eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Is there a "safe" way to ship to Brazil?

I am new on ebay and have been trying to educate myself by reading the boards.  I tried to block bidders from Brazil, but did not do it correctly and one has won an auction.

Is there a way to ship to Brazil that has any seller proctection?  The item was a low dollar amount (high for me) and from what I can tell shipping will bring the total to around $70, which again, is high for me.

The bidder also has very low feedback, 2 the last I looked.

Suggestions?

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Is there a "safe" way to ship to Brazil?

in reply to kentuckyarts

Not that I know of.

Please use plain text.
nowthatsjustducky
Community Member

in reply to kentuckyarts

Since I think the biggest hazard with shipping to Brazil is theft due to corrupt Customs and postal personnel, the best way to protect yourself and your customer is to simply not draw attention to your package, by using a generic product description and a low declared value.

Cell phone - $50 vs Apple iPhone - $150 as a random example

Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

in reply to nowthatsjustducky

Tag them $156.00 for Global express shipping and they'll back out faster than a tick hit hit with a hot match head...  You are gaining a dollar shipping it to Brazil,but risking loosing $70.00 to gain that dollar...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nowthatsjustducky

Since I think the biggest hazard with shipping to Brazil is theft due to corrupt Customs and postal personnel, the best way to protect yourself and your customer is to simply not draw attention to your package, by using a generic product description and a low declared value.

Truly, the problem is not "corruption". It is a mail service that frequently "goes on strike"....customs is not the fastest on the planet, and buyers find that they must "file a claim" on time. Subsequently, many buyers have learned that they get the item for free due to protracted delivery. 

Honest buyers in Brazil are indeed upset that their fellow countrymen have started to take advantage of the situation, thus giving the whole place a bad name. 

There was a buyer from Brazil that got the "you have been kicked out of buyer protection" email from ebay. Turns out, the buyer simply filed INR on each and every package as a routine procedure, since nothing he bought ever seemed to arrive anyway. 

Worldwide mail never had such issues until ebay got into the dispute resolution service.   For some desitnations "ebay" parcels just never ever arrive. Their dispute resoultion is typically, take the money from the seller, and refund the buyer. Thus we have sellers who simply do not want to deal with this issue anymore. 

My problems were typically buyers who filed while tracking showed "IN CUSTOMS". Filing with PayPal is expediant, and they get their refunds promptly frm my proceeds. Then they go pick up the items, they show "delivered" but too bad to be me, the seller. 

PayPal says to "ask" your buyer to repay since they now got the item. PayPal does not ever take the buyer's money back and give it to the seller who indeed delivered the goods. 

I do not offer international sales anymore for items in which I have a monetary investment, nor heavy items for which I may be forced to refund "shipping" as well.  It is a sad thing, for I truly used to enjoy selling "worldwide".....not any more. 

Send me "real money" and I will ship anyplace you like. Tell me how you are a wonderful buyer with 100% feedback, and will use PayPal, and I will have to take measures to prevent my GAG reflex. 

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to ittybitnot

FedEx or UPS because they never leave the package out of sight.

photo tig02-1.jpg
-It's One World... One Family - It's time to grow up-
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ittybitnot

Can I ask for a USPS M.O., or is that against Ebay rules?

He hasn't paid, because I haven't sent him an invoice with shipping.  What happens if I don't send it?  Then he can't pay or leave feedback, correct?

I know from reading that you take a chance whenever you sell, but it seems that if you follow the rules you at least have a chance of doing OK.

He says he has a US address.  Does it have to match the Paypal address to be "good?"  Could he add that address to his Paypal account to make it "good?"

Thank you

Please use plain text.
impalajohnny
Community Member

in reply to black*max

Safest way is to ship first class in an old beat up box with a boring declaration. That way it moves through the system safely while they are busy stealing other stuff. Still delivery can be slow but buyers tend to be patient with afordable shipping, when you charge $60 for priority that goes the same speed they are less patient. Third party insurance can be used to protect against loss, tracking numbers just prove the buyer did not get it yet.

Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

in reply to kentuckyarts

kentucky can't ask for M.O. If they have a USA address that is displayed on the paypal payment you won't have a problem just besure the address is USA when they pay and not Brazil...

Please use plain text.
impalajohnny
Community Member

in reply to kentuckyarts

If he has a US address he can just enter it into paypal when he pays and you are good to go.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kentuckyarts

You cannot ask for a money order or REAL funds of any sort.  If you are truly freaked out and DO NOT WANT TO DEAL with this person, you can go into PayPal, and choose to BLOCK PAYMENTS FROM NON-US accounts.  Your buyer will not be able to pay, and you can file the UPI dispute after two days. 

This is typically Not Suggested as a 'catch all' method of operatiing. If you have your buyer blocks set appropriately, users without a US shipping address will be blocked from bidding or buying. Be advised, that you need to check on these ebay site preferences regularly, for ebay will change them for you while you are asleep, and you can wake up in the morning to a whole bunch of BINS from buyers in China. 

International buyers often have a US shipping address which will allow them to bid or buy regardless of your My eBay preferences. It is ONLY the above mentioned PayPal block that prohibits payment. 

Problems in the past have arisen due to buyers registering a US address in order to bid or buy, but proferring an international "ship to address in PayPal". You do not get to see the "address" until the buyer pays. Some say ebay has closed this loophole. For me I still get them. once in a while..ship to Singapore via the PayPal payment. 

Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

in reply to impalajohnny

Just send them a email you'll need their USA zip code to figure shipping so you can send a invoice..

Please use plain text.
youbuytoday
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to kentuckyarts

I don't ship to Brazil without tracking number which is more expensive. I don't know how they can afford to pay for the products either. Our currency worth double their currency. It difficult to believe they can afford pay it. :smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
retrose1
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to youbuytoday

I will not ship to Brazil, I have a friend that lived there for a year and would not have anything shipped to her there.

OP, if you are new, then you need to learn the ways to protect yourself.  There is no way to protect yourself in shipping to Brazil unles you charge a very high price to the buyer and then have to wait to see if they pay and so on and if they do pay, you may get nailed on your feedback and DSRs.

Plus the buyer can assure you in every smooth way possible that they are a safe honest buyer with a US address and then pay you with their address in Brazil, and then you are scroo-ed.

If the buyer has not paid yet and your blocks aren't working or the buyer has figured out a way to get around them,  if you do not want to ship to the buyer you can apply blocks in paypal that will stop them from paying.

Go to your paypal account under the Profile tab - Selling Tools - Block Payments...There are all kinds of confusing sounding blocks in there.  Check the one that says NonUS accounts.  That means that only someone who registered their account while they were in the US and have a valid US address can pay you, anyone else in other countries are blocked.  Now this will block the buyer from paying, but I have a feeling that they have hit this before. 

After 2 days you can file the Unpaid Item Dispute and 4 days after that you can close it and the trasaction is voided.  No repercussions, no feedback and don't forget to block the buyer.  You can relist the item.

If you sell Internationa, that block will stop anyone out of the country from paying, but you can uncheck the box after the UID closes and continue with your business.  You can not block just countries in paypal.  But there are other things you can block for under Block payments in paypal, you might want to check them out.

Please use plain text.
art_dealer_cal
Community Member

in reply to retrose1

I often ship Priority or Express USPS to Brazil. It can take 6 weeks to get delivered.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to retrose1

Yes, you can ship safely to Brazil. Just not for an ebay transaction, especially if it involves PayPal as your partner. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ittybitnot
OK, I looked for the option to block non-US accounts, but only see an option to block money sent in non-US funds.  Is that the correct option?
Also, what happens if I just don't send an invoice?  He has asked for price + shipping.  Can he just pay some random amount, or do I have to send him an invoice?
I appreciate all the advice.

Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

in reply to kentuckyarts

kentucky email and ask them for their USA zip code and invoice them for that destination. Trying after the fact stuff doesn't work well....

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kentuckyarts

I ship everywhere. I have only ever had 1 problem and that was to Italy.

If it is a cheap item i will send it first class. An expensive item may require priority or global express. If they are willing to pay it i am happy to ship it.

Just sent a 300 dollar package to Argentina with no problems.

You are taking a risk though when you ship international packages.

Please use plain text.
wafepar
Community Member

in reply to ittybitnot

"Truly, the problem is not "corruption". It is a mail service that frequently "goes on strike"

Yes, it's true. Correios usually does strike every year and this is very annoying.

"Honest buyers in Brazil are indeed upset that their fellow countrymen have started to take advantage of the situation, thus giving the whole place a bad name. "

I would not say that  honest Brazilians are upset. It's much more than that! We're really furious!!! 

Please use plain text.