cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relisting books problem

This problem started for me last week. Any time a book listing ends and I go to relist it, I get an error code message in red stating not allowed to list this in this catagory....which does not make sense when its a book and was there all the times before. I have tried everything. ebay's tech department tried to tell me it was a problem on my computer that they were not seeing this, yet the initial ebay agent said she could see the error code. Anyone else having this same problem? This was never an issue till last week. Thank you

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: Relisting books problem

Hi Heidi: Please add my store to the list as well. It's been happening when I relist or sell similar for a week or so now. Thank you.

Message 16 of 62
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll be keeping an eye on threads about this issue and adding those I see. We do apologize for any inconvenience this is causing. I know it will take more time but starting a brand new listing should help get around any errors while we're having this addressed.

Message 17 of 62
latest reply

I just had this happen for the first time on a new listing today. I clicked someting on the top to change the catagory to Books> Antique and collectible and it worked.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 18 of 62
latest reply

The scanner/printer sits right next to me, so it's a quick way to do a picture of the cover of the book.  Except when I have to run downstairs to pull the book because it won't let me upload and I've already put it in inventory! 

If the book looks different than the stock picture or is in less than very good condition, then I'll do a picture.  Every once in a while the stock picture is really bad or really small.  Otherwise, it looks the same, so I don't really see the point.  I guess everyone has their priorities.  🙂

Message 19 of 62
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll be keeping an eye on threads about this issue and adding those I see. We do apologize for any inconvenience this is causing. I know it will take more time but starting a brand new listing should help get around any errors while we're having this addressed.

We shouldn't have to start over from scratch in order to solve this problem with the photos.  Sorry, I  am pretty cranky about this issue with the pictures AND catalog changes.  

Message 20 of 62
latest reply

I agree it is ridiculous to have to start from scratch. I have tried sell similair approach and that does not work. I even tried from scratch and that does not work. The book is in the catalog when you insert the isbn, you choose it, complete all the listing info, and it still rejects it saying you cant list it in this catagory. its a mess.

Message 21 of 62
latest reply

I just attempted to re-list 20 books. Of those, 5 have dropped photos so I have to go get the books and add photos. This is SUCH a time sink. Really unacceptable!!

Message 22 of 62
latest reply

Sell Similar resulted in SAME- could not use that category

Message 23 of 62
latest reply

Has anyone seen any improvement in this?  I'm still getting the random 'incorrect category' message when I try to revise a book listing.  There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it anymore, just a random book here and there. 

Message 24 of 62
latest reply

I would almost bet that this problem started when that new large bookseller dumped hundreds of thousands of books with no photos or anything into the cookbook category when they started. That probably changed ebay's (il)logic on which category any book listed should go.

Makes sense to me, because of my problems with turbolister.  It won't recognize any nonfiction book ISBNs unless they are cookbooks.  I can only list nonfiction online, unless turbolister can find the ISBN in textbooks. 

I wonder if the latest book dumps from the mega sellers are related to the fee change at Amazon?  I've noticed that the penny books are disappearing there, and my sales have had an uptick.

Message 26 of 62
latest reply

I've given up re-listing my books and the messed up catalog is part of the problem.

As for scans what I did was put the book in the scanner s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y off-kilter. Then when I crop leave a healthy margin. Presto does not look like the stock photo.
I also stated, when applicable, "photos of actual book you will receive, not stock photos". 

Also - correct me if I'm wrong - my understanding was stock photos were for new unused books?

@thebookmaven-half wrote:

Just curious, do you actually photograph your book?  I just scan the cover, which is a lot easier, quicker, and can give better detail.  It's still a pain when your book is in very good or better condition and looks just like the stock picture

awesome-altered-apparel, check out my listings!
Message 27 of 62
latest reply

That makes sense.  I'm always so careful to get the book on the scanner just right.  Maybe I should go with less effort! 

Message 28 of 62
latest reply

@thebookmaven-half wrote:

I wonder if the latest book dumps from the mega sellers are related to the fee change at Amazon?  I've noticed that the penny books are disappearing there, and my sales have had an uptick.

The former penny books on Amazon now seem to mostly be $5.59 books with free shipping which is significally more than charged here. I have abandoned listing lower price books there due to the fee hike.  I am listing more of them on ebay only. 

I have another 5 books I have to pull and photograph before I can re-list. This is an epic fail on ebay's part.

Message 29 of 62
latest reply

I've noticed some books on AZ priced between $5-7 wtih free shipping.  There's still a bunch of low priced books ($1 or less) that I'm assuming are probably casual sellers that haven't had a sale yet under the new fee schedule.  The thing with AZ, is that they list books for sale in lowest price+shipping order, so free shipping doesn't really seem like an important factor for buyers.  IMHO

I've raised my prices on AZ by $1 across the board.  I make a little bit less per sale, and I'm evaluating whether to raise prices further.  I use AZ to list books that haven't sold here on ebay after a set period of time. So, the sales make me less money, but they're sales I wasn't getting on ebay. 

I do small uploads of listings (usually 2 at a time) here on ebay, so I guess I haven't been as impacted by the catalog glitches.  They just seem so random when they happen.  I had 1 this morning that I was able to work around.  It was for a lot of 2 books, and I changed to the ISBN of the 2nd book because I was getting the 'incorrect category' error for the 1st book.  (I list small lots of books under one of the ISBNs from the lot.  I think it helps with placement for commodity books. YMMV)

Message 30 of 62
latest reply