eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Ebay's New Valet Service. Seller Central's feedback and thoughts please?

I just now read about Ebay 's New Valet Service where Ebay sells it for you.

I watched the brief video.........but it WAS BRIEF

May I have your all's thoughts on it?

On the face of it........it sounds easier and like a good idea......because basically it's ebay's show anyway

Please use plain text.
circa1901
Community Member

Re: Ebay's New Valet Service. Seller Central's feedback and thoughts please?

in reply to auntrudy

You only get 70% of whatever the item sells for. There's a huge laundry list of items that aren't eligible. I loved the section in the TOS about what happens if your item isn't sellable...and the first sentence is weird ...makes it sound like the "ebay valet" is a bot ..."the eBay valet will use its expertise".

"What happens if Your Item(s) Don't Sell/Are Not Sellable

The eBay valet will use its expertise to decide in its sole discretion whether an Item will successfully sell on eBay.com. Some Items may not be sold on eBay.com for various reasons including, but not limited to, instances where there are questions about the safety, authenticity, or the legality of selling such Items online. If the eBay valet determines that an Item is not sellable or if the Item doesn't sell after being listed on eBay.com, you will be notified.

Based on your stated preference, you can have your unsold Items mailed back to you for a fee (currently $25.00 if your Items were picked up and $10.00 if your Items were mailed in or dropped off—the return fees may be lower in the future). You can also choose to have the eBay valet recycle or discard your Items at no fee. You have 48 hours after being notified about your unsold Items to change your preference regarding return of your items. If you do not change your preference within 48 hours, your Items will either be returned to you or recycled/discarded based on your previously stated preference."

http://pages.ebay.com/sellforme/terms.html

Please use plain text.
18704d
Community Member

in reply to circa1901

I like this part:

The eBay valet will determine, in its sole discretion, whether your Item will be most likely to sell successfully via auction or fixed price format. If the Item is listed in auction format, the price it sells for will be determined by the market. If the Item is listed via fixed price, the price will be determined based on the asking price set by the eBay valet. The eBay valet will use its expertise and other comparable items on eBay.com to set the asking price for a fixed price listing.

so.. let's allow eBay to price all our stuff at 1/4th of what it's actually selling value is.

I envision Tons of 99cent listings.

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to auntrudy

It's so they can get more PayPal users.

It's not to make money selling the stuff—after fees and everything, there's probably not much money in it.

It will probably be used by people who'd rather get a few bucks for it than donate it to charity, especially since it gets picked up.

To use it, you have to sign up for PayPal. That's the game plan. I think it will work.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gopetersen

Thanks for your replies...........

I wondered what you thought.......

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to auntrudy

Well the 70% is not much worse a return than selling yourself. If you factor in anything for your time you possibility will come out ahead with the service.

Look at the small seller with an unlimited amount of product but with a regular job has limited time.

Nothing to say you couldn't do both either.

photo tig02-1.jpg
-It's One World... One Family - It's time to grow up-
Please use plain text.
clothescloseouts4u
Community Member

in reply to auntrudy

auntrudy wrote:

I just now read about Ebay 's New Valet Service where Ebay sells it for you.

I watched the brief video.........but it WAS BRIEF

May I have your all's thoughts on it?

On the face of it........it sounds easier and like a good idea......because basically it's ebay's show anyway

I am wondering if Ebay is getting so hard to navigate and list on that they  think it may be a good idea for them to take over and list expensive items, - at least they will get listed.   Ebay, IMO, is not the easiest place to learn how to sell on for numerous reasons.

"It is unreasonable to attempt to reason with the unreasonable."
Please use plain text.
themeanlittlebean2013
Community Member

in reply to auntrudy

I just finished (well almost) my first round of using the ebay valet service and all I can say is, DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

We sent the valet service 11 items totaly an estimate of about $1500. We have never sold on eBay before and were fooled into thinking this would be the easiest way to do it. They require the items you send to have a purchase price of at least $50. The items we sent are very popular, always in demand, have a 100 year warranty from the manufacture and do not depreciate in value, used or not. Everything was in brilliant condition. Here is what happened......

1) There are two valet centers to ship to, one being 4 hours from my home. Took them over a week to receive my items. I emailed them (their choice for communitcation. The phone number they list goes to eBay, not the valet center) asking if they recieved them. My email was ignored. You are only allowed 2 shipping labels at a time and can not order new ones until the items have been logged in. I have over 50 items to sell and they are sizeable.

2) Received an automated message that my items were recieved and were being evaluated and they would email me again when they were listed. That took another week. Emailed them again asking what was the hold up, as this is, the ONLY job these people have....... email was ignored. Got so fed up I started listing and selling my items on my own.

3) Received notification that my items were now up for sale. I viewed the listings and about had a heart attack. The site they were selling from had only a 97% seller rating. The opening bids were terrifying low. They only had 8 of my 11 items listed, they actually FORGOT about the other 3. The items were lumped together in bulk groups that made no sense. The descriptions of the items were completely inaccurate. Items that were "limited additions" were not advertised at such.  And not to stereotype but my items are directed more towards a male audience and they had the auctions all closing right in the middle of the SuperBowl.  All of the information I had received from the valet service "assured" me that these were "professionals" researching, marketing, advertising, listing and selling my items.  And that I should "trust" that they know what they are doing. I contacted the sellers site directly alerting them that one of the lots, valued at well over $400 was described completely wrong, they responded back with "well it does have one bid already".

4) I went to the valets store to look at the reviews they were getting on the items that they sold and was horrified at what I found. Keeping in find the $50 retail value of the items they accept, they were literaly giving this stuff away. Example: High fashion big designer brand name leather boots in beautiful condition sold for $5.99. Brand named beautiful leather belt $.99

5) I emailed them three times explaining the problems with the listings. Was completely ignored. Finally had to call them on the phone, again, you only get eBay, not the actual valet center. They had to file a greivence which yeilded no results as nothing was done and the auction ended.

6) All of my items sold way under value......which would have been fine and we would have accepted it had it been advertised correctly.  I recently sold, on my own, an identical item that they had two of in one lot. Their lot of 2 sold for $232.50, my lot of one sold for $227.50, if you get my point.

7) I received a message saying that all of my items sold and as soon as they recieved payment from the buyers that my 70% would be deposited into my account.......................that was six days ago and I havent seen a dime. Of my $1500 dollars worth of items.......we made a little over $400. Sellin on my own????? Doing very well :smileyhappy:

So, unless you have stuff that you really dont care about, and all the time in the world to wait for them to do their job, I seriously do not suggest this service. We made the mistake of jumping in with two feet, rather then testing the waters and seeing how it went.

Part Fort Knox, Part Ninja, Part Drunk Security Guard, Part Time Bomb, Part Sinking Ship, Part Swirling Toilet Water, Part..........
Please use plain text.
on_isle9
Community Member

in reply to auntrudy

Wonder if this is the data collecting i spoke of from using the automated list 3 times thing.

Since they can zoom in on whats not selling, so they invented this deal.

Less items for everyone to see..
Please use plain text.
trainsguy
Community Member

in reply to themeanlittlebean2013

someone explain to me.....

if ebay wants to have a valet service..... why are they requiring a seller to send the merchandise to ebay so they have to turn around and send it to the ultimate buyer?..... why don't they require specific item information with an absolute minimum of 12 detailed high quality pictures..... and then assuming they list the item and it sells..... the shipment is then made from the original owners home to the buyer which would be the same as a drop shipper does.....

why does ebay feel the need to force the additional shipping and handling costs?.....

plus..... if ebay would require you to give them specifric item information and a dozen high quality detailed pictures..... you've already done all the work to create the listing to begin with..... so why do you need ebay to sell it for you?

Please use plain text.
themeanlittlebean2013
Community Member

in reply to trainsguy

You ship your stuff to ebay for free and they photograph, list, sell and ship everything for you for 30% of the sale. But for the time they take and at the prices they are selling the stuff for, I have no idea how the valets will stay in business.

Part Fort Knox, Part Ninja, Part Drunk Security Guard, Part Time Bomb, Part Sinking Ship, Part Swirling Toilet Water, Part..........
Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

meanlittle, thank you for reporting on your experience.

I've been curious about how this would work out.

Honestly, I never envisioned it as a way to actually SELL stuff at a good price. I assumed the people who would use the valet service were planning to donate something to charity (and expected nothing for it) and, instead, decided to get a little cash through eBay.

But I realize, after reading your experience, that there may be MANY people who see it as a way to sell things, through a known venue, to make some money.

Your experience confirms what many of us have suspected for a long time. eBay knows dikk about retail.

I'm sorry for the people who trust the "eBay brand" and find out the hard way that eBay doesn't know how to get a good price for something, but word will filter out eventually.

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

"You ship your stuff to ebay for free and they photograph, list, sell and ship everything for you for 30% of the sale. But for the time they take and at the prices they are selling the stuff for, I have no idea how the valets will stay in business."

I'm pretty sure it's a loss leader to get people signed up for PayPal. From what I read, you can't use the service without a PayPal account.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to auntrudy
Leave it to eBay to once again steal amazons idea but implement it horribly

I would never let these hacks do anything for me. This is going to be a disaster for sellers who use them. The tos alone is cringe worthy

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to auntrudy
Remember gopeyersin amazon has a successful fulfillment system so people will assume quite wrongly that ebays system is similar so they may feel it a safe bet.
Please use plain text.
themeanlittlebean2013
Community Member

in reply to gopetersen

I took it as, they were so particular about the items they accepted and that they had to have a $50 retail value, that they were actually interested in making money off high priced items.

What you guys are seeing is all of the advertising information they are using to draw people in, what you dont see is the info they send you once you are a part of it. VERY different tone once they have your stuff!!!!!!!!!  They are absolutely not adhearing to ANY of the standards that they require of the regular sellers, and again, my boxes shipped out on January 14th and I have yet to be paid........

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

You have to wonder if "other" eBay employees are getting a good deal on some of those badly described items.

They didn't fix the listings even after you gave them information that would have improved their chances of selling for a better price.

Also, combining good products that sell for a couple of hundred into a dual lot makes no sense. That's what you do with loss leader junk to clear it out.

Please use plain text.
trainsguy
Community Member

after reading the piece about what happens if the valet decides that your items aren't sellable..... or they don't sell at all..... I'm convinced that ebay isn't running this..... they let some third party come in and pitch this idea to them and ebay takes a piece of the percentage.....

and that's why they want the items shipped to them..... once they have the items..... the third party company has as much incentive to sell the good items as they do not to sell the marginal items..... I guarantee that most people are going to opt to let the valet "recycle or discard your Items at no fee"..... and at that point..... what do you think the third party is going to do with those items?.....

I'll even go one further..... this was pitched to ebay by one of those large companies that take donations and run large thrift shops under the false premise that they donate large portions of their revenue to charity..... then cook their books so that the revenue is a mere token amount with the donated proceeds almost non existent.....

and that's where your "recycled or discarded items" will end up.....

it makes no sense why ebay would be doing this unless it's allowing a third party to do it..... and when I see companies employ this type of grasping at straws approach to increase profits..... my first thought is they're in financial trouble.....

don't get me wrong here..... Carl Icahn is a corporate raiding scavenger..... but maybe there's more logic to him wanting Paypal to be separated from ebay than his normal personal greed.

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to trainsguy

trainsguy wrote:

someone explain to me.....

if ebay wants to have a valet service..... why are they requiring a seller to send the merchandise to ebay so they have to turn around and send it to the ultimate buyer?..... why don't they require specific item information with an absolute minimum of 12 detailed high quality pictures..... and then assuming they list the item and it sells..... the shipment is then made from the original owners home to the buyer which would be the same as a drop shipper does.....

why does ebay feel the need to force the additional shipping and handling costs?.....

plus..... if ebay would require you to give them specifric item information and a dozen high quality detailed pictures..... you've already done all the work to create the listing to begin with..... so why do you need ebay to sell it for you?

Because that would not be a valet service.

photo tig02-1.jpg
-It's One World... One Family - It's time to grow up-
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to black*max

Wow  of all the item types to send to them to sell - I've sold some LGB and other train items and I can tell you they sell very well on ebay.  You won't need help at all selling these items, certainly not from a service that doesn't know how to research and price things accordingly.

Please use plain text.