cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with combined shipping and tracking upload

I would like to hear comments on my ungoing problem regarding a combined shipping debacle. The customer bid on two items originally listed as First Class mail and 2 items originally listed as Priority Mail. I sent her a combined shipping invoice with the economy shipping option (Fedex Smart Post) or the Priority Mail option (flat rate box). The postage difference was over $6.00. She paid for the economy shipping and the order was mailed within the upload time frame. However, I received two late shipper defects for the Priority Mail items and no defects for the First Class mail items in the box. So apparently half the box arrived on time and the other half was late. When I contacted e-bay I got the usual runaround, that's the policy, etc. Today I spoke to a supervisor and she said that unless I have proof that the customer e-mailed me and told me specifically that she wanted the Fedex option, the defects can't be removed. I offer combined shipping all the time and I never had anyone contact me about their options. They simply pay for the option they want and I send it. My argument is that if she paid for the Fedex service, it is implied consent for me to use it. I also have a copy of the invoice I sent clearly showing the 4 items with the two options offered. They say that that is not proof. However, if she paid the correct amount off the combined invoice, what more proof do they need? Any ideas?

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@dehcraft77nr

Has the buyer left feedback yet?

There are 3 prongs that can all make it "on-time"

1) Actual Acceptance Scan within your stated handling time.

2) Delivery Scan within the estimate delivery date timeframe.

3) Buyer selects to leave feedback and answers the question for on time (regardless of what the scans were or were not)

On Time.JPG

There still may be a shot if they haven't left feedback yet. 

The on-time metric has to be 97% to maintain TRS status.  It's a 12 month eval.  You can't fall Below Standard regardless of how low it goes, but you can lose TRS.  They can limit what shipping/handling time you can list.

Even if you stopped selling for 6 months, you'd likely still be fine.  Think about it - 3 out of every 100 won't hurt you.  How many transactions have you had in the past calendar year? 

- Suzanne -

View Best Answer in original post

Message 21 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

It's not to do with the shipping options, it sounds more like you failed to manually add tracking to some of the combined shipment listings.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 2 of 60
latest reply

@dehcraft77nr wrote:

I would like to hear comments on my ungoing problem regarding a combined shipping debacle. The customer bid on two items originally listed as First Class mail and 2 items originally listed as Priority Mail. I sent her a combined shipping invoice with the economy shipping option (Fedex Smart Post) or the Priority Mail option (flat rate box). The postage difference was over $6.00. She paid for the economy shipping and the order was mailed within the upload time frame. However, I received two late shipper defects for the Priority Mail items and no defects for the First Class mail items in the box. So apparently half the box arrived on time and the other half was late. When I contacted e-bay I got the usual runaround, that's the policy, etc. Today I spoke to a supervisor and she said that unless I have proof that the customer e-mailed me and told me specifically that she wanted the Fedex option, the defects can't be removed. I offer combined shipping all the time and I never had anyone contact me about their options. They simply pay for the option they want and I send it. My argument is that if she paid for the Fedex service, it is implied consent for me to use it. I also have a copy of the invoice I sent clearly showing the 4 items with the two options offered. They say that that is not proof. However, if she paid the correct amount off the combined invoice, what more proof do they need? Any ideas?

Send them the copy of the payment email that shows the buyer selected Fed Ex StupidPost.

@ymeagainlord wrote:
It's not to do with the shipping options, it sounds more like you failed to manually add tracking to some of the combined shipment listings.

It sounds like ebay added them into the FC listins, but not the priority listings. Probably because StupidPost when it gets to USPS, only goes Parcel Select to the final destination(that and media is the only way once it hits USPS).

@dehcraft77nr wrote:

If you think you did nothing wrong call back and get another CSR.  So the items purchased were all finalized on the same day?  They were all shipped in the same sealed box?  Do you know if the defects were for delivery time on no tracking uploaded?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 5 of 60
latest reply

I don't understand why using fed ex would have anything to do with it if the package was scanned within your handling time. Do all 4 items show that a tracking number was uploaded?

Message 6 of 60
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don't understand why using fed ex would have anything to do with it if the package was scanned within your handling time. Do all 4 items show that a tracking number was uploaded?

As above: if you're combining all four items into one package, you still need to upload that same tracking number to each item's sale record. If you're printing your label on-line, you would have picked the Print Shipping Label on one item, and that would have automatically uploaded the tracking number for that item once the label was finished. You would still need to mark the other three as Shipped and upload that same tracking number for each, or else eBay would not necessarily know that they were all part of the same shipment.

I know that it has some capability of combining separate items into one purchase automatically, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the tracking info will get correctly propagated to each separate item listing, so you definitely want to check that all the blanks got properly filled in.

Message 7 of 60
latest reply

I agree.  Ifs likely that the tracking info wasn't uploaded for all items. I don't understand why cs would consider thst fed ex was an issue but then I don't understand why cs says half the stuff that they do.

Message 8 of 60
latest reply

@a_c_green If the Buyer uses Cart or Checkout and the sold items get grouped under one order doesn't the tracking get uploaded to ALL the items on the order?  That's how mine works.  As for shipping cost, I have had to adjust shipping from say 1st clas to Pirority it a multiple item order exceeds the 1st class weight cap.  I adjust the shipping cost on an invoice back to the customer or refund if they have already paid.

Regards,
Message 9 of 60
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@a_c_green If the Buyer uses Cart or Checkout and the sold items get grouped under one order doesn't the tracking get uploaded to ALL the items on the order?

Well, the OP said that they invoiced the customer, so the buyer would have been paying an invoice rather than a cart or checkout... although I agree that a combined invoice should then update all the items on it. Can't say for certain exactly what happened in this case; I can only suggest backtracking to ensure that each item's line-item listing on the My eBay page is now showing a tracking number.

Message 10 of 60
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@a_c_green If the Buyer uses Cart or Checkout and the sold items get grouped under one order doesn't the tracking get uploaded to ALL the items on the order?

Well, the OP said that they invoiced the customer, so the buyer would have been paying an invoice rather than a cart or checkout... although I agree that a combined invoice should then update all the items on it. Can't say for certain exactly what happened in this case; I can only suggest backtracking to ensure that each item's line-item listing on the My eBay page is now showing a tracking number.

Yes, the original post was a little confusing to follow, I did ask previsouly if all the items ended at the same time (to me "bid on" is an Auction opposed to "purchased" ala BIN).  Anyway, I had to chuckle coming back to this one, how often does a Post go up and get a good reply from numerous members only to have the OP go dogo for a while?  I am sure this is not the OP's first time but the first question I every asked here it took me two days to find it again and reply to those who responded!!!!

Regards,
Message 11 of 60
latest reply

Hi, yes the defects were for the delivery time of the Priority mail items, which are shorter than First Class. But when I explain that these items did NOT go Priority Mail, that is the problem, They say that the customer expected a Priority Mail timeline even though she only paid for the Fedex option, so even though I have evidence on the invoice that she chose the Fedex economy option, it was up to her to e-mail me and tell me she wanted the Fedex option, and it was up to me to e-mail her and tell her that it would take a couple of days longer. This is the only proof they say is acceptable. If I had to do that every time I combined shipping, I would be spending a lot of time e-mailing and hoping for quick responses so I could get the package out in time. The tracking and uploading is verified for the package, which was delivered in 5 business days. They say that is too long for Priority Mail, but hey IT WAS NOT SENT PRIORITY MAIL!!

Message 12 of 60
latest reply

Actually, the tracking was uploaded for all the items with no problem. The problem is that two of the items carry the First Class mail option which was in the original listing, and two of the items carry the Priority Mail option which was in the original listing. I you look at the order details page for all items, it clearly shows that Fedex Smart Post service was used for all items, and all have the same tracking number and tracking details. E-bay does not question that the tracking was uploaded for each item; what they say is that the First Class items were shipped on time but the Priority Mail items were late shipped because I did not specifically ask the customer if she wanted the economy service, and she did not e-mail me and tell me she wanted the service. I have an invoice, it shows all four items, it offers a choice of economy and Priority service, and she chose the economy service. This should be adequate proof, but they say it isn't. This is the frustration I have experienced all day. 

Message 13 of 60
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:
I had to chuckle coming back to this one, how often does a Post go up and get a good reply from numerous members only to have the OP go dogo for a while?

More often than I'd care to think about. Smiley Happy I remember one very active responder (who shall remain nameless) over in the Answer Center who went absolutely bonkers over that. He was convinced that they were posting a question just for the purpose of running away afterward and never looking at his well-reasoned and erudite answer. He just couldn't grasp the fact that not everyone in this world says Please and Thank You; some folks just take the answer and move on without responding further. 

@mr_lincoln wrote:

I am sure this is not the OP's first time but the first question I ever asked here it took me two days to find it again and reply to those who responded!!!!

Well, we now have our little At-symbol paging thingy here: @dehcraft77nr -- so we can ping the OP if we think they're not going to find us again otherwise.
Message 14 of 60
latest reply

@dehcraft77nr "They say that the customer expected a Priority Mail timeline even though she only paid for the Fedex option" ... I would still try calling back and getting a different CSR ... the whole situation you described is NOT in the eBay Rules guide as to how to handle that situation nor any penalties for doing what you did and the phrase "customer expected a Priority mail timeline" is subjective.  Did the customer actually tell them that?  If the time difference were a week I can see the complaint but if it was 1 day PLUS you saved the customer $$ by giving them the choice to ship one of two ways to me that says you were trying to make the customer happy.  Unless I am missing something you are being done a disservice.

Regards,
Message 15 of 60
latest reply