cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shame on you, eBay!

I just relisted quite a few items. In my rush, I did not notice that I relisted some items twice. eBay tells me that only one item will be shown, while the second one will be shown when the firt one sells. This is weird. I did not list two similar items, but the exact same item twice. eBay should have noticed this and warn me that I was listing  the same item twice. I cancelled the duplicate items, but eBay is still charging me for the listing of the duplicates. Shame on you, eBay! This is not the way you should make your profit.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Shame on you, eBay!

@vilkau wrote:

I just relisted quite a few items. In my rush, I did not notice that I relisted some items twice.

Here's a handy duplicate listing scanner:

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/DuplicateListings.htm

eBay tells me that only one item will be shown, while the second one will be shown when the firt one sells. This is weird. I did not list two similar items, but the exact same item twice. eBay should have noticed this and warn me that I was listing  the same item twice.

Instead of sticking you with a duplicate listing violation they posted a warning that the second item wouldn't be shown. Some people aren't so lucky as you.

I cancelled the duplicate items, but eBay is still charging me for the listing of the duplicates. Shame on you, eBay! This is not the way you should make your profit.

You said you're the one who listed the item twice, so what did eBay do wrong here? Charging you listing fees for items you yourself listed?

I've had items relist on their own, and THAT is frustrating... but if I duplicated a listing myself I'm not going to blame eBay because I made a mistake.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Shame on you, eBay!

If you think they charged you wrongly just call them on the phone and tell them what happened, they will credit your account.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Shame on you, eBay!

vilkau wrote:

In my rush, I did not notice that I relisted some items twice.

This has been a no-no on eBay for a long time, accidental or not.  I guess I don't get why you are upset with ebay...  ???

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Shame on you, eBay!

@mistwomandancing Because the OP expects eBay to post a warning before they duplicate a listing instead of doing their own due diligence and checking their own listings.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Shame on you, eBay!

Yeah, I caught that:   "...eBay should have noticed this and warn me..."   Smiley Wink   Smiley Very Happy

Ebay either has their fingers / noses too deeply into our businesses here, or... they don't notice enough and take care of our little errors for us along the way depending on which post we're reading here.    Smiley Tongue  lol

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Shame on you, eBay!

No kidding! Wind blowing in every direction, posting here is like navigating through a storm.

OP got lucky, in my opinion. How many times have we seen somebody with a duplicate listing get slapped with policy violation, an account suspension, or even a defect when the duplicate sold before they caught it...

If all the OP has to do is pay a 30 cent listing fee they got off easy. It was their error and eBay did notify them before any damage was done to their account.

Personally, if I was that upset over my mistake and having to pay for the listing I would have made some lemonade... changed the listing title, photos, category, specs & description to a completely different item. No longer a duplicate, no warning message, new item would be added to search, and no wasted 30 cent fee.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Shame on you, eBay!

eBay has always warned me before a listing that was a duplicate even went though, so they are all blocked before you can submit them with a red warning box at the top.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Shame on you, eBay!

copper.boom wrote:

No kidding! Wind blowing in every direction, posting here is like navigating through a storm.

OP got lucky, in my opinion. How many times have we seen somebody with a duplicate listing get slapped with policy violation, an account suspension, or even a defect when the duplicate sold before they caught it...

That's the scary thing!  Running duplicate listings is a policy violation, and some sellers have really been damaged from even accidentally having it happen to them.

I'm wondering if eBay is easing back off of HURTING us and just going to charge us for it now.  Smiley Very Happy
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Shame on you, eBay!

@liq1000 wrote:

eBay has always warned me before a listing that was a duplicate even went though, so they are all blocked before you can submit them with a red warning box at the top.

I have only ever received that warning once. Other times the listing goes through and I get the same message the OP got about second listing not appearing in search until the first one sells.

Don't know why it's different at different times - perhaps it's based on category or something - but eBay does not always display a warning prior to a listing going live. Sellers need to check their own listings.

I have one item that keeps duplicating itself. I list it... then a few days later it pops up as a second listing (not listed by me) and I keep having to delete the duplicate. This isn't even my error and I'm using up my listings for it. It's my responsibility to check my own account for duplicates.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Shame on you, eBay!

copper.boom wrote:

Don't know why it's different at different times - perhaps it's based on category or something -

I've wondered if getting that heads-up warning has anything to do with what listing platform or form we use in making up our listings before uploading them...

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Shame on you, eBay!

Hmm... well the one time I got the warning before listing I was using the same listing tool as the times when it went through and showed the message after the fact so I don't know if the listing tool is the connection but it's a good thought. That's why I thought it might be based more on category or something.

I doubt even eBay knows...

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Shame on you, eBay!

@mistwomandancing

TL will give you a warning.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Shame on you, eBay!

@sockmonkeydave And how do you figure the odds that whatever tool eBay is building to replace TL will do the same. Smiley Indifferent

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Shame on you, eBay!

The message that OP received was because it was a duplicate auction listing.  If you have duplicate items that are listed as auctions ~ one will show until it receives a bid and then the other will automatically list

https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/sc

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 15 of 24
latest reply