cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many returns a buyer has

Is there a statistic anywhere on a buyers profile that shows how many times they have returned an item and the reasons for returning something?  It seems like ebay allows buyers to falsely claim SNAD in order to return items on a consistent basis, so it would be nice, as a seller, to have that information available about potential buyers before shipping an item to them.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

No lists and no real way to tell whether a SNAD is legit or not........sometimes they actually are legit.

There have been cases of buyers complaining that Ebay has warned/suspended them for various reasons........but most certainly wouldn't "brag" about it if ebay did sanction them in some way............

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@bigchief2472000 wrote:

Is there a statistic anywhere on a buyers profile that shows how many times they have returned an item and the reasons for returning something?  It seems like ebay allows buyers to falsely claim SNAD in order to return items on a consistent basis, so it would be nice, as a seller, to have that information available about potential buyers before shipping an item to them.

No. You would need to read a buyers feedback and see if they leave negative feedback on a regular basis. That might 

be an indication of such behavior.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Or it would be nice at least to have an option to exclude people who have x number of returns, just like you can exclude people that have 2 instances of not paying within a certain amount of time.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@lex-talon wrote:

@bigchief2472000 wrote:

No. You would need to read a buyers feedback and see if they leave negative feedback on a regular basis. That might 

be an indication of such behavior.

I've been doing that, but after reading some of the horror stories and seeing how nonchalantly ebay seems to handle things, I'd really like to have more info on buyers to determine if selling something to that particular individual is worth the risk.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

That would be more an indicator of how many bad sellers that buyer has run across, than how bad a buyer they are. 

Unless you believe that most/all SNADs are fraudulent, in which case you should attack the problem at the root; by complaining to eBay that they are fundamentally unfair.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@omgitlightsup wrote:

That would be more an indicator of how many bad sellers that buyer has run across, than how bad a buyer they are. 

Unless you believe that most/all SNADs are fraudulent, in which case you should attack the problem at the root; by complaining to eBay that they are fundamentally unfair.

It could be an indication of either or, but if a person returned an overwhelming number of items, I would be more inclined to think they were either a picky buyer, not reading item descriptions, a "try it before they buy it" type person, or a flat out scammer.  I know there are bad sellers as well as buyers, but ebay's policies tend to favor buyers over sellers in a dispute, so why not give the sellers a piece of information that could help them weed out potential problems before they arise.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

eBay Has kicked buyers off of their buyer's protection,

because they file too many MBG claims.

fwiw,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I would love to have a setting that allows me to block bidders/buyers who have GIVEN "some" number of negative feedbacks over the last "some" amount of time.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@omgitlightsup wrote:

That's the problem though even if they aren't a scammer per se I don't want to deal with someone who continually picks bad buyers it tells me they don't read or pay attention or are just indecisive and picky such people still cost sellers money.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@bigchief2472000 wrote:

If eBay did make this information available, buyers would simply shed that account and create a new one. It takes about 30 seconds. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I see the dilemma here..  either they've had a string of bad luck or they're the kind of buyer who can't be satisfied no matter what.. but that's kind of the environment we've created here by letting eBay turn us into adversaries. It wasn't like that in the 90s. People could talk to each other and "wheel and deal" to arrive at a mutually beneficial transaction. Now everybody has to play by eBay's rules, which cover every aspect of the sale, and if we commit a sin someone has to be blamed for it.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@omgitlightsup wrote:

I see the dilemma here..  either they've had a string of bad luck or they're the kind of buyer who can't be satisfied no matter what.. but that's kind of the environment we've created here by letting eBay turn us into adversaries. It wasn't like that in the 90s. People could talk to each other and "wheel and deal" to arrive at a mutually beneficial transaction. Now everybody has to play by eBay's rules, which cover every aspect of the sale, and if we commit a sin someone has to be blamed for it.

as an example I don't consider someone continually buying from chinese sellers and getting junk "bad luck" it's a willful lack of paying attention to negative feedback before ordering.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

If eBay did make this information available, buyers would simply shed that account and create a new one. It takes about 30 seconds. 

That may be true, but then they would be back to a zero or low feedback account and sellers would know to be cautious.  I've realized that there's a lot of high volume sellers here that pretty much absorb losses as the "cost of doing business", but I'm not a store or a business.  I'm just an individual that wants to sell a few things and the stuff I typically sell ranges in price from $100 to $1000 and shipping ranges from $7 to $15 one way, so one bad encounter could be enough to ruin it for me.  It's not that I can't "afford" the loss, but some of the stuff I sell is already at a net loss to me, so taking an even greater loss would make it not worth it for me to sell here.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply