cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is shill bidding allowed if there are a lot of sales?

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 9103
Items bid on: 7303
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 99% Help
Bid retractions: 7
Bid retractions (6 months): 81
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@ears2youdisney wrote:
30-Day Summary
Total bids: 9103
Items bid on: 7303
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 99% Help
Bid retractions: 7
Bid retractions (6 months): 81

Well that certainly doesn't look kosher.

No, shill bidding is NOT allowed.

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Right but do they do anything about it I wonder...

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

No shill bidding is illegal, like against the law. Snipped this from another site:

Shill bidding was included in the definition of criminal fraud in the 2006 Fraud Act.
http://www.addleshawgoddard.com/www/view.asp?content_id=2448&parent_id=2439

Specifically:
"The Fraud Act could be used to criminalise(sic) conduct which may previously only have amounted to a breach of contract or other civil law or moral obligation. Examples may include:
(SNIP)
'Shill bidding' on online auction sites. This is where sellers bid up the price of their own items using a second identity."

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@savanna.dance wrote:
No shill bidding is illegal, like against the law. Snipped this from another site:

Shill bidding was included in the definition of criminal fraud in the 2006 Fraud Act.
http://www.addleshawgoddard.com/www/view.asp?content_id=2448&parent_id=2439

Specifically:
"The Fraud Act could be used to criminalise(sic) conduct which may previously only have amounted to a breach of contract or other civil law or moral obligation. Examples may include:
(SNIP)
'Shill bidding' on online auction sites. This is where sellers bid up the price of their own items using a second identity."

Having a law is one thing.

Getting it enforced is something else entirely.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I also found this:
Shill bidding may be a common practice on eBay. In his book Fake: Forgery, Lies, & eBay, Kenneth Walton describes how he and his cohorts placed shill bids on hundreds of eBay auctions over the course of a year. While many sellers consider shill bidding a harmless act, some believe that it may violate federal or state laws. ***Walton and his associates were charged and convicted of fraud by the United States Attorney for their eBay shill bidding. "***

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Report it to EBay AND to state and Federal authorities.  Probably nothing will happen but you will have done all you can do. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I've reported to eBay dozens of times and nothing happens.  I guess they don't want to lose the final value fees--they aren't big ticket items but you get volume that adds up.....

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Yeah, I don't think they have any interest in going after anyone who does that as it increases sale price and their 10%..

gopetersen
Rockstar

7 or 9 retractions per month on a bidding average of about 8,000 per month is a low retraction rate. It's only 1/10th of 1%.

I've never bid on 8,000 items per month but I have bid on many 100s per month, looking for deals, back in the days when eBay was almost all auctions. I never did any shill bidding and I spent a LOT of money on eBay in those days.

Do you know for certain this person is a shill bidder? Or is it someone trying to win low-cost auctions and maybe reselling the items?

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Griff told me once when it was quite clear that shill bidding was taking place that sometimes it only looks like shill bidding. 

Translation: We know. We don't care. It puts money in our pocket. That's the way it is. Don't waste your time. We won't do anything about it.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

It was a lot easier to spot before bidders ID's were scrambled.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@gopetersen wrote:

7 or 9 retractions per month on a bidding average of about 8,000 per month is a low retraction rate. It's only 1/10th of 1%.

I've never bid on 8,000 items per month but I have bid on many 100s per month, looking for deals, back in the days when eBay was almost all auctions. I never did any shill bidding and I spent a LOT of money on eBay in those days.

Do you know for certain this person is a shill bidder? Or is it someone trying to win low-cost auctions and maybe reselling the items?

gopetersen, 

I find it stretching credulity that a bargain hunting buyer would bid on 7,000 auction listings from the same seller in a month, and not bid on more than a handful of items from any other sellers. 

Unlucky

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@gymbo_limbo wrote:

It was a lot easier to spot before bidders ID's were scrambled.

Yes, indeed.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I have been reporting shill bidding for weeks now about a seller. This seller is a power seller and i believe ebay is protecting this seller. If you click on their items for sale, it is obvious when you look at the bids and most of them have either no feedback ratings or very few.  Again ebay in my words is protecting them.  I also believe that shill bidding is a federal offense. Ebay is not protecting us, buyers.  James Carey

Message 15 of 16
latest reply