cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non Payment on TIme Sensitive Eclipse Glasses

I have sole NASA approved eclipse glasses this week and have 2 buyers who have not paid.  The sale ended on Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017.  I have tried to contact both sellers several times.  I have sent each 3 invoices and 2 or 3 messages with no response from either one.  I have local people begging me so the glasses I have left .  Unless the unpaid buyers are willing to pay for priority shipping, they will probably not get the items in time even if I mailed them today.  How do I handle this?  I am holding off my local buyers until tomorrow.  Ebay has not been notified yet.  Should I notify eBay or just take my chances and sell what I have left to locals?  The ebay fees for the two together are $12.41.  Help

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Forgive my typos. How do I edit this thing?
Message 2 of 66
latest reply

No need to pester buyers with invoices and messages. Ebay sends an invoice at the end of the auction and a payment reminder at the 48hr mark.  Just file the unpaid item cases if you want the ebay fees back. If you sell the glasses locally before closing an unpaid item case, you run the risk of the buyers paying. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 66
latest reply

Call eBay, make sure that the CS understands that the items have NO VALUE after Monday, which doesn't leave time for an unpaid item report or the ability to ship them in time.  Get the CS agent to cancel the purchases while you are on the phone without penalty to you.  If the agent you get doesn't understand the timeframe issue, hang up and try again.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 4 of 66
latest reply

@alyaptiva wrote:
Forgive my typos. How do I edit this thing?

Click the options button in the top right corner of the post you want to edit. You only have 5 minutes to edit.

Message 5 of 66
latest reply

In my area, the fire departments are giving them out for free.

Message 6 of 66
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

Call eBay, make sure that the CS understands that the items have NO VALUE after Monday, which doesn't leave time for an unpaid item report or the ability to ship them in time.  Get the CS agent to cancel the purchases while you are on the phone without penalty to you.  If the agent you get doesn't understand the timeframe issue, hang up and try again.

There are ways to list time-sensitive items safely.  The OP chose not to use the tools available.  Why should eBay step in to clean up for a seller who made mistakes in their listings?

Message 7 of 66
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

There are ways to list time-sensitive items safely.  The OP chose not to use the tools available.  Why should eBay step in to clean up for a seller who made mistakes in their listings?

And since when can customer service even do this? The buyers didn't ask to cancel so what authority does customer service have to cancel the transactions in this situation without penalty to the seller? The seller tried to make a few bucks selling these last minute. Not CS's job to clean up after him.

Message 8 of 66
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

Yep - one good use for BIN/IPR, one day listing.

@dtexley3 wrote:

You can hang up and try again until the sun flames out 5 billion years from now. eBay isn't going to circumvent their timelines for the OP.

You've never done this, right? Why would you advise someone else to waste their time doing it?

Message 10 of 66
latest reply

@alyaptiva wrote:

I have sole NASA approved eclipse glasses this week and have 2 buyers who have not paid.  The sale ended on Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017.  I have tried to contact both sellers several times.  I have sent each 3 invoices and 2 or 3 messages with no response from either one.  I have local people begging me so the glasses I have left .  Unless the unpaid buyers are willing to pay for priority shipping, they will probably not get the items in time even if I mailed them today.  How do I handle this?  I am holding off my local buyers until tomorrow.  Ebay has not been notified yet.  Should I notify eBay or just take my chances and sell what I have left to locals?  The ebay fees for the two together are $12.41.  Help

You should have done a BIN with IPR. Actually, what you should have done is sell them locally. What's to stop an eBay buyer from using them Monday, then filing a SNAD on Tuesday?

BTW, did you buy these directly from American Paper Optics?

Message 11 of 66
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@alyaptiva wrote:

You should have done a BIN with IPR. Actually, what you should have done is sell them locally. What's to stop an eBay buyer from using them Monday, then filing a SNAD on Tuesday?

BTW, did you buy these directly from American Paper Optics?

They sure look light to me ....

Maybe there will be no SNAD's because no one can see their conputer ...

@d-k_treasures wrote:

I'd laugh, but I have a terrible feeling that thousands of people will suffer permanent vision loss on Monday.

Message 13 of 66
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@muttlymob wrote:
 ... There are ways to list time-sensitive items safely.  The OP chose not to use the tools available.  Why should eBay step in to clean up for a seller who made mistakes in their listings?

Yep - one good use for BIN/IPR, one day listing.

eBay hasn't offered 1-day duration for fixed price listings for quite some time.  

But BIN with IPR, and a timely ending of the listing early if necessary, would work great.

Message 14 of 66
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

I'd laugh, but I have a terrible feeling that thousands of people will suffer permanent vision loss on Monday.

Is it really that bad? I honestly haven't paid any attention to this eclipse stuff....don't know when it is but I'm assuming its this weekend based on this post? Don't know if we'll be able to see it in this part of California either and wasn't planning to watch but I guess we should stay inside when it happens???

Message 15 of 66
latest reply