cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to know delivery times eBay is showing buyers?

Is there a way for a seller to know the delivery date estimate eBay is showing buyers? This information seems completely hidden from sellers and I just had 2 buyers say their order didn't arrive by the estimate delviery date and I don't expect the estiamte date to have arrived yet so it seems like they shortened the time they are showing buyers will keeping it hidden from sellers.

How is this acceptable?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You might want to page Trinton to this thread.

At sign, Trinton, at sign, ebay.

His explanation would be invaluable.  I have read that ebay uses when the seller usually ships and not their chosen processing time to determine estimated delivery dates.  For example if your processing is 5 days but you ship in two, then ebay bases that on the two days you usually ship in.  But sellers may not ship in the two days, since they indicated 5.  Many like to underpromise and overdeliver, so when the buyer receives the item, they are impressed with how fast they got it.  And the seller has a buffer for unforeseen circumstances.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@Anonymous

Went ahead and paged him for you.  

Just an idea, I don't know if this will help you.  You could try logging out, then just going back in and searching under completed listings to see what the buyer is seeing if you are not seeing it as a seller.  Or check your Sold Items, maybe it is listed there.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Ran out of edit time, sorry.  If you usually ship faster than the processing time you chose, that could be in this mix.

The longer processing times may also give the seller a little extra time to pack something that might require extensive packing or special circumstances.

Item might need more packing material than seller has on hand, and this was not known until they actually started to pack up the item.  Extra time would allow them to find more supplies while still honoring their commitment.

Some may ship in one day but put a longer time period to use as needed and necessary.  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Purchased today it can arrive from 8/25 to 9/5 that rate moves ahead each new day tomorrow it will be 8/26 to 9/6....

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@ccrrefills wrote:

Is there a way for a seller to know the delivery date estimate eBay is showing buyers?.....

This is information I'd like to have at hand, too. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Side note:  You uploaded the tracking number to the sale or used eBay labels so that you and your buyers have tracking which shows them where the items are?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

if you look at the order details you will see the estimated date
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@dbmm-media wrote:
if you look at the order details you will see the estimated date

yep........

Estimated delivery Monday, Aug 21, 2017

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Sorry, I don't sell anymore so did not suggest order details as I see that as a buyer; did not know seller saw that since the OP said he couldn't see it.

Hope that makes sense!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

For example if your processing is 5 days but you ship in two, then ebay bases that on the two days you usually ship in. 

If you go out to 5 days, it will change to the 5 days and not do that earlier estimation thing.  I do it all the time.  Actually, just bulk edited to 5 day handling today and it shows earliest delivery, to my zip code, as next Thursday.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Wait a minute..

so you're saying that if you promise your customer he will have his purchase in n days because "reasons," and you happen to ship someone else's package in fewer than n days for no related cause, that customer will be given a more optimistic promise without you even knowing about it?

Just when I thought I'd gotten a handle on the most serious pitfalls of selling here! I was hoping that by using processing days I could reduce the chances of a weather incident, emergencies, etc. from ruining my seller rating.

What happens if you set five processing days and ship on the day of sale, but just sit on the tracking number until day 5?

My problem here is that no carrier guarantees a delivery will arrive within a specified time. They guarantee you'll get the shipping speed you paid for. eBay was already giving customers the wrong impression about shipping times.

Is there no way to keep from losing here?

Message 12 of 12
latest reply