Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Opting out of the Global Shipping Program

Opting out of the Global Shipping Program

abunchoffun
Pathfinder

Some how I got opted in. Not sure how, but I need out quickly.

It just showed up the beginning of this week. I've never offered international shipping and now all the sudden I've gotten multiple international orders.

Some how the program was applied to all my existed listings.

Message 1 of 152
151 REPLIES

Re: Opting out of the Global Shipping Program

in reply to Nov 14, 2012 7:07:28 AM
marnotom!
Guide

If you've been browsing through the other threads on the Global Shipping Program while waiting for a response to your question, you'll have, I hope, concluded that this is a new venture for eBay and like most of eBay's new ventures, glitches will abound.

As well, we're just trying to figure out the nuts and bolts of it ourselves.

I would suggest you contact eBay customer service and get back to us if you find out what's going on so we can inform others with similar problems.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 152

in reply to Nov 14, 2012 7:30:10 AM

In the mean time, you can bulk edit your listings and under

International Shipping >Global Shipping>Remove All

Message 3 of 152

in reply to Nov 14, 2012 8:38:42 AM
abunchoffun
Pathfinder

Called and they told me bulk editing is the only option for opting out at this point.

I have a lot of listings. Even slow as Christmas bulk editing takes forever.

Oh well.

Message 4 of 152

in reply to Nov 14, 2012 8:54:02 AM

It's strange, I got the link to opt in but there were no changes to my listings & I'm able to specify Global Shipping on a listing by listing basis.

Perhaps the thinking was "larger sellers will want a piece of this" while they left the small sellers alone?

Regardless, I'd be upset if my listing were changed without my permission.

I use Turbolister and wonder if it has anything to do with the way sellers list?

Message 5 of 152

in reply to Nov 14, 2012 8:56:06 AM

One other thing that comes to mind. I list mainly in categories excluded from Global Shipping.

Still not a nice thing to do to you. 

Message 6 of 152

in reply to Nov 14, 2012 3:35:34 PM
erictere1
Enthusiast

go to edit your listings and change global shipping to remove from all.

Message 7 of 152

in reply to Nov 15, 2012 10:20:58 PM
janewt-1
Trailblazer

Even if you wanted in, the numbers they give are silly.

One item that sells for $19.99 shows estimated import fees even though that amount is below the minimum for either country I looked at and should have been zero.

Amazing that you are getting any international interest at all.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Message 8 of 152
5100065899_int-0.jpg

in reply to Nov 16, 2012 7:41:53 AM
marnotom!
Guide

Even if you wanted in, the numbers they give are silly.

One item that sells for $19.99 shows estimated import fees even though that amount is below the minimum for either country I looked at and should have been zero.

Just because no taxes are due on the item doesn't mean that the item doesn't have to "clear customs".  Some processing still has to be done on a tax/duty-free item and whoever's doing it on Pittney-Bowes' behalf isn't going to do it out of the goodness of their heart.

I think it was pointed out in another thread that the "import charges" to Australia don't change on higher-value items due to Australia's very generous tax-free limit for imports.

Message 9 of 152

in reply to Nov 16, 2012 8:35:22 AM
wysteria
Adventurer

Same thing has happened to me, I do not recall opting in to this Global Shipping program.  I was on the phone yesterday with customer service and they could not explain how this happened.  I list through Auctiva and now all of my new listings that are posted to Ebay have the box automatically checked. 

Message 10 of 152

in reply to Nov 16, 2012 1:25:16 PM
twohelmets
Thrill-Seeker

Just because no taxes are due on the item doesn't mean that the item doesn't have to "clear customs".  Some processing still has to be done on a tax/duty-free item and whoever's doing it on Pittney-Bowes' behalf isn't going to do it out of the goodness of their heart.

No fees of any kind are normally due on an item that is below the taxable limit, in the EU at least.

Message 11 of 152

in reply to Nov 16, 2012 3:18:55 PM

No fees of any kind are normally due on an item that is below the taxable limit, in the EU at least.

In the examples we've looked at s far, the processing fee  appears to be $5.86.

Doesn't look to be a good deal in items that can ship First Class but looks like it can be a good deal over USPS Priority Mail shipping.

Message 12 of 152

in reply to Nov 16, 2012 7:30:44 PM
plumriver24
Adventurer

You can edit anytime you like, but you can never leave. Welcome to the Hotel California.

Message 13 of 152

in reply to Nov 17, 2012 8:28:31 PM
uvmmmdu
Trailblazer

Same here, I have no international for all books and suddenly I am opted in and I even hid the monster (last month) when I saw it so I wouldn't accidently opt in, but guess what, it wasn't an "opt"ion it was a here you go, you got it anyway, like it or not! I checked in my settings and saw I had it and vcalled ebay to OPT OUT OF GLOBAL SHIPPING and when I said I list thru Auctiva they said contact them but in Auctiva my preferences are set to use ebays preferences, WHAT A MESS. Then ebay says there doesn't seem to be a way to opt out DUHHHHH, in ebay preferences it is not able to be "removed" So for now all you can do is go into each listing and remove it (they suggested this tedious waste of my time process) or go into bulk edit and quickly remove the global shipping option there..... This mess is NO INCENTIVE to list if I have to spend more time undoing something that I NEVER Opted in for from the start. Now if only someone from ebay would actually read theses boards an fix the problem so many of us can start listing and making them money again lol

Message 14 of 152

in reply to Nov 17, 2012 9:01:21 PM

No offense but isn't Auctiva a third party application?

On-line listing & Turbolister work fine - Global Shipping is an option I can select on a listing by listing basis. There is no switch to automatically apply it to all listings.

I'm more that willing to find fault with eBay when it's due but in this case it seems to me that the third party application needs fixing, not eBay; otherwise it's the tail wagging the dog.

Message 15 of 152

in reply to Nov 17, 2012 9:23:53 PM
uvmmmdu
Trailblazer

Actually these were showing up when I used ebay for listings before Auctiva, I use both, so as I told ebay, can't put the blame on Auctiva. There was a 3 day special to list with ebay 14, 15, 16  that is what I was using when I noticed I had to keep fixing items, today I was using Auctiva and I told ebay that but they jumped to it being Auctiva until I explained my preferences in there are only set to ebays anyway and earlier in the week I was not even using Auctiva at all when I 1st noticed the problem..

Message 16 of 152

in reply to Nov 17, 2012 9:37:54 PM
uvmmmdu
Trailblazer

I have never used turbo lister and if on-line you mean listing directly with ebay (which is what I was doing when I 1st found I was having to uncheck global in each listing, thats how I knew something was changed).

I have read much of the board postings and many are having the same issue, 3rd party or not. If anything it seems that many people posting have noted that if they have do not ship international in their preferences selected they are suddenly seeing they have been opted in by ebay to the global shipping program. As one noted on a board in here they were editing a price of an item (not shipping related) and got a thank you for opting in message. Theres a def. glitch that needs fixing.

Message 17 of 152

in reply to Nov 17, 2012 10:49:20 PM
janewt-1
Trailblazer

That was sort of my point.

$19.99 US = £12.60 UK (roughly) and will not incur any import fees into the UK since their lower limit is £15 (a bit over $23 USD).  And yet, the buyer may have to pay using this Global scheme.

The AUS lower limit is $1000 AUD or about $1034 USD so again, there should be a zero import fee to a buyer in Australia.  And yet, the buyer may have to pay using this Global scheme.

As a seller, that would make me unhappy.  As a buyer in one of those countries, it would make me absolutely livid.

As a seller, I try really hard to avoid livid buyers.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Message 18 of 152

in reply to Nov 17, 2012 10:56:18 PM

I just searched the discussion boards for GLOBAL SHIPPING & the MANY reports of it being set as a default seems to be three or four - all mention Auctiva.

I remain skeptical.

I'm not saying there isn't a serious problem, just that you shouldn't jump to conclusions & the indication is that the problem lies in the Auctiva implementation of the Global Shipping Program.

Message 19 of 152

in reply to Nov 17, 2012 11:01:59 PM
eekhorn1
Guide

In the examples we've looked at s far, the processing fee  appears to be $5.86.

Doesn't look to be a good deal in items that can ship First Class but looks like it can be a good deal over USPS Priority Mail shipping.

I'll just find the seller using first class. To be honest, it's as much on principle as avoiding the 5.86.

Message 20 of 152