cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a bidder bid the same amount as the high bidder and then become the high bidder?!

I just had a bidder with 0 feedback bid on a item and is now the high bidder on a auction that will close soon. The problem is the bidder who just signed up - bid the exact same amount as the established high bidder and now the 0 feedback bidder is positioned to win the auction. Is that even fair? As a buyer myself I have always had to place a bid for at least 50cents over the high bid before being given the option to bid on the item so, how does someone get to place a bid that is the exact same amount as the high bidder??? I have had this happen before and what will wind up happening it that the zero feedback bidder will win the action and not pay for it and then the established bidder is gone. Poof!! So it winds up being a unpaid item and a strike on the zero feeback bidder that doesn't care anyway and the sale is lost. As a seller you work hard to secure a sale - taking pictures, writing a good description, offering competitive pricing then just to have some new sign up zero feedback bidder just bid to block the current bidder. But how can it be done without a single penny to increase the current bid. Argh.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

How can a bidder bid the same amount as the high bidder and then become the high bidder?!

The zero feedback buyer placed their bid on December 1.  The other bidder placed theirs on December 3.  Just look at the bid history and this is clear.

ALWAYS be honest and exceedingly FAIR!

The Volunteer eBay Community Mentor formerly known as juanmogamer
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

The zero feedback buyer placed their bid on December 1.  The other bidder placed theirs on December 3.  Just look at the bid history and this is clear.

ALWAYS be honest and exceedingly FAIR!

The Volunteer eBay Community Mentor formerly known as juanmogamer
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

In case of a tie the bid goes the the first bidder.
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

If they had bid at 12:02:04 and the other bid at 12:02:05, they would still be the high bidder.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

If you do not want to deal with inexperienced bidders you have the preference settings in your seller hub to set restrictions as desired.  I had 10 feedback rating and found I was blocked from bidding as an inexperienced/low rating buyer.  I have seen auctions where 2 people hold the same HIGH Bid and have questioned how this happened especially when the NEW bidder is the one with the possible win.  I know how it happens I just don't understand why the NEW bidder got the actual winner when the first person had placed the Maximum earlier than this New bidder.  But then if you are watching your email you get informed you have been outbid so you have the option to increase your bid if you really want the item.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Ok, I see that several bids by one bidder was retracted. So, now I see the dates. Seems like the winning bidder is also out of the country.  So, I hope that the zero feedback bidder is a legitimate buyer. Fingers crossed.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Because they bid that amount first
On Nov 30th your high bidder put in a bid, looks like Dec 1st they placed a max bid, when your 2nd bidder came along and bid on the Dec 3rd they kept entering bids that made your first bidders amount increase .

Totally normal bidder 1's bid was put in first so they are high bidder at $33.00

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bidding-overview.html#auto

Edit to say sorry op looks like we posted at the same time.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Thanks everyone. Fingers crossed on this one. I don't think they allow you to block zero bidders anymore. I will check again.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

I don't think they allow you to block zero bidders anymore. I will check again...................

You don't want new buyers ?

I welcome them with open arms.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

You cannot block 0 bidders.

But you can block certain countries you do not want to deal with.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

No you cannot block zero feedback buyers
Site preferences allows blocking buyers with 2 or more non paying strikes in 12 months

Another post earlier today about zero feedback buyers , many are not aware ebay has guest buying now, there will be alot of 0 feedback buyers so best to get comfortable with it, not all buyers are registered users anymore.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Thanks, I will look into that. I do realize that there are some good new buyers out there. So, its often a tough call especially when they can stay zero feedback whether they are really good or not. If they had a bad sale the seller could only indicate it as good feedback and most would just not leave the feedback at all so, its just hard to tell.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

" many are not aware ebay has guest buying now, there will be alot of 0 feedback buyers so best to get comfortable with it, not all buyers are registered users anymore."

WHOA, didnt know that.....uh oh.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

• you could never block a 0 feedback buyer. You could block someone that had a negative feedback though like a -1 or a -2 feedback. Those are hard to earn these days but still possible seeing i just saw one posting on the boards today that had a -1 feedback rating.
  • Being the holiday season, you get alot of zero feedback buyers that turn show up.
Message 15 of 25
latest reply