cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Feedback- Why? An Ebay Seller just doesn't get it

Well it happened. Unfounded feedback left for me by a 'Serial Negative Feedback Leaver' as I call them... It's very upsetting to me as a Seller who provides excellent customer service, great products, accurate photos/descriptions, fast shipping and offers returns for any reason. I've often wondered why a Buyer would leave hurtful feedback without getting in touch with the seller first. I am also an Ebay Buyer and have never left negative feedback. Have I just been very lucky to have never received anything that was not 'as described', broken, missing pieces or any other disappointing reason? No - all of these things have happened to me but I choose to get in touch with the seller each time and found that all of them were willing to work things out with me. Therefore in my humble opinion - no reason to leave negative feedback.  Back to my above question ' Why would someone do this without getting in touch with the seller first to hopefully work things out'?  What comes to mind first is sad but possibly true - They like to leave negative feedback. I'm no psychoanalyst, but I cant think of any other reason. Do they really feel that they were wronged? If that is the case - why not get in touch with the seller who wronged you!? Who knows, maybe they will actually make it right! I thought that my being detailed in my photos and descriptions, packaging well, shipping fast and offering returns on all items that I would never receive negative feedback. Why would I?   I will make it right!  After reading many forums and book about selling on Ebay I realized that I was naive. Therefore back to my theory of 'some people just like to leave negative feedback'. In one of these Ebay selling books the wise author stated 'be prepared for negative feedback - it doesn't matter what you do, if you sell long enough on Ebay it will happen'. I guess he/she made peace with it and realize it was just part of being an Ebay seller. My skin is thick but this still stings. The SNFL (Serial Negative Feedback Leaver) that I mentioned above has left more than half of his/her sellers with negative feedback - more than half! What terrible luck this buyer has to have more than half the items he/she purchased result in being 'not great' (which was left for me) or any other member of other very short negative comments. Wow - that is bad luck. I would stop buying on Ebay is more than half o my purchases were 'shabby' forcing me to leave negative feedback! Wait, maybe there is another reason? Maybe this person just likes to leave negative back? That is possibly it. As sellers we are allowed to leave a comment to feedback given to us I read some of the responses to 'SNFL' that were left by sellers who were the recipient's of negative feedback - Block this Buyer because he/she usually leaves negative feedback - wish I had known that ahead of time! They are blocked now but that does nothing for the damage that has already been done to my rating. If I were the 'Queen of Ebay' I would put a policy in place where you had to contact the seller before you were allowed to leave negative feedback with the hopes of working things out. I realize as a buyer you are 'supposed' to do this but it's ultimately the buyers choice as to if they want to try to be fair and give the seller a chance or just be outright cruel without looking back (or even responding as in my case). Alas I am not the 'Queen of Ebay' just a seller who wants to be treated fairly.........

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
7 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

First, give up the thought that selling on ebay will always be fair. 

I know it bites to get a neg, but trust me, it bites about as much when you get bad feedback even after fixing an issue.  Nothing says a buyer needs to contact a seller before leaving feedback.

I feel some do it this way to get a seller to freak out and offer money back in hopes of getting a revision.  With the recent change ebay made to no longer count feedback against a seller, I hope this practice fades quickly.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

I am sure you are devastated recieving an undeserved negative feedback. If it were me, I would first assume that the buyer at least feels as though they were wronged and the first thing I would do is contact them and ask if there is something I could do to make it right? I would offer to completely stand behind anything I sell and would like the opportunity to properly address the problem. Some buyers have had truly bad experiences so I would want to try and demonstrate a positive experience.

They will respond to that or not. If they do respond then I would seek a resolution that would at the very least promote good will and confidence and I would certainly accept a return for refund as I am sure you did.

The buyer may not respond. They may very well be a discontent or someone who habitually leave negaitives (there are some of those buyer who do!). If that is the case and they never resond, then it is just someone's opinion. As a buyer I would not really be impressed with a negative that just says "Not Good" and it would not deter me from purchasing from an other appealing seller.

I would advise you to not leave any response to your buyer until you have exhausted every means possible to rectify the situation- only then leave a response that is super professional. The responses to negative feedback are aften a turnoff to other potential buyers especially when they seem to blame the buyer

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

You have some lovely items. Do not let it get you down. Some people are just like that. I don't know if they are just that negative about life in general or if they want to take the fact that they are too lazy to ship something back out on the seller. 

By the way, I love the little beaded fox change purse. You should put the word foxhunting and something about a horse in your title and description. Whenever I have something with a fox on it, I always say something like foxhunting purse for the horse lover. Frequently people that have horses will look for fox stuff, whether they actually foxhunt or not.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

I am sorry to be the one to take the stand against you because I personally believe one should always reply to negative feedback. And while I certainly appreciate that you offered a refund I have also learned over the years not to lash out at the buyer. That reply is there to stay just like the negative, and it can hurt a seller as bad or worse.

I think a reply such as the following would have sounded good:

I am so sorry, I did offer a refund, please contact us so we can make this right.

Whether a seller has the ability to leave such a reply in the heat of the moment, that of course is another story...

However I have had to learn that when nothing good can be said, no reply works also.

And yes, serial neggers stink but just be glad they only left you one, and not some crazy who bought several products all separate shipping.

Now I would probably best buddy list that buyer, even thou I don't normally do that but serial negging just eats me.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

Ebay selling is a law of averages. If you sell enough you will get negative feedback. Dont sweat it. Do your best to take of the issue but if you get a negative move on. Buyers look at your overall feedback record and not one or two blemishes. In my early years I wouldnt take returns for buyers remorse and wouldnt give partial refunds and my feedback hovered around 99.3% positive. The last two years I take back all returns and give a moderate partial refund(then block the buyer) if the case presents itself. Not only is my sanity better but I have kept my 100% feeback and that isnt easy when selling used clothes.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

sloan, you have gorgeous stuff and very fair prices....hang in there.  Don't let the 'nasties' win!

Message 20 of 36
latest reply

You can't use logic and common sense when you deal with illogical and emotional people.  You would get farther talking to your big toe than you would with these types of people.  Again, as it is said over and over on these forums, something drastic needs to be done with the entire feedback system.  Sorry this happened to you 😞

Message 25 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

I know it bites to get a neg, but trust me, it bites about as much when you get bad feedback even after fixing an issue.  Nothing says a buyer needs to contact a seller before leaving feedback.

I feel some do it this way to get a seller to freak out and offer money back in hopes of getting a revision.  With the recent change ebay made to no longer count feedback against a seller, I hope this practice fades quickly.

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

I am sure you are devastated recieving an undeserved negative feedback. If it were me, I would first assume that the buyer at least feels as though they were wronged and the first thing I would do is contact them and ask if there is something I could do to make it right? I would offer to completely stand behind anything I sell and would like the opportunity to properly address the problem. Some buyers have had truly bad experiences so I would want to try and demonstrate a positive experience.

They will respond to that or not. If they do respond then I would seek a resolution that would at the very least promote good will and confidence and I would certainly accept a return for refund as I am sure you did.

The buyer may not respond. They may very well be a discontent or someone who habitually leave negaitives (there are some of those buyer who do!). If that is the case and they never resond, then it is just someone's opinion. As a buyer I would not really be impressed with a negative that just says "Not Good" and it would not deter me from purchasing from an other appealing seller.

I would advise you to not leave any response to your buyer until you have exhausted every means possible to rectify the situation- only then leave a response that is super professional. The responses to negative feedback are aften a turnoff to other potential buyers especially when they seem to blame the buyer

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Thank You for the response! I dd exactly that - Contacted them in a very civil way asking them what was wrong and offering a full refund (even on the return shipping). In my listings I state ' Returns accepted for any reason'.... In my opinion I would have made this right and it stings. I appreciate you taking the time to read my 'too long' post and respond back.... 

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

You are exactly correct! Ebay just as Life is not always fair. I have not had that happen to me.... yet (fixing something and THEN getting negative feedback). I know when you are going to leave negative FB you receive a message stating that you should 'try to work things out with the seller' first.. at least this kind of message appeard in the past. You can certainly ignore it and still leave negative FB, but I am someone who tries to work thing out other than tarnish a sellers record.. Thanks for taking the time to read this and post ! 

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

into everyone's life a few turds may fall..
That being said, see if you can't just let it roll off, although I do know how troubling it is, and it's just going to bug you until it falls off.
You have great listings, your prices are good and photos in particular are really nice. If I was into retro jewelry you'd be my favorite!
And gosh, I just looked back and saw your silver pieces- special and gorgeous!
"I need a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions."
Maria Bamford, comedian
Message 6 of 36
latest reply

Now I'm just drooling over that ladle...
"I need a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions."
Maria Bamford, comedian
Message 7 of 36
latest reply

Yes. The practice of using negative feedback as an extortion device on Ebay is now gone. Thanks to Devin Wenig and his insight into what was going on at times with feedback. Halleluha!!!

@smick55 wrote:

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

Thank Your for your reply! Yes - it is a Beautiful Ladle  - Been in my family for many, many years....

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

Did you receive any communication/emails about this item? what is the buyers user name

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

@savoryconsulting100 wrote:

Did you receive any communication/emails about this item? what is the buyers user name

They are not allowed to post the ID on the forums.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

You have some lovely items. Do not let it get you down. Some people are just like that. I don't know if they are just that negative about life in general or if they want to take the fact that they are too lazy to ship something back out on the seller. 

By the way, I love the little beaded fox change purse. You should put the word foxhunting and something about a horse in your title and description. Whenever I have something with a fox on it, I always say something like foxhunting purse for the horse lover. Frequently people that have horses will look for fox stuff, whether they actually foxhunt or not.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

I am sorry to be the one to take the stand against you because I personally believe one should always reply to negative feedback. And while I certainly appreciate that you offered a refund I have also learned over the years not to lash out at the buyer. That reply is there to stay just like the negative, and it can hurt a seller as bad or worse.

I think a reply such as the following would have sounded good:

I am so sorry, I did offer a refund, please contact us so we can make this right.

Whether a seller has the ability to leave such a reply in the heat of the moment, that of course is another story...

However I have had to learn that when nothing good can be said, no reply works also.

And yes, serial neggers stink but just be glad they only left you one, and not some crazy who bought several products all separate shipping.

Now I would probably best buddy list that buyer, even thou I don't normally do that but serial negging just eats me.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

Ebay selling is a law of averages. If you sell enough you will get negative feedback. Dont sweat it. Do your best to take of the issue but if you get a negative move on. Buyers look at your overall feedback record and not one or two blemishes. In my early years I wouldnt take returns for buyers remorse and wouldnt give partial refunds and my feedback hovered around 99.3% positive. The last two years I take back all returns and give a moderate partial refund(then block the buyer) if the case presents itself. Not only is my sanity better but I have kept my 100% feeback and that isnt easy when selling used clothes.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Thank You for responding to me...! I agree, Selling Used Clothing is not easy - I have tried it.. I have always (and I say it in each of my listings) that they Buyer can return any item I sell for any reason. I want Buyers to know that they wont be stuck with something they have purchased from me if it doesnt work out or if they just change their mind... I also offer free shipping on all my items ( I will even pay the return shipping on Defective Items - which I offered to do for this particular Buyer who inspired me to vent in this posting even though the items were just ' no so great ' as said in the negative feedback comment)... I am over it thanks to wonderful replys from you and many others.... Thanks! 

Message 15 of 36
latest reply