cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other Sellers inflating sale price of my products

I noticed several sellers buying items from me and reselling them on e-bay. They are using my pictures, and written materials. And they are selling the item at double the price!  

My goal is to provide my items at a reasonable price and not inflate prices!!

I can have all my labels carry a - Not for Resale- tag as I have not authorized distribution to aby of these sellers.

I am also concerned about counterfeits that could be infringing my trademark and copyright.

What are my options?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
4 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

And watermark all your photos with your eBay username

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Perhaps you are not charging enough for your products. If people are buying from you and selling at higher prices then you could be selling yourself short.

Also never make the mistake of stating your goal of selling at reasonable prices and not inflating those prices and then assuming that everyone has or even should have the same outlook. Once you sell something, it is no longer yours. It belongs to someone else and they can do with it as they please. 

Yes you can mark your products as not for resale, but chances are your buyers will ignore that or they will stop buying from you. Have you thought about raising your prices or taking your items to the next level. Obviously if your buyers are interested in reselling your items they must be interested in your products and like your products. Perhaps you should start thinking on a larger scale and beyond petty stuff like this and embrace this as a great opportunity. 

Try to see the bigger picture here. You are producing something that is desired. Try to capitalize on that rather than obsessing over something foolish.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

trademark and copyright.

Is this something you created and own the trademark and coprights to?

If so become a VERO member.

Then you would have the authority to tell ebay to take them down.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

You are selling fixed price. If someone buys and gives you the price YOU chose, why does it matter what they do with it? I would think you would be happy to have sales at the price you set.

Them copying and using your pictures and texts is not acceptable however.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

1) Double your prices

2) Forget the not-for-resale attempts.. Once they've recieved the item(s) they paid for, they Own them and have resale rights.

Lynn

Lynn

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

And watermark all your photos with your eBay username

Lynn

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Perhaps you are not charging enough for your products. If people are buying from you and selling at higher prices then you could be selling yourself short.

Also never make the mistake of stating your goal of selling at reasonable prices and not inflating those prices and then assuming that everyone has or even should have the same outlook. Once you sell something, it is no longer yours. It belongs to someone else and they can do with it as they please. 

Yes you can mark your products as not for resale, but chances are your buyers will ignore that or they will stop buying from you. Have you thought about raising your prices or taking your items to the next level. Obviously if your buyers are interested in reselling your items they must be interested in your products and like your products. Perhaps you should start thinking on a larger scale and beyond petty stuff like this and embrace this as a great opportunity. 

Try to see the bigger picture here. You are producing something that is desired. Try to capitalize on that rather than obsessing over something foolish.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

trademark and copyright.

Is this something you created and own the trademark and coprights to?

If so become a VERO member.

Then you would have the authority to tell ebay to take them down.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

You are selling fixed price. If someone buys and gives you the price YOU chose, why does it matter what they do with it? I would think you would be happy to have sales at the price you set.

Them copying and using your pictures and texts is not acceptable however.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@dooglearts wrote:

Not a good business model.

Why don't you just give your products away for free then no one will buy the competitors product?

As far as the not-for-resale attempt, that is against the law, I suggest you read the first-sale doctrine.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@phcd1 wrote:

@dooglearts wrote:

Not a good business model.

Why don't you just give your products away for free then no one will buy the competitors product?

As far as the not-for-resale attempt, that is against the law, I suggest you read the first-sale doctrine.

SAY WHAT?

If the seller is making the profit they want at the price they set ,how in the world can you say that is NOT a good business model? Is a good business model GOUGING buyers? I love how some come on here saying you have a lousy business model,or you need to change your business model.. makes me think some do NOT even know what a business model is?

OP as to the resale  of your product,if as stated before if you are getting what you want for your product, I would NOT worry about it being resold for more,makes your prices look even better,the use of your pics is another story,but unfortunately ebay does little to curb or even discourage others from using your pics...

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

If the product that you sell is manufactured by you, you may be able to patent the item.  Is the item your creation?

The use of your photos & description is, I believe, a reportable offense.

With regard to people purchasing your product from you and selling it at a higher price, there is nothing remotely wrong with that.  You are obviously charging way too little for your product if other sellers can find buyers that are willing to pay double what you are charging.

Your plan to limit the distribution of your product is fine, except that it could only be enforced among those with whom you have a contractual agreement pertaining to the distribution of your product. However, any purchaser that is not a party to a distributor agreement with you would still be allowed to re-sell their property for whatever price they wish.

You might wish to consult a patent attorney regarding applying for a patent if you have not already done so.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Did you make these products.

You state a high retail price then price them much cheaper.

If people are willing to pay more then up your prices or dont complain when people resell them for the retail price.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

I might raise my prices just a little.....or not, depending if the product could handle it.  With some sellers listing the exact same thing at not a high enough price to buy from you and cover the costs of reselling it, are you sure some of them aren't using you as a drop shipper?.

I don't see the problem  those other sellers should help your sales. As stated above another sellers has you skinny mint teatox priced at $10 higher BUT checking sold you are the ONLY seller to have sold that exact product.... anyone can list anything at any price doesn't mean it will sell... but at his price he may only have to sell 1 to your 5 or 10 to receive the same profit.

your price                      competitor price

Skinny mint teatox                     19.99                               21 - 30                                 

Skinny mint TT Bags                  9.99                                none

Coffee coconut scrub                 8.99                                none

Mommy Tea                                 9.99                                 none

Be Happy Tea                              5.99                                none

Skinny life tea                             14.99                                none

so out of the items you have listed one product has a few sellers buying it and trying to resell it, or drop shipping it, and your item is the only one in sold history..... doesn't seem to be that big a problem.... is there another product not listed you are having problems with or something I missed?

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

My 0.02, but every business has to have their approach and in your case, if your overhead is low and your cost to acquire is low and your sourcing ongoing, then what's wrong with focusing on making your profit by turning your inventory quickly?  If that means resellers can flip your goods - then that's a win-win, imo as long as the margin works for you. There's more than one way to maximize your **total** business profit - and that's not always focusing on squeezing the most profit from every transaction at the cost of unit movement.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@dooglearts wrote:

I noticed several sellers buying items from me and reselling them on e-bay. They are using my pictures, and written materials.

The part in red is the ONLY thing your competitors are doing wrong. And that's only if you opted out of having your items included in ebay's catalog. If you weren't pro-active and didn't opt out, even stealing your pictures and description isn't a violation.

I don't know whether this reporting tool still works:

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUs&wftype=2029&rcode=VE%25X00135&subject=Report%20li...

Otherwise, apply as VeRO and report the infringing listings:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/programs-vero-ov.html

Here's the policy:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/image-text.html

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@dooglearts wrote:

I noticed several sellers buying items from me and reselling them on e-bay. They are using my pictures, and written materials. And they are selling the item at double the price!  

I can have all my labels carry a - Not for Resale- tag as I have not authorized distribution to aby of these sellers.

I am also concerned about counterfeits that could be infringing my trademark and copyright.

What are my options?

You make your own products?  Why not start offering wholesale pricing branded to a seller's name?

For years I made and sold candles and soaps. I sold under my own brand and I also offered wholesale pricing to others (at a price that I made a good profit from) and they were branded to a particular seller/business, who was free to price however they wished.

I made a nice profit,  they made a nice profit and it kept me very busy 🙂

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

If the product that you sell is manufactured by you, you may be able to patent the item.  Is the item your creation?

Your plan to limit the distribution of your product is fine, except that it could only be enforced among those with whom you have a contractual agreement pertaining to the distribution of your product. However, any purchaser that is not a party to a distributor agreement with you would still be allowed to re-sell their property for whatever price they wish.

You might wish to consult a patent attorney regarding applying for a patent if you have not already done so.

And since the OP's biggest complaint is that others are buying from her to resell, a patent would only be a huge waste of money, as a patent would only prevent people from duplicating the items to resell, not reselling what they already legally bought.  Granted, you already covered that mostly in your response, but I felt it important to point out that getting a patent would be a huge expense that would most likely have very little return on investment due to the OP not having a problem with other sellers duplicating the product.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 15 of 21
latest reply