cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listing Tool Problems, html link causing problems maybe? Used to work just fine!

Is anyone else having problems with the listing tool lately? If I try to Revise or Relist an item, the Description field shows up as blank; switching between Standard or html makes no difference. If I go ahead and 'subimit" anyway, the Description is still there. But, it's impossible to edit when you can't see what is there! I know at least some of these are listings that I had added a html link in the description to my other items for sale on ebay...not an external link. But I was able to revise those listings without any problems prior to this week.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Listing Tool Problems, html link causing problems maybe? Used to work just fine!

@katescloset15

Take screenshots and write a detailed account of the error and e-mail to griff@ebay.com so that he can forward it on to the appropriate department for review.

In the meantime, I would try new listings without the link so you have an easier time editing...

Of course you can also do a work-around: copy the text from the live listing page, then, if possible, highlight blank box to delete old text and paste new text over it and edit whatever you need to -- use the "preview" function before submitting changes to make sure it's not duplicating the text.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

try clearing cache and being sure browser is up to date........if still doesn't work try a different browser.....

I had a problem with description a while ago and it was the browser ..........once I  updated, could see everthing fine.......

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Which Listing Tool?  There are several.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Browser is up to date, I tried IE and Chrome...same problem. Same problem using my account on different computers too. Ugh!

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Just the regular one! Sorry, not sure what it's called. Just the one where you list one at a time, not Turbo Lister, etc!

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

@katescloset15 wrote:

Is anyone else having problems with the listing tool lately? If I try to Revise or Relist an item, the Description field shows up as blank; switching between Standard or html makes no difference. If I go ahead and 'subimit" anyway, the Description is still there. But, it's impossible to edit when you can't see what is there! I know at least some of these are listings that I had added a html link in the description to my other items for sale on ebay...not an external link. But I was able to revise those listings without any problems prior to this week.

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds all too similar to the grey ghost image problems?

OP - have you tried 'sell similar' instead of 'relist' to see if that helps?

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Even if I try to do a new listing and add the html link to my other listings in the description as I always have, it won't work....just doesn't show anything where I insert the link. This all started when I wanted to add something to an existing listing, so I went into "revise" but couldn't see the description in order to add something. Then I had a few that I wanted to relist and found I was having the same problem. So, technically I could try doing "sell similar", but then I also would have to find the original pictures (which I might not have saved), re-enter everything of course, AND it still won't let me insert the html codes.

"grey ghose image problems" -- what was that? LOL

Thank you for your suggestions!

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

OK, Ebay listing form. 

This happens to me all the time.  And it is always when pages aren't loading very fast.  Watch your screen, make sure you page shows as fully loaded.  If you are trying to make changes before the page has completely loaded, that is when I see this kind of issue.  If it isn't the description, it is something else goes MIA.  Watch your curser or the whatever shows you on your computer that a page or site is still loading.  See if that helps.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

@katescloset15 wrote:

Even if I try to do a new listing and add the html link to my other listings in the description as I always have, it won't work....just doesn't show anything where I insert the link. This all started when I wanted to add something to an existing listing, so I went into "revise" but couldn't see the description in order to add something. Then I had a few that I wanted to relist and found I was having the same problem. So, technically I could try doing "sell similar", but then I also would have to find the original pictures (which I might not have saved), re-enter everything of course, AND it still won't let me insert the html codes.

"grey ghose image problems" -- what was that? LOL

Thank you for your suggestions!

I wasn't clear that this problem was directly related to html links as your original post said that only some of the listings with the problem had an html link.

If you click "sell similar" directly from a specific listing, all photos and item specifics transfer over. Also, you should really save your original images until an item sells and you are past the return timeframes.

Try following above poster's advice to see if that helps. Also, if it is directly related to html links, can you instead say something like "I have other "X" for sale, please take look at my other listings. -- that way you avoid the link altogether?

Grey Ghost Images is an ongoing issue where images are not appearing and instead just a greyed out box is showing. It's a site glitch that has never been fixed.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Nope, that doesn't work! It's just being weird. Flashes html code in the description for a second, followed by nothing, won't let me switch to html view, etc. But it does show up fine in the actual listing. I just can't ever edit it!

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Thanks again for all the advice! Yes, I certainly can just skip the html code. It's only been in the last few weeks or so that I added it, and it was helping increase visibility (more views and watchers...jury is still out if it increased sales), so I wanted to continue using the link. Plus I can't edit it OUT of the current listings. Annoying and time consuming glitch! But not the end of the world!

I get the grey ghost image too, but it is only in My Selling view; images are fine in the actual viewed listings.

OK, one more possible clue. I tried a new listing from scratch, entered the Description in Standard mode, switched to html Mode, put in the html code/http link (and could see it), switched back to Standard mode, what I typed in html Mode was invisible, switched back to html Mode, the http link was completely gone as if it had never been there! eBay just swiped it clean!

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@katescloset15

Take screenshots and write a detailed account of the error and e-mail to griff@ebay.com so that he can forward it on to the appropriate department for review.

In the meantime, I would try new listings without the link so you have an easier time editing...

Of course you can also do a work-around: copy the text from the live listing page, then, if possible, highlight blank box to delete old text and paste new text over it and edit whatever you need to -- use the "preview" function before submitting changes to make sure it's not duplicating the text.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Thanks for all your help!
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@katescloset15

What's the item number of one of the listings which does this?

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

try clearing cache and being sure browser is up to date........if still doesn't work try a different browser.....

I had a problem with description a while ago and it was the browser ..........once I  updated, could see everthing fine.......

Embarassing for a company who calls themselves a tech company. The browser or version shouldnt matter, since they know exactly which browser and version you are running.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply