cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam?

Selling a laptop as my first auction, sold via Buy it Now within 2 hours. Now the buyer is texting me asking for my Paypal id. They do have history on the account (since 2006), but nothing for over a year. Is this an obvious scam?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Is this a scam?

It is a blatant scam. The "buyer" has marked the item as "payment sent" and wants your Paypal email so he can send you a very convincing fake payment email, in the hopes that you're ignorant enough to ship without actually checking your Paypal account. It happens A LOT with new sellers and many actually DO ship without verifying payment.

Do NOT give him any information. Don't reply to his messages. Put him on your block list http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderBlockLogin  and file an unpaid item dispute 48 hours after the listing ended. http://resolutioncenter.ebay.com/  Close it 96 hours later to get your fees back.

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Is this a scam?

Also, my seller page shows the funds as received, but nothing has shown in Paypal. I'm new at this, sorry.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Is this a scam?

It is a blatant scam. The "buyer" has marked the item as "payment sent" and wants your Paypal email so he can send you a very convincing fake payment email, in the hopes that you're ignorant enough to ship without actually checking your Paypal account. It happens A LOT with new sellers and many actually DO ship without verifying payment.

Do NOT give him any information. Don't reply to his messages. Put him on your block list http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderBlockLogin  and file an unpaid item dispute 48 hours after the listing ended. http://resolutioncenter.ebay.com/  Close it 96 hours later to get your fees back.

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Is this a scam?

@rashj3_0

@rashj3_0 wrote:

Selling a laptop as my first auction, sold via Buy it Now within 2 hours. Now the buyer is texting me asking for my Paypal id. They do have history on the account (since 2006), but nothing for over a year. Is this an obvious scam?

Yes it is a scam, they don't need your PP ID look for an "official" PP email...

"you have been paid, ship your item, and your funds will be released"

Don't fall for it... you have scam target, in big red letters...

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Is this a scam?

Thank you very much, I definitely would have checked my Paypal balance before shipping, but I get where some people would not.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Is this a scam?

Since you're selling a high-scam item as your first sell, I would suggest a fixed-price listing with immediate payment.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Is this a scam?

I got this far....

Selling a laptop as my first auction

And knew it was a scam.

OP it isn't a good idea to list anything worth more than $35 unless you have as much selling feedback as the dollar value of the item.  That way you can get experience about scammers and the types of scams on ebay without losing a lot.,

Scammers target new sellers.   New sellers selling high dollar tech don't stand a chance.

(*Bleep*)
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Is this a scam?

Everyone has given you fantastic advice, as this is an old scam.

I would just like to add that if the "buyer" every sends an email to you, never click on an link in that email.  If you did happen to click on any link the scammer sent you, you may want to consider running an anti-virus and anti-malware scan on your computer.  Just to be safe.

If you are ever unsure about whether or not you have paypal payment, just login to paypal directly and not through a link in any email.

Of course I talk to myself --
Sometimes I need expert advice.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Is this a scam?

NEVER give out your PAYPAL information.  Or your email or any other personal onformation.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply