eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • StubHub

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

sandypurins
Community Member

Re: Many Sellers Calling the FTC Reporting Ebay

in reply to kaykeecorp

kaykeecorp wrote:

Cassini changes the search for each individual buyer, partly based on what they have purchased or looked for in the past, so of course your results will be different than mine.

If you have a search which proves that eBay is hiding certain listings, why not post the details of that search... what's the harm in posting it?

I understand it's possible that each person may not get the same results, but... why not post the information and let others check it out.

Please use plain text.
sandypurins
Community Member

in reply to glamkittymom

glamkittymom wrote:
I'm talking about typing in what you know is your exact title and your listing still fails to be found.

Can someone PLEASE post an example where this is happening?

Please use plain text.
sandypurins
Community Member

in reply to b86fiero

b86fiero wrote:

Since some of our listings are invisible already why not erase the seller's humanity and location from the equation too? 

Since you're posting with your selling ID, can you please post the search criteria and search results which prove that some of your listings are invisible in search?

Please use plain text.
carlmarxx
Community Member

in reply to sandypurins
Hi: Sandy.
Please use plain text.
sandypurins
Community Member

in reply to carlmarxx

Hi Carl...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sandypurins

Sandy-

What are you talking about?

You want me to post the details of a hidden search?

So I can prove to you that the new UA that says not all listings will be shown to buyers is currently not in effect? but will be in Nov? or some such nonsense...

Or am I proving to you that the CEO was just kidding in his speech at the Sanford C. Bernstein Twenty-Ninth Annual Strategic Decisions Conference when he stated

"We're testing a new user to eBay that's never been to eBay should when they show up we only show them fixed price, brand new items from top-rated sellers. It's a more familiar commerce experience and then as they learn eBay they get the wider experience,..."

Both the UA and the CEO states quite clearly that listings will be hidden.

If you don't believe the words coming straight out of the CEO's mouth and printed in the new eBay UA why don't YOU post the details of searches that *aren't* hidden.

I'm simply not interested in running a fool's errand today.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sandypurins

I've tried a variety of searches using a variety of eBay user ID's and so far, eBay's search is not hiding any of my items.  Does it only happen when there are many pages of search results?

If I am understanding you correctly, you are stating that you are running "a variety of searches" with a "variety of user ID's" and no items are hidden.

So none of those ID's are connected in any way?

Not linked by the same user ID?

Not at the same physical address?

Not at the same ISP adress?

With different PayPal accounts?

Which require different bank accounts?

And this is somehow proof that all of this talk of hidden listings is all just, well, talk- and movealongthere'snothingtoseeherefolks?

Suddenly I am far, far more interested in how you got ahold of these "variety of user ID's" then any hidden listings.

Seems...slightly irregular.

Please use plain text.
sandypurins
Community Member

in reply to kaykeecorp

kaykeecorp,   I'm asking about the current search.  Some sellers are posting that some of their current listings are hidden from search.

I never claimed that *my* searches were proof of anything... I just simply posted the results of my searches.  The various user ID's used for my various searches all belong to my family.

Please use plain text.
whartondoc
Community Member

in reply to kaykeecorp

kaykeecorp wrote:

I've tried a variety of searches using a variety of eBay user ID's and so far, eBay's search is not hiding any of my items.  Does it only happen when there are many pages of search results?

If I am understanding you correctly, you are stating that you are running "a variety of searches" with a "variety of user ID's" and no items are hidden.

So none of those ID's are connected in any way?

Not linked by the same user ID?

Not at the same physical address?

Not at the same ISP address?

With different PayPal accounts?

Which require different bank accounts?

And this is somehow proof that all of this talk of hidden listings is all just, well, talk- and movealongthere'snothingtoseeherefolks?

Suddenly I am far, far more interested in how you got ahold of these "variety of user ID's" then any hidden listings.

Seems...slightly irregular.

It's an old apologist technique.

Keep dissenters chasing their own tail.

No proof provided will ever change their minds.

They are not here to be persuaded, enlightened, or convinced.

They are here to derail, obfuscate. distract, create smoke screens and defend at all costs.

Santa Claws is coming to town...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to whartondoc

obfuscate:

ob·fus·cate
ˈäbfəˌskāt/
verb
verb: obfuscate; 3rd person present: obfuscates; past tense: obfuscated; past participle: obfuscated; gerund or present participle: obfuscating

render obscure, unclear, or unintelligible

My new favorite word of the day.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sandypurins

The various user ID's used for my various searches all belong to my family.

WARNING WARNING WARNIING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING

to any newer sellers lurking- DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

PayPal has linked unrelated accounts together if they log in from the same computer. If someone in your family owes PayPal money they can suspend your account until YOU pay it:

http://consumerist.com/2011/11/03/paypal-links-account-missing-2000-to-yours-demands-you-pay/

Leave these type of searches to a paid professional such as Sandy- it's not for us amatuers.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to carlmarxx

From blogs on the internet, it would appear the calls to the FTC are still happening on a daily basis.

Please use plain text.
roblinsgarage
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

gideon13 wrote:

From blogs on the internet, it would appear the calls to the FTC are still happening on a daily basis.

Google search:  Ebay FTC (past week)

All I found was your posts here and on ebaypowersellersunite and a couple of YouTube Videos.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Roblin's Garage - Classic Auto Salvage
Toronto / Demorestville, ON CANADA

Demorestville, Ontario, CANADA
Please use plain text.
sugarnspice777
Community Member

in reply to unscrupulousintangibility

unscrupulousintangibility wrote:

Ebay's Ten Fair Trade Principles:

Principle One: Creating Opportunities for Economically Disadvantaged Ebay Sellers

Every Ebay seller is economically disadvantaged. This is why they are selling on Ebay.

Ebay creates the opportunity, kills it, and is very open and honest by informing you

some of your listings will never see the light of day.

Principle Two: Transparency and Accountability

Ebay has been very transparent. Ebay has informed you that your listings will be

sucked up into the black hole of etailing. Ebay is taking accountability by doing so.

That's rather nice of them to inform you that you're wasting your time.

Principle Three: Fair Trading Practices

What could be more fair than Ebay informing you that your hard work went POOF

into the Ebay abyss? After all, Ebay does send you certificates, pads of paper, and

pens that break the first time you use them. What else do you expect from them?

That your listings appear?

Principle Four:   Payment of a Fair Price

There's that nasty word again. "Fair" What does "Fair" mean? It's all relative.

Fair to you is that you pay to have your listing appear. You paid for it.

Fair to Ebay is your listing might appear and thanks you for your funds.

Principle Five:  Ensuring no Forced Labor

Is Ebay twisting your arm? Is Mr. Donahoe cracking the whip? Ebay is not

forcing anyone to list on their site. Thank Ebay for having the principles.

the moral character, and the integrity to inform you that there is a distinct possibility

that doing business on Ebay could result in a 100% loss. You have to admire that.

Principle Six:  Commitment to Non Discrimination

Ebay does not discriminate on race, caste, national origin, religion, disability, gender, union membership, political affiliation,  or age. Ebay will take anyone's money. It's good business. Money is good.

Collecting money for invisible listings using zero bandwidth is even more fun!

Principle Seven:  Ensuring Good Working Conditions

Really! What could be better than sitting at home in front of the computer naked, drinking a Lungo Caffe Americano Latte,

while listing on Ebay? Well...maybe...sitting at home in front of the computer naked, drinking a Lungo Caffe Americano    Latte, while listing on Ebay and have the listing actually appear. But, that's the only thing better.

Principle Eight:  Providing Capacity Building

Ebay just sent out emails to their wonderful sellers. One million free listings. How's that for capacity building?

You have to respect, you have to love, Ebay for providing free listings. You have to respect, you have to love, Ebay

for being honest and forthwith by informing you that possibly 872,985 of those listings might not appear.

My admiration for Ebay continues to grow.

Principle Nine:  Promoting Fair Trade

If you spent an hour taking multiple pics and penning an incredible description, why on Earth would you believe

that Ebay would actually place your item in search results? Ebay just told you they might not bother with it.

Isn't that fair? There aren't too many sure things in life. The possibility of your listing not appearing is one of them.

Be happy!

Principle Ten: Respect for Ebay

I have nothing but respect for the largest international internet auction site in the world. Sellers are

lined out the door to list here under any conditions put forth by management. If your listing doesn't appear

it must be your fault. You did something wrong. You are naughty. It's a thinning of the herd. Black sheep be

darned. There are billions of listings on Ebay every year. How can Ebay show every one of them? They can't.

They are telling you that all your hard work might be for naught. I love their candor, their openess.

You do too, right? You're still selling here!

Sales are down so i get off the site for a few weeks, come back GANGBUSTERS for 2 weeks!  Going great right, then nothing.  Page views down, watchers down, i am listing the same fab items.  bids down.  Lights are out for me again.  I cannot take this much longer.  So, if some employee does not want you to be seen, they turn you off or they put you in rotation.  Now they have card blanche to do so, there allowing there self.  I cannot take this much longer.  I cant keep taking a loss like this because a company does not like you or doesnt have the capibility to show all my items.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sugarnspice777

sugarnspice777 wrote:

unscrupulousintangibility wrote:

Ebay's Ten Fair Trade Principles:

Principle One: Creating Opportunities for Economically Disadvantaged Ebay Sellers

Every Ebay seller is economically disadvantaged. This is why they are selling on Ebay.

Ebay creates the opportunity, kills it, and is very open and honest by informing you

some of your listings will never see the light of day.

Principle Two: Transparency and Accountability

Ebay has been very transparent. Ebay has informed you that your listings will be

sucked up into the black hole of etailing. Ebay is taking accountability by doing so.

That's rather nice of them to inform you that you're wasting your time.

Principle Three: Fair Trading Practices

What could be more fair than Ebay informing you that your hard work went POOF

into the Ebay abyss? After all, Ebay does send you certificates, pads of paper, and

pens that break the first time you use them. What else do you expect from them?

That your listings appear?

Principle Four:   Payment of a Fair Price

There's that nasty word again. "Fair" What does "Fair" mean? It's all relative.

Fair to you is that you pay to have your listing appear. You paid for it.

Fair to Ebay is your listing might appear and thanks you for your funds.

Principle Five:  Ensuring no Forced Labor

Is Ebay twisting your arm? Is Mr. Donahoe cracking the whip? Ebay is not

forcing anyone to list on their site. Thank Ebay for having the principles.

the moral character, and the integrity to inform you that there is a distinct possibility

that doing business on Ebay could result in a 100% loss. You have to admire that.

Principle Six:  Commitment to Non Discrimination

Ebay does not discriminate on race, caste, national origin, religion, disability, gender, union membership, political affiliation,  or age. Ebay will take anyone's money. It's good business. Money is good.

Collecting money for invisible listings using zero bandwidth is even more fun!

Principle Seven:  Ensuring Good Working Conditions

Really! What could be better than sitting at home in front of the computer naked, drinking a Lungo Caffe Americano Latte,

while listing on Ebay? Well...maybe...sitting at home in front of the computer naked, drinking a Lungo Caffe Americano    Latte, while listing on Ebay and have the listing actually appear. But, that's the only thing better.

Principle Eight:  Providing Capacity Building

Ebay just sent out emails to their wonderful sellers. One million free listings. How's that for capacity building?

You have to respect, you have to love, Ebay for providing free listings. You have to respect, you have to love, Ebay

for being honest and forthwith by informing you that possibly 872,985 of those listings might not appear.

My admiration for Ebay continues to grow.

Principle Nine:  Promoting Fair Trade

If you spent an hour taking multiple pics and penning an incredible description, why on Earth would you believe

that Ebay would actually place your item in search results? Ebay just told you they might not bother with it.

Isn't that fair? There aren't too many sure things in life. The possibility of your listing not appearing is one of them.

Be happy!

Principle Ten: Respect for Ebay

I have nothing but respect for the largest international internet auction site in the world. Sellers are

lined out the door to list here under any conditions put forth by management. If your listing doesn't appear

it must be your fault. You did something wrong. You are naughty. It's a thinning of the herd. Black sheep be

darned. There are billions of listings on Ebay every year. How can Ebay show every one of them? They can't.

They are telling you that all your hard work might be for naught. I love their candor, their openess.

You do too, right? You're still selling here!

Sales are down so i get off the site for a few weeks, come back GANGBUSTERS for 2 weeks!  Going great right, then nothing.  Page views down, watchers down, i am listing the same fab items.  bids down.  Lights are out for me again.  I cannot take this much longer.  So, if some employee does not want you to be seen, they turn you off or they put you in rotation.  Now they have card blanche to do so, there allowing there self.  I cannot take this much longer.  I cant keep taking a loss like this because a company does not like you or doesnt have the capibility to show all my items.

Or as they say in the new user agreement update you may not get site visibility for a number of "criteria".

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

One gets a much friendlier, nicer response from someone who actually speaks English at the FTC than one gets when calling ebay's so-called outsourced Customer Service.

Please use plain text.
nc-daydreamer
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

Does any one have any idea what the critera is for ebay to pick and choose who gets limited and for how long?

Like all the sellers whose name starts with B will be out the 3rd Thursday of the month?  Or do we expect downtime to be a few hours a day here and there, on a regular schedule - or even a sporatic one - or is it a day or two a week, or a week or two a month????  

I think it is days - as I'll go for 5-6 days it seems and not even a looker at over 700 items - then suddenly I'll notice lookers, watchers and sales explode for a few days, then back to nothing again.  How are we sellers expected to at least break-even on our eBay bills  like this - let alone make a profit?

=====================================
Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nc-daydreamer

nc-daydreamer wrote:

Does any one have any idea what the critera is for ebay to pick and choose who gets limited and for how long?

Like all the sellers whose name starts with B will be out the 3rd Thursday of the month?  Or do we expect downtime to be a few hours a day here and there, on a regular schedule - or even a sporatic one - or is it a day or two a week, or a week or two a month????  

I think it is days - as I'll go for 5-6 days it seems and not even a looker at over 700 items - then suddenly I'll notice lookers, watchers and sales explode for a few days, then back to nothing again.  How are we sellers expected to at least break-even on our eBay bills  like this - let alone make a profit?

Ebay likes to keep their nebulous criteria "secret". Look for the _it to really hit the fan when October 26, 2013 rolls around AND MORE AND MORE SELLERS EXPECTING GREAT HOLIDAY SALES suddenly realize throughout Novemeber and December that nobody is seeing their items... but yet the big box boys and the Chinese sellers are laughing all the way to the bank.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

gideon13 wrote:

glamkittymom wrote:

Actually I don't think whether a listing is paid or free is an issue here. It would still be a fair trade violation if some Free or Paid listings were never searchable. I'm not talking about where they show in search, ebay has already set criteria as to receiving top placement, which is fine. I'm talking about typing in what you know is your exact title and your listing still fails to be found. The UA even states it may never be searchable at all. In order for this to be equitable fair trade All Free Listings would have to either be excluded or included. It's not an unreasonable expectation that when you post a lising to a site that it be actually made available for sale, especially when ebay promotes to "Sell Your items and Make Money!"

I'm beginning to lean toward Kaykee's position: This may go beyond TORTIOUS INTERFERENCE on ebay's part, IT MAY BE OUTRIGHT FRAUD.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

I recently got a notification from Ebay that my items would receive low searchability due to my, "below Standard" seller's rating.  I have 100% Feedback and have no unresolved complaints.  I do refunds on most items and even go the extra mile to refund the return shipping if I've made a mistake on a description which can happen - we are all human.  In any event Ebay told me that my low performance is due to three people giving me positive feedback but then clicking on low stars during the feedback process.  I have no idea what this was for or weather or not they made a mistake or really had a problem since there was positive feedback and no dispute for item not as described filed.  Since August I have gone from an above Standard Power Seller to a low performance seller based on clickable stars that could have even been a mistake.  Ebay should not allow this to effect our ratings period.  If someone has a problem a dispute gives both sellers and buyers a chance to figure out what happened.  Instead this system is hiding information and allowing Ebay to violate the seller / Ebay contract by now limiting my products in searches and blocking me from taking advantage of free listings beyond those provided in a basic store.  I called and spoke briefly to Allan Marks in corporate but got shuffled to an underling who just ignored my standing up for my position.  I later got an email that stated I could list more than 200 items (they had restricted my store).  Wow how insulting and based on something that is 100% unsubstantiated!  I have been with Ebay since the late 80's or early 90's and have never seen anything so wrong.  This opens the door to the scammers who want a five finger discount by encouraging sellers to give their products away or be penalized for being honest.  To top it off - how many buyers read descriptions?  Few in my view - the only negative I've ever had (which was retracted) was from a person who bought a pan that was warped and listed as such with description and pictures with a ruler against the bottom.  I have three neutrals - one of which was from a woman who said she did not understand that Pre-Owned (Ebay's description) of used meant used.  My description said, Pre-Owned and used.  My request for a revision was ignored by the buyer and Ebay demonstrated ZERO seller protection and now it is one of the three neutrals destroying my EBay income and ability to sell - while Ebay continues to collect a fee from me monthly for selling on what is now a restricted view store.  Please other sellers speak out - this is an outrage.  One of the Ebay reps told me in October when I was first officially demoted on Ebay that Ebay has removed over 15 thousand sellers like me each year - and my huge question is what for - ???? I have a 100% rating and I am an honest seller - who ships same to next day almost everytime despite lots of health issues over the last 3 yrs for myself and spouse. Ebay is violated the basic store seller/Ebay aggreement.  Who else has been experienceing this type of situation?  The internet is full of upset sellers - question is why is Ebay doing this???  I am willing to bet Ebay will remove this comment as fast as they can.  But I am sure the FTC has already been watching the Ebay/user aggreements seller's are paying for.  This is business they are making it insultingly personal for no good reasons. 

Please use plain text.