cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My buyer is in another country. Buyer uses a U.S. shipping address.

Sold a guitar to a guy who shows a U.S. address. Come to find out, it's called "PARAGUAYBOX".  I don't sell outside lower 48!  Do I have to still sell to this South American?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Or is this just another loop-hole that eBay allows?

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

I don't sell outside the U.S. either but have had items purchased that ended up being shipped to forwarding addresses, so obviously were purchased on behalf of somebody outside the U.S.

Supposedly we're responsible only for safe delivery to the shipping address, and I've never had a problem.  It isn't anything that bothers me.. just another sale and $$ in my pocket.

If there ARE outside problems with this, aside from the usual requirements of getting the item delivered to the address in good condition, I'm sure others will be able to share their experiences and advice.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

It's a freight forwarder. In Doral, Fl

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Sounds like a re-shipper.  I tried to google them but it was all in Spanish.

Hopefully someone will be along soon that has more info.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Google has a feature that will translate.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

You actually do not ship outside of the lower 48.  There is no block for international sales. There is a block for shipping locations.  As long as the buyer provides a US address in the lower 48, it's not blockable.

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

So I'm still obliged to sell and ship to him?
Message 8 of 31
latest reply

But I just looked at your completeds.  This is the 3k guitar?  I fully understand your apprehension.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Just another loophole they allow, mere days after I got my 100% feedback rating back I mysteriously  got negged by a scammer extortionist who did the very same thing.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

@makeuacaster - Lots of people outside the US use a freight forwarded or reshipper to purchase items from American companies.  They then pay the freight forwarder/re-shipper to ship the item on to them.

You are only responsible for getting the item to the US address.  If it gets damaged/lost/stolen after that is the purchaser's problem.   Since the item is being shipped to another address after delivery to a US address you were provided for the buyer by PayPal/eBay, that voids eBay's Money Back Guarantee coverage for the buyer.  If there's any VAT of custom's charges due, that's also the buyer's problem.

See: https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

So no, what your buyer is doing is legit, but has some disadvantages for *him/her* not you.

Just make sure:

a) You check your PayPal account to make sure the item is paid for BEFORE you ship

b) The address provided to you for the buyer by eBay/PayPal is located in the US

c) Pack the item well

d) You ship the item to the exact address given to you by eBay/PayPal

e) You ship the item with tracking (and insurance, if I were you) to the US address 

e) Make sure the Tracking # is uploaded to the transaction in your Sold folder

Afterward, you might also want to check your PayPal account settings to make sure you have it marked you only want to receive funds from now in USD.   If you've already set your eBay site preferences up to only sell to the US, you can further reduce the potential hassle factor by also restricting the kind of currency you will accept.

Here's an article from the PayPal Help Center that explains how to set this up: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/sell/mc/mc_receive-outside

HTH

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

@makeuacaster

One more thing, before you proceed...

-- How do *you know* the buyer is located outside the US?

-- What sort of buying/feedback history does the buyer have?    Especially check the feedback he/she has left for others.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

I live in Canada and have my mail sent to an address in the US and go down every couple of weeks to pick it up.  As a seller I have had numerous buyers use address in th US because they live in countries I don't ship to. 

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

I got my item to the forwarder safely and still got negged and couldn't get it removed how you explain that one? according to your post it couldn't happen so I'd say you are being misleading.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@rolenboy01 wrote:

Just another loophole they allow, mere days after I got my 100% feedback rating back I mysteriously  got negged by a scammer extortionist who did the very same thing.

@rolenboy01 -- If you have proof you mailed the item  and it arrived at the address you were provided by eBay/PayPal in a timely manner AND you have proof the buyer had the item re-shipped to another location, the buyer's MBG privileges would have been deemed null and void so no defect on your account should have occurred as a result of that transaction.  If it did, you need to call eBay and provide documentation in an attempt to get it removed.

However, feedback's another matter.   The buyer can say anything they want which on one hand, is not a big deal as feedback counts for nothing anymore in terms of eBay metrics that matter.  

It also appears from the looks of the neutral and negative you received, it wouldn't have mattered where those buyers were located.  Both complaints were about the items not being as described or expected. That's a separate problem/issue.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply