eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: POOR 2013 Sales down overall. WHY ???

in reply to tinytina123

tinytina123 wrote:

Many of the U.S. buyers have stopped buying cheap items form other countries. Also shipping has doubled. For many it will get worse over time.

Yes, the Chinese sellers and TRUS are feeling the pinch just like the remaining small sellers who haven't gotten the axe yet.

Please use plain text.
smntoys
Community Member

in reply to posting_id_only_2013

They must have figured this out by now also, but with all the money sunk into this I doubt it will ever be admitted. The problem? This much ballyhooed "Can't See Me" search engine is simply disfunctional. Search for something - anything - within the Ebay system and its "luck of the draw" what comes up. Change a word, abbreviate something, spell out a number, and a whole new search comes up. Use Google search to find what you want, and the Ebay Listing will show right at the top of the page, but click on it and what you wanted to see goes away and - BING! - you are right back lost in the "Can't See Me" Ebay search engine. If this was named "Alice in Wonderland", this would be the Rabbit Hole.

When buyers can't find your product, they can't buy your product. Here.

When you seek to buy a specifc item, but can't find it, you can't purchase it. Here.

The same google searches produce direct links to the actual items on competitive websites, and I believe that is where many of our customers are going.

It's as simple as that.

Please use plain text.
freedomfifty2k
Community Member

Same here, worst sales ever.

In the past 3 months, I have seen my numbers drop week after week.

But it is not all that bad. I have noticed some growth.

Listings without views GROWING

Listings with only one bid GROWING

Buyers trying to scam or trying to blackmail with negative feedbacks GROWING

and my best GROWTH is with Bidders not paying their invoice, this has double in past 3 months  

Please use plain text.
rmge
Community Member

in reply to universalproaudio

The answer is pretty simple, universal.  There are almost 220,000,000 listings on the site today.  Yes, there is back-to-school and weather is too hot and economy not good and the site went down several hours, but basically the overwhelming number of listings and the underwhelming number of buyers are the problem.  eBay favors the big brand megasellers and gives them top placement in search at all times.  Other sellers must wait their turn to get that kind of placement for a short time.  

Also, viewing your listings, there are only 3 items showing and two items are very expensive items so the reason there might be the economy.  When I google the title of your listing, several organs show up, one of which is selling for almost $400 less than yours (and has a picture showing on google) for the same item. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I'm also a 16 year veteran power seller and have never seen it this bad.  I think this economy has people scared to spend on anything but the essentials.  I'm dumping and hoping to at least break even.  I'm also hoping for some uptick in the fall,

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Usually the people complaining about slow sales or non-existant sales are the ones selling useless chotchkies or are selling in the oversaturated categories of used clothes and fake gold jewelry.  How would anyone find your "cute red sweater" or "adorable gold charm" amongst the other 1/2 million similar items.

I sell quality used tools, some at a fraction of what someone would pay when the white truck comes to town.  Even in a bad economy, the trades is still working, doing side jobs and need to replace or add tools and save some money.  While the prices I get have come down quite a bit from what I used to get, I have adapted with what I buy, and how I buy it.  And what I sell and how I sell it.  I used to be about 50% tools and the rest toys and collectibles and video games.  Now I'm about 90% tools.  Selling more bulk lots or groups of items to reduce the shipping costs (flat rate boxes are my best friend)  I currently have a bulk lot up for auction that weighs 30+ pounds and I can ship for $12.85 (or thereabouts) Medium Flat Rate box.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have been selling since 2001 and Ebay is now the most horrible place to sell.  Sales stink, placement of your auctions stink, The fee structure stinks and it only keeps getting worse.  For example something that would have sold for $15 to $20 in 2008 now goes for .99 to MAYBE $2.  Many of the sellers in my category have also dissapeared.  Ebay dramatically changed in 2007 and kept the changes going and all the changes killed the business.  The best match search killed sales. Ebay raised fees and fee structures and diversified to compensate for the loss.  I have had many people ask about selling on ebay and I ALWAYS steer them clear of selling here.  Also those I hear about tring Ebay for the first time tell of nightmares just tring to list a simple item or the product line you have for sale.  Nowadays something I sold for $10+ I can't get rid of for .99.  I am sure some of it is the economy BUT sellers have abandoned ebay and buyers know that and do not even try to come to Ebay anymore to buy.  Myself included.  I do not buy here anymore because you never find what I want anymore and if I do find it it is more than what I can get elsewhere.  Used to be you could find anything on ebay.  I am selling out my inventory and will only sell a few items I know make money - just as a hobby.  It is no more a business - powerseller retiring.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Those who hide who they are with a posting ID are smart. Many sellers have been sabotaged by using their real ID's on these boards.

They are a 16 year veteran, I hardly think they need any advice!

Please use plain text.
bargainbasementms
Community Member

I miss the good old days of Bing Cashback. Those were my glory days. Bing Cashback would go to 30%, I would raise my prices 30-50%, and sell twice as much! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
gotta-get-stuff
Community Member

I have been on ebay since before it was named ebay :smileywink: as both a buyer and a seller. The #1 main reason that sales are down more than normal in whichever selling/buying season it is(the time of year, etc.) is SEARCH SUCKS. Knowing that something like search should be KISS'ed, what ebay has done is make things so complicated you can't find what you search for. If I put in a word, I want THAT WORD to come up-not thousands of things unrelated to what I searched for and that I don't want. I'm not stupid, but have to honestly say that ebay is one of the last places I look for things anymore because it's hard to find exactly what you are looking for.

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
eBay's "search" engine is like having a gorgeous million dollar car in the driveway and no engine under the hood.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

gotta-get-stuff wrote:

I have been on ebay since before it was named ebay :smileywink: as both a buyer and a seller. The #1 main reason that sales are down more than normal in whichever selling/buying season it is(the time of year, etc.) is SEARCH SUCKS. Knowing that something like search should be KISS'ed, what ebay has done is make things so complicated you can't find what you search for. If I put in a word, I want THAT WORD to come up-not thousands of things unrelated to what I searched for and that I don't want. I'm not stupid, but have to honestly say that ebay is one of the last places I look for things anymore because it's hard to find exactly what you are looking for.

It may just be a seasonal ebay glitch.

Please use plain text.
moltencore
Community Member

4a$or2 wrote:

Usually the people complaining about slow sales or non-existant sales are the ones selling useless chotchkies or are selling in the oversaturated categories of used clothes and fake gold jewelry.  How would anyone find your "cute red sweater" or "adorable gold charm" amongst the other 1/2 million similar items.

I sell quality used tools, some at a fraction of what someone would pay when the white truck comes to town.  Even in a bad economy, the trades is still working, doing side jobs and need to replace or add tools and save some money.  While the prices I get have come down quite a bit from what I used to get, I have adapted with what I buy, and how I buy it.  And what I sell and how I sell it.  I used to be about 50% tools and the rest toys and collectibles and video games.  Now I'm about 90% tools.  Selling more bulk lots or groups of items to reduce the shipping costs (flat rate boxes are my best friend)  I currently have a bulk lot up for auction that weighs 30+ pounds and I can ship for $12.85 (or thereabouts) Medium Flat Rate box.

Guess I sell useless Tchotchkes then.

For many YEARS here on eBay, I used to sell on average $750-$1,000 worth of these useless Tchotchkes every week. Now I'm 'lucky' if I sell $750 PER MONTH here on eBay! 

Every month it appears to get worse.

Funny how they seem to be 'useless' here but still in demand on other sites. The continuing slow death of eBay?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Absolutely...

Not sure HOW much you buy, but making $100/daily is NOT a bad income... so be happy... VERY happy, most will offer sympathy for your condition... in reality, the answer is BUY LESS, sell MORE... which is what the country is doing these days as workers see costs rising for GAS, living, food, cars, etc... 

Personally,  after 15+ online sales,,,mostly cameras/electronics...on ebay///.

have gone from 3-5 sold items per day to ONE or two items every week or two!! now , I am seeing some of the reasons...

re: cameras.. DIGITAL has now buried film, particularly at the 35mm size... the BIG GUNS [800 Camera Stores, like B&H, Adorama, etc] are now actively advertising EVERYWHERE full page ads getting anyone they can to SEND them their vintage gear FOR CASH or trade in... they even OFFER "so-called" online quotes...BUT  .. of course, this is a BIG CON COME ON [most times!]... once you send IN your quality gear, THEY state.. it is NOT in the condition stated and REDUCE the value MOST CERTAINLY ON THE CASH SIDE, and maybe SOME on the TRADE IN VALUE... [ making it up by SELLING the NEW or USED product in THEIR inventory higher as needed]... similar to a  Car Dealership or Used Car Lot does on a trade in... IF they give you more, the selling price is adjusted... THEY are not going to take a loss....

here is WHY camera prices have plummeted ...

The Big Guns take their ill-gotten VINTAGE GEAR & flood the EBAY market with VINTAGE gear for EXTREMELY LOW PRICES & extened warranties & FREE shipping!!!  Individuals can NOT compete with this, EXCEPT provide EVEN LOWER PRICES TO sell no matter what!!!  now,  I realize it is NOT ilegal ... just Supply and Demand on steroids ... affecting the small sellers [individuals] who are hardpressed to locate quality vintage cameras/electronics daily.... essentially this the SAME as BIG GOVT making it impossible for the individual to deal with anyone else, EXCEPT them... in my example... YOU , as an individual have little choice.. SELL TO THE BIG GUNS & at least get SOMETHING worth rebuying [at their prices] or list on ebay and loose most of your investment!! 

Bottome line... BUYING/SELLING is changing as we speak... consumers carry smart phones everywhere, even when shopping at the discount stores... who can blame them?  Big Govt and Big stores force consumers to compete with each other more... 

Please use plain text.
1st-oliveoyl
Community Member

One word: Cassini.

Please use plain text.
uppercutknives
Community Member

in reply to oh4sure

oh4sure wrote:

Posting ID.... 

I have been doing this for almost 14 years.  I have never really been full-time at this.  However my sales are through the roof.  Have been for over a year and a half.  Had a $17,000 month in February.  Averaging about $15k a month.  I am a top rated, gold level power seller. 

My profit margins are huge.  When you buy something for $4.00 and it sells for $250, you make money.  Most of what I sell I pay less than $2.00 for but depending on what it is, it can sell for $100+.  Average selling price is about $40 for a $2.00 item.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would be interested in knowing what type items you are selling. Are they new wholesale items or hand picked collectables from auctions, estates and garage sales. The profit margin you state is extremely high and your monthly sales would indicate you must be either selling high dollar items or the volume is such that you are buying collectables by the cargo container full.

I'm not looking for your trade secret, but some insight could prove helpful.

Thanks,
Please use plain text.
uppercutknives
Community Member

in reply to finet

finet wrote:

@ inuk_the_polar_bear

By your silly comments you appear to be more of an eBay shill who works for ebay rather than a legitimate seller.
You have no items for sale and are saying things that are simple untrue.

Most sellers have seen their sales plummeting and there is a strong sense that it has to do more with eBay's server issues, changing the search engine and dropping Google search more than anything else.

Inuk you seem to be simply an instigator here to belittle people and make snide remarks.  So here I am bash me and tell me my comments are silly and that I'm a shill and a liar.  Posting ID Only 2013 - AKA - Uppercut Knives. 

By the way shill bidding is illegal on ebay and anyone doing so won't last 16 years.

So do take a look at my listings, go back and take a look at my history, look at my power seller status, look at my 99.9% positive feedback, be sure to take an hour and read the feedback and see how I take care of my customers.

THEN .... come back with something positive that this forum can use to help the ones who are struggling.  Or just go away.

PS. Used car parts is only a decent business because of the economical needs of people struggling to make ends meet by keeping their cars running on used parts.  So were all happy that you can prance around the boards and brag about how good your business is and how well you are doing. Fortunatly yours is one of the few businesses that are flourishing.

Don't judge les ye be judged. 

Uppercut Knives - This is my selling ID.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I shop at amazon all the time now. prime member two day shipping always for free. You should try to sell there
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to netpad

EBay just restricted my selling because they supposedly linked me to the activity of another account, namely my ex-husband's. Online chat just gave me clichéd lines and a link and ended the chat abruptly.

I ended the item and listed it on amazon.co.uk Marketplace.

netpad wrote:
I shop at amazon all the time now. prime member two day shipping always for free. You should try to sell there

I'll by more on there too as they are now excellent for accessories.

Am I mad or do I get the feeling eBay is not listening to customers, has become a nameless bureaucracy and is insensitive to loyal customers from both the buying and selling segments?

Please use plain text.
tanteethtone
Community Member

in reply to billybaloo97

In the last 2 weeks my sales have dropped dramatically (over 2 days) from 40-50 items a day to 10-15.

eBay tell me there is no reason this should be happening and must be because of "school starting again" and "maybe more people are selling your items at lower prices".

This is my main income and has just been slashed to the point where I can't survive on it, I wasn't even a small seller really at 50 sales a day!!

Will keep you posted on whether anything changes.

Please use plain text.