eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Is there a way to disable eBay's annoying pop up telling me how many ppl

view this item??  I'm searching to purchase an item and every page I look at there's a small blue pop up telling

how many people looked at this item in the last hour.

that information is not tempting me to buy the item or helping me to decide.  On the contrary, it's annoying the hell out of me. 

It's so annoying I just went to Amazon and brought the item instead. 

There must be a way to to disable or turn it off.  Some one PLEASE tell me there is.

Or I will never buy another item on eBay again.

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

Re: Is there a way to disable eBay's annoying pop up telling me how many ppl

in reply to tclaptopparts

"It's so annoying I just went to Amazon and brought the item instead. "

Good, that's what people need to start doing.

That blue rectangle is beyond anoying and a waste of programmers' time when eBay's site has so many bugs that impede basic functionality.

Please use plain text.
whartondoc
Community Member

It's a website "improvement" crammed our throats that is past annoying.

Santa Claws is coming to town...
Please use plain text.
d-k_treasures
Community Member

Use the 'tell us what you think' link. Maybe if everyone said - 'Too annoying, going to another website to purchase', they MIGHT think about POSSIBLY removing it.

I am NOT a follower.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Is eBay trying to create a sense of urgency by telling BROSWERS how many people viewed the item?  Is this like  those real estate agent who's always telling you if you don't take it right this instant they have THREE other buyers that look at it and you might just lost out to them???

Seriously eBay, how low and dirty do you need to get??

I buy something if it's what I am looking for.  It could cost more if I BIN than bid for it or cheaper other places, but I will buy. I will pay more to buy from sellers I think is reputable than someone selling for much less but have many complaint on their FB. 

It don't matter to me how many people view the item or want it.  It doesn't help me in deciding to buy this item or not.  I could care less if a million people look at it.  

The ONLY thing this pop up is doing is annoying the hell out of me.  It keep drawing my attention away while I am reading the description.  And when it disappeared I turn my head to glance at it again.  Honestly, is pissing me off!!

And I just start getting this pop up last night.

I spent over $1000 a month buying on eBay, so I do a lot of browsing.  I'd counted about 20 to 30 times of pop up while I was searching for an item.  It got so annoying I went to browse on Amazon.  It's so much easier not have something pop up when you're reading the item description I ended up buying the item there.

Great job eBay!!! I hope whoever came up with this idea is proud of themselves. 

photo Untitled-1-3_zpscce41404.jpg

Please use plain text.
Community Member

What description? No such thing on Amazon.

If you don't want the popup, turn cross-site scripting off.

Please use plain text.
circa1901
Community Member

They're talking about the "blue box pop-up" that pops up showing "20 million people looked at this item in the last 24 hours" or "20 million people put this item on their watch list in the last 24 hours".

No one said there was such a thing on Amazon ...they said it was much easier to buy on Amazon since it doesn't have those type of pop-ups.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

It's the oldest retail trick in the books designed to instill a sense of urgency to buy. I guess eBay is now part of Penneys or Sears?? OOPS! They are both FAILING Companies!:^O

Please use plain text.
whartondoc
Community Member

They're talking about the "blue box pop-up" that pops up showing "20 million people looked at this item in the last 24 hours" or "20 million people put this item on their watch list in the last 24 hours".

No one said there was such a thing on Amazon ...they said it was much easier to buy on Amazon since it doesn't have those type of pop-ups.

That's the difference between being sales oriented and PIA oriented.

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

"It don't matter to me how many people view the item or want it."

Bots regularly crawl the site to index the listings for search engines, so it's not only annoying (and a waste of precious programming resources), it's BS to call them all "people."

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Bots regularly crawl the site to index the listings for search engines, so it's not only annoying (and a waste of precious programming resources), it's BS to call them all "people."

Ebay has an extensive database of bots' user-agents and IP's. They've been using that to discount affiliate clicks for years.

Please use plain text.
whartondoc
Community Member

Ebay has an extensive database of bots' user-agents and IP's. They've been using that to discount affiliate clicks for years.

I wonder if they used that same extensive database of bots to discount the clicks from that group of affiliates that slow diddled them out of millions?:-p

Please use plain text.
stef.holding
Community Member

I agree! I really dislike this feature. More often than not, when I "X" the little window, the browser gets stuck on the pic magnification. ANNOYING!!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

It's so annoying I just went to Amazon and bought the item instead.

Congratulations! You've just taken the blue pill! You'll find that buying experience will be far more pleasurable AND less costly that anything on feebay. 

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

Frankly I don't see what the fuss is about on this blue box thing.

I timed it on my computer and it's there a total of 3 seconds then gone.

I'm surely not feeble minded enough to go to Amazon just because of a 3 second blue box.

Most smart shoppers check both Amazon and eBay anyway I'm sure.

photo tig02-1.jpg
-It's One World... One Family - It's time to grow up-
Please use plain text.
whartondoc
Community Member

I'm surely not feeble minded enough to go to Amazon just because of a 3 second blue box.

Don't sell yourself short...

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

Come to think of it. I hope that buyers that are that easily annoyed go shop somewhere else.

photo tig02-1.jpg
-It's One World... One Family - It's time to grow up-
Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

In three seconds, I usually look at the pic, look at the description, decide if I want more information, and I'm out of there to look at the next one.

If I want to investigate 50 listings (and I often do) and I have to sit and wait until that stupid thing goes away (or try to click it away, which doesn't always work) every single time, no way I'm going to surf the listings. It's like a fly buzzing around between me and a movie I'm watching. A very big fly.

The other day, I thought, well, if it's going to cover up the picture, I'll look at the description. The box followed me down the left side and covered that up too.

It's beyond ridiculous and, as I mentioned before, the information it displays is useless.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Come to think of it. I hope that buyers that are that easily annoyed go shop somewhere else.

lol...ditto! ;-)

Ignorance is bliss
Please use plain text.
Community Member

After all these years, eBay simply ignores the fact that pop ups are so 1990, that users find them extremely annoying, and many have spent good money to purchase pop up blockers due to their dislike of the feature.

Needless to say, this is lost on eBay management.

These kind of useless features mesmerize out of touch executives with their imaginary usefulness.

This is the kind of thing that happens when the ranks of senior management are filled with aspiring millionaires who have rarely if ever used eBay as either a buyer or seller.

Apparently, this management team is under the misconception that by forcing these pop ups, they are creating some kind of imaginary stimulus to get buyers to make a purchase. Little do they realize that the annoyance factor of dealing with the pop ups has the exact opposite effect and may actually dissuade buyers from continuing.

As part of the CEO's destructive innovation concept, eBay operates under the premise that if it can be done, go ahead and do it, even if it annoys and ultimately alienates users.

Please use plain text.