cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted "immediate payment required"

I believe my buy-it-nows are all requiring immediate payment even though I do not want that  and I do not check that box when I list. 

Can anyone check that on my listings? Here is one I picked randomly.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Button-Set-Cocktails-Martini-Manhattan-Side-Car-/142411043333?ssPage...

Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 167
latest reply
166 REPLIES 166

Though I did not find the IPR notice on the listing, apparently it is IPR for I clicked on Buy It Now, and your listing apparently is still live. 

There was discussion about this on one of the recent weekly chats with ebay staff.  It is something they are doing on purpose. 

Message 2 of 167
latest reply

SO, do ALL buy-it-nows require immediate payment? 

I brought this up with ebay many months ago, called them. It was one of those things where they tell you anything to get you off the phone. Then, I forgot about it til now. So, it's nothing new.

Message 4 of 167
latest reply

See this post #41 from ebay
Appears they are rolling this to all sellers a little here & there

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/BIN-is-ONLY-wanting-instant-payment/td-p/26907283/page...

Message 5 of 167
latest reply

@labs118 wrote:

See this post #41 from ebay
Appears they are rolling this to all sellers a little here & there

The thought occurred to me that maybe it's a strategy to help prevent newbie laptop and smartphone sellers from getting into payment scams, since of course we always recommend to them that if they must list such scam-bait here, they should at least have the IPR flag set on their BIN listing, so that no scammer can yank their item off the market without actually paying them for it first.

However, in looking at that posted link to @Anonymous's statement, I see no mention of any reason like that at all, just a lot of discussion about workarounds to enable combined purchases and such. The description of an incremental rollout talks about slowly increasing percentages of sellers to be affected, but no mention of whether those are new vs. old sellers, or what.

Message 6 of 167
latest reply

The basic Help page on IPR implies that the rollout will eventually affect everyone. It was first introduced in the Seller Update for spring 2013.

Immediate payment is automatically required on items priced below $1000, that have a specified shipping cost, and where PayPal is the only payment method offered.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/require-immediate-payment.html

Message 7 of 167
latest reply

It'd be nice if they *did* roll it out as default - we use IPR on all listings (except freight), but eBay system glitches in the past few months has sporadically removed the check on listings here and there (as well as shipping options changed to methods we do *not* use).  And since we have over 8k things listed, it's hard to catch. 

Edit to say that I realize IPR doesn't work for every seller.  We still need the option to choose.  And, in reading that thread linked, personally I don't give a rat's patoot if a buyer is "upset" because a non-paying bidder case is opened against them for failing to pay for the purchase.  eBay should not be concerned about it, either.

~Melody R

Message 8 of 167
latest reply

I looked at one of my listing because I do require immediate payment. under shipping and payments, on mine right under the big logo "paypal payment" mine says in big letters IMMEDIATE PAYMENT REQUIRED.

I looked at your listing and I did not see that on yours.

Message 9 of 167
latest reply

@terrycanarsky wrote:

It'd be nice if they *did* roll it out as default

No, it wouldn't be nice at all.

Unless you couldn't care less about someone buying more than one item from you.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@terrycanarsky wrote:

If a buyer wants to buy more than one item and a seller doesn't have combined shipping set up the user can add the items to the care and click request total this will give a commit to buy option 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 11 of 167
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@terrycanarsky wrote:

If a buyer wants to buy more than one item and a seller doesn't have combined shipping set up the user can add the items to the care and click request total this will give a commit to buy option 

ONLY if it works, and ONLY if the buyers figure that out, and ONLY if they get or can find the link.

I'm guessing you didn't see my edit.

Message 13 of 167
latest reply

The only reason I care is because people want me to hold things so they can add to it and combine shipping, not necessarily on the same day.

I am more than happy to do that but only before they pay so I won't mess up my 1 day handling discount. Buyers DO NOT understand this. 

Why there isn't an easy way to hold things for buyers so they can buy more, and still follow 1-day shipping rule, is beyond me.

Message 14 of 167
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@qtazza wrote:

I believe my buy-it-nows are all requiring immediate payment even though I do not want that  and I do not check that box when I list. 

Can anyone check that on my listings? Here is one I picked randomly.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Button-Set-Cocktails-Martini-Manhattan-Side-Car-/142411043333?ssPage...

Thank you in advance!

Hey everyone, I wanted to hop in and confirm that Immediate Payment is required for items under $1000. There are a variety of reasons we have moved in this direction, mostly related to reducing Unpaid Item cases and minimizing abuse on the site. Overall, this change should increase traffic and sales for our sellers. You can see more info about Immediate Payment by visiting: http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/require-immediate-payment.html

Message 15 of 167
latest reply