cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative feedback

I was left negative feedback - after refunding a purchase/not shipping it because I found stains on the item.  DIdn't want an angry buyer.  Despite that, she left negative feedback.  To attempt to "please" her, I just sent her the item.  Free of charge.  Despite that, the negative feedback remains and I am not allowed to leave negative feedback for her.  She has failed to respond to any of my attempts to reach out and fix the situation.  I don't understand why there is what appears to be an anti-seller bias in some of ebay's practices.  It doesn't seem right that after YEARS of positive feedback, one negative comment can bring my overall percentage of feedback down so low.  

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Negative feedback

@speckles29 wrote:

I was left negative feedback - after refunding a purchase/not shipping it because I found stains on the item.  DIdn't want an angry buyer.  Despite that, she left negative feedback.  To attempt to "please" her, I just sent her the item.  Free of charge.  Despite that, the negative feedback remains and I am not allowed to leave negative feedback for her.  She has failed to respond to any of my attempts to reach out and fix the situation.  I don't understand why there is what appears to be an anti-seller bias in some of ebay's practices.  It doesn't seem right that after YEARS of positive feedback, one negative comment can bring my overall percentage of feedback down so low.  

OP,

I think your assumption that a buyer who does not recieve the item he bought should feel positive about a refund and a damaged item is flawed.

Lucky

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Negative feedback

So sorry that happened. Keep at it. Your titles need work. When you list something with a one word title, it's possible your heart isn't in it.

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

Negative feedback

You should have checked that shirt thoroughly before you listed it.

The buyer has the right to leave a negative because she was inconvenienced.

And sellers cannot leave buyers negative feedback.  but why would you as she did nothing wrong.

Your gripe is with ebay and their rating system, not this buyer who just wanted what she ordered and paid for.

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

Negative feedback

And it wasn't even a shirt.  Thanks for the wisdom and empathy.  

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

Negative feedback

The first one hurts, The second one is easier.

Give the buyer a couple of days and send them a request tochange their FB.

Be ready for rejection and be Happy if they upgrade IT. 

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

Negative feedback

Her feedback says you tried to charge her shipping on a free shipping listing. Is that true? Then you found stains and cancelled the sale? No wonder she's upset.

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

Negative feedback

What reason did you give ebay for refunding? You may have gotten a defect which is worse than a negative.

Why did the buyer say you tried to charge for shipping when it was listef free shipping?

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

Negative feedback

Ouch but I need to ask how did you cancel ? The reason?
There are 3 to pick from to cancel
Out of stock earns you a defect which counts against you unlike feedback which does not count against you.
Maybe after he/she gets the item & sees the stains they will reverse the feedback, but why does it say you tried to charge shipping ?

Edit to add off to the slow typing corner Ki bet me on the same topics!!!

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

Negative feedback

@cc_breadman wrote:

Why should the buyer be expected to change the feedback if what they said and the seller admitted to is true?

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

Negative feedback

@speckles29 wrote:

@speckles29

In my experience, the only chance you have of getting *that* FB removed (for the pants, about the shipping), is if you can prove that when you invoiced, which you would have to do to change the shipping from free to a cost, that the invoice had free shipping and the buyer is incorrect in her statement. (It's dicey still, but if someone told me I charged shipping when the shipping is free, this is what I would go to first to have it removed).

Next question... do you have calculated shipping? And if so, did she purchase with a phone? There is a known glitch that was discussed in this forum about people using the shipping calculator and the buyer thinking the shipping was free, then when they check out it charged. If in fact you sent NO INVOICE to the buyer, and eBay added a calculated shipping when the buyer checked out, then your proof is that you didn't add shipping, eBay did, as per your directions when you posted the listing.

But as I ask the questions in the previous paragraph, I went to look, and it does appear (on the web based portal) that the shipping is free. So this might be your error while listing or copying a listing with free shipping.

If you're ever in a situation again (or anyone else reading) where you find damage to an item after it sells (for any reason, one would hope it's minor damage or you'd notice when photographing, but you never know), in most cases... the sin-n-dex solution is send the item anyway, as promptly as possible, email the buyer an apology that there was something wrong, but you're sending it for FREE, including free shipping, and refund their money. Then when they get the damaged item they know you aren't lying and won't leave the neg thinking you were doing something... and you've apologized and refunded which you were going to do anyway. Look at it this way, if it's damaged, you likely can't sell it to anyone else anyway. This method depends on the value of the item and what it is... on my coins I often offer a partial refund if I discover a problem.

And as far as a buyer believing something and that a seller is lying... I blundered big on an auction six months ago and the buyer thought I didn't like the price and didn't want to sell it. I sent him the same coin (lesser grade) for free, and showed him the sold listing of what he bought so he could see the guy who bought it paid the same, and it really did sell. I also shipped his items for free. Free shipping is something I often offer when I make a mistake because my buyers sometimes buy because of combined shipping... refunding one item (and even a shipping discount) might not make up for the fact they may have really wanted that one item.

If you have been talking to the buyer about this at all.. maybe it might be helpful to share how that went? I won't advise you to try and contact them again pending on what you discussed with them so far. And maybe wait for the pants to arrive and then request the revision. If you did try to charge shipping, sincerely apologize for making that mistake (mistakes like this really do happen), and don't discuss the feedback with the buyer. Just send the revision. You will have to accept it if the above advice doesn't resolve your problem.

Good luck,

C.

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

Negative feedback

@speckles29 wrote:

You canceled the transaction and got negative feedback, you decided to send the item anyway, and you still have the negative. Do you really think it would be right to leave this buyer a negative, if you could? You made the choice to send them a stained item for free and they didn't jump for joy, how does that deserve a negative?

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

Negative feedback

@ki_korners wrote:

@cc_breadman wrote:

Why should the buyer be expected to change the feedback if what they said and the seller admitted to is true?

There is no reason to expect a revision, Where is that implied?

I don't see where seller admitted the charge for shipping, they canceled a sale for other reason.

IT never hurts to ask for a revision. Seller may not get one, that is why I posted.."Be ready for rejection and be Happy if they upgrade IT."

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

Negative feedback

@speckles29 wrote:

This is exactly why sellers are no longer allowed to leave negative or neutral feedback.   You cancelled the transaction.  You state it was because you found "stains" on the item.  The negative you rec'd states it was because you tried to charge shipping on a listing that stated "free shipping".

Either way you were wrong, but you want to retaliate by giving the buyer bad feedback.

You are the exact reason sellers can no longer do that.

I saw that...

~KARMA
Message 13 of 41
latest reply

Negative feedback

OP, this is exactly why I don't like to buy on ebay anymore.

You totally were at fault and expect the buyer  to leave a positive. Along with other boardies here that encourage you to bug the buyer to change his opinion of the transaction.

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

Negative feedback

@speckles29 wrote:

OP,

I think your assumption that a buyer who does not recieve the item he bought should feel positive about a refund and a damaged item is flawed.

Lucky

Message 15 of 41
latest reply