cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Horrible vintage clothing categories change

havershaw
Rising Star

I cannot imagine whose idea it was to change the vinatge clothing categories.

But as a multi-decade eBay buyer of 1947-66 clothing, I find the new system completely infuriating.

I typically just look at all of the items that have been listed in the era of clothing I collect and wear.

Now I have to scroll through 6 times as many items of clothing, the vast majority of which are NOT from the eras of clothing I'm interested in?!?

My wife will be thrilled, because I think this is what will finally break my eBay habit.  I can't believe someone thought this would be a good idea.  Probably the dumbest thing you guys could have done.

If you have any sense at all (and I'm not very optimistic, because let's face it, somehow this idea was implemented in the first place), PLEASE go back to separating clothing by eras.  This is awful.

Answers (15)

Answers (15)

heartnsoul1
Rising Star

Omg , I listed things today with all the item specifics for pre 1920 items and cannot find them even on my own page not to mention in the newly listed pages of that decade

Terrible!

what was wrong with the old way of shopping and listing by decades or eras?

jubileel
Pathfinder

I just noticed it today and it makes me very upset.  Why is a men's t-shirt now in the same catagory as a Victorian Men's shirt?   How are they even close to being anything the same?    It's made it impossible to search for items I'm interested in!  How do we get ebay to change it back?  Start a petition?

rp_vintage
Adventurer

AND AND AND... as sellers we often list under two categories as items may fit easily into more than one (style, type, era etc.).  Others obviously do the same.  eBay is doing themselves a disservice as NO ONE will list under more than one category under the circumstances and eBay will LOSE the additional listing fees.  

jubileel
Pathfinder

If you go under My Ebay on your Summary page, right under "search" there is a "Tell us what you think" link.  Click that to submit feedback about this terrible change of catagories.  

lovelyvintage44
Adventurer

Re: Horrible vintage clothing categories change

in reply to May 29, 2016 7:47:12 AM
I have done that and it goes nowhere-they NEVER read them and I believe it is a tactic ebay uses to divert the mass upset comments they get daily
If they actually read them or this forum MAYBE they would get a clue about issues that DO NOT need changed or fixed
to ruin selling and charge yet more and more fees!
0 Helpful
unquity
Rising Star
Last Edited 01:07:18 AM

I totally agree. The "new and improved" vintage categories are a debacle! "Dress Shirts" and "Casual Shirts"? You can't be serious.

zaboo
Adventurer

they did the same STUPID thing in marbles! took them out of vintage toys, eliminated all sub categories and lumped everything togther under 'toys-marbles'. my sales and watchers cut instantly by 25%. they are killing us and themselves. I have people telling me they are no longer shopping for marbles on ebay. why? because they can't find what they want wading thru 18K lisitngs a day with no categories! they quit! EBAY IS COSTING US SALES WITH THIS! streamlining caegories stinks!  ebay was founded on collectibles. now they dont care. Guess they want to be another overstock? and they dont give a ****

piratedogforever
Adventurer

I use to shop and purchase vintage nautical antiques, pirates brass, pirate bronze items etc....

And I cannot tell you how many Pirates of the Carribbean items come up, Pittsburgh Pirate's stuff (baseball cards, shirts, etc).

I'm done after my listings end this time. I dont think I have sold 30 items in the last 18months. People cannot buy things they cannot find.

Not worth the time and effort.

zaboo
Adventurer

as everyone can see, they did this to many categories. why???  so everyone loses money? or just those of us that list collectibles? thats what it looks like to me.

campmcclellan
Enthusiast

I TOTALLY agree.  I only buy 1850's and 1860's items.  Now I have to sort through thousands of items.   As my time is very limited, this will directly impact my ability to find and purchase items for my collection.

rp_vintage
Adventurer

AGREE!!  Vintage clothing categories have been by organized by period for as long as I can remember and I dare say most everyone searches by period, whether buyer OR seller.  This change that generalizes the entire category is unbelievable.  We have been members since 1998 and CANNOT remember just a potentially damaging change.  This could hurt sales dramatically.  I can only hope eBay is paying attention to these comments. This is NOT just whining by a few sellers... this change could cause irrevocable damage.

zaboo2smarbles
Pathfinder

Re: Horrible vintage clothing categories change

in reply to May 26, 2016 10:50:46 AM
EBAY DOESNT CARE
ebay was founded on collectibles, now they seem to just want them out.
0 Helpful
secondhandguru
Adventurer

I agree this is HORRIBLE. I just returned from vacation and was trying to relist. I use Mac Garage Sale and when I tried to relist it notified me of the category change and I was unable to list. Now I have to go through each and every one of my vintage clothing listings (and there are many) and choose a new category, delete the old item specifics and enter new ones. What a pain! It is costing me time and $ and makes no sense whatsover. Also, it sure would have been nice to be forewarned about this change. UGH.

tajfellion
Adventurer

Yeh they've done it on Sheet Music (sand Song Books) too.  All sheet music is now "Contemporary" or "Antiques and Collectible".  While before there were many separations by style, era or ethnicity, or if just Instrumental.  And there were from "before 1990" and Decade by Decade.  I have no idea whose definition of Contemporary they are jusing.  So I've split my 300+ plus pieces of sheet muisc into before and after 1950!  Luckily I only had 28 song books.  Most pre-1950.

Taj
rp_vintage
Adventurer

Appears that sales are tanking in general.  Wouldn't you think eBay would be looking at it's bottom line and realizing the error of it's ways?  

thestrawberry
Adventurer

My vintage menswear has tanked since the change. The idiocy of melding all periods together is precisely what will drive me away from ebay to other sites.

lovelyvintage44
Adventurer

ebay makes changes over and over and over and my guess is they are trying so hard  to squeeze MORE money out of sellers 

Just when it seemed perfect in the past year they have added so many strange rules and regulations that the selling issues are rampant

Inconsistent and unreliable is what selling on ebay feels like anymore!