

The new updated policy will (supposedly) prevent that......................

• The defect rate won't affect your status until you have transactions with defects with at least 8 different buyers (at least 5 different buyers to impact Top Rated status) within your evaluation period.

That's a huge defect in the way that DSRs are calculated now.......and the reason that I limit any new buyer to only 2 puchases within the allowed 10 day period.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
cynthealee2
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to duchess-at-speakeasy

If the case is opened for SNAD, unless the seller escalates and it is found either in the seller's favor or no fault simply having the case open counts as a defect.

If the buyer opens an INR, and the answer is on your front porch, and the buyer closes the case the case will count against you.

If the buyer opens an INR, and the answer is on your front porch and the SELLER calls and has the case escalated in the Seller's favor, the case will not count against you.

A Case is opened for SNAD, and INR when the buyer chooses those options on the "ask the seller a question page"... even if all they wanted to ask you was were did ebay hide the tracking, the case is going to count against you UNLESS you call eBay and get the cases closed in your favor.

Please use plain text.
arrg.inc
Community Member

I am happy about some things but have some severe concerns about others. 

My main concern is the item not as described. Any time someone opens a refund request and says item not as described, it is a defect. I would say that 8 out of 10 of my IND returns are indeed functioning and two of these just this month have been people trying to switch out units with thier old ones. According to eBay my defect rate is greater than 2% because of the returns. I would loose TSR for something which isn't my fault. Also, most of the items I sell are new which I don't always open or test. So now I'm responsible for manufacturer errors even though I may correct the issue without having to have a case opened. 

I am going to be scrambling now to write tougher return policies to include language about serial numbers etc to hopefully thwart those who are tying to switch out product etc. I don't see very good things coming my way with this change. 

Please use plain text.
ywhat4now
Community Member

in reply to duchess-at-speakeasy

duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:

A case is not a case until the buyer escalates it.  

Not so sure about that...........a case is opened anytime the buyer chooses "I have not received my item" or "the item I received is not as described".

There are other comms that do not open cases, but these 2 do open cases.........not all cases are escalated, but they will still count as a defect.....the way that I understand it. Only cases that are escalated (by seller or buyer) and found in favor of seller will not count as a defect.......and cases that are found to be "no fault"......no faults are not counted as a defect.
  Here's the FAQ(s) pertaining to the subject.

What is considered an opened case?

An opened case is a case filed for an item not received or not as described through the eBay Money Back Guarantee or through PayPal Purchase Protection that passes checks for eligibility or fraud.

Aren't all buyer contacts through the resolution center or eBay's member-to-member communication system counted as opened cases?

No, opened cases are only counted when the buyer chooses:

• "I haven't received it yet" or "I received an item that does not match the seller's description" in the resolution center
  • "I haven't received my item yet" or "Item I received is not as described" from the "Contact seller" link in My eBay.

Neither of the "item not received" options can be chosen until one business day after the estimated delivery date.

BTW.....IMO.....the 2nd FAQ could just as easily have been answered....."Yes, unless the buyer can find our hidden "other" category".

Please use plain text.
moto-science
Community Member

in reply to ywhat4now

There's too much turmoil here.....too many silly rules with meaningless metrics from a company which has too many flaws already.

At least they are warning us not to put too much work into new listings because under the new scheme sellers are even more disposable.....yay!  Can you feel the contemptthey have for sellers ?

I can see I will be leaving soon. Not going to renew on an annual basis again.

Sellers bring the content......and I'm not going to pay Ebay to be abused.

Want to live a happy life ? Stay away from dysfunctional people and situations.

Standalone web site is my best future.....this place is toast.

Please use plain text.