cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay is like wrestling The auction site is fixed!

This will get everyones eye opener.  So why do people still sell on this site?

I am curious for any sellers who still sell on this site.  Lets do the math. So lets say you post an item up.  You start with the bidding.  The item is then won.  Ebay takes 10% plus any other additional fees and hidden fees.  The other company that you do the exchange of money with takes 3% about.  The shipping.  Is it free or is it the amt.   How much do you make profit/ loss margin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRgVjsWrSaY&t=656s

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

ECON101

Over the years I have tried at least 3 other eBay like web sites. The fees were lower, but so was the traffic and, therefore, the total sales.

I also have my own independent web site with no fees beyond the basic registration fee. But nowhere near the exposure or name recognition as eBay.

If you had 2 outside salesmen and one of them routinely turned in significantly more in sales wouldn’t you expect to pay the more productive salesman a higher commission?

That is all that eBay fees are. Commissions paid for exposure received.

Lower fees are not a bargain if there is no exposure.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

@phillyexpressgoods wrote:
So why do people still sell on this site?

I am curious for any sellers who still sell on this site.  
How much do you make profit/ loss margin. 

I sell on this site because at the end of the year, after all my expenses - the cost of the item, the eBay and PayPal fees, and the cost of packing and shipping - I put 75% of the selling price in my pocket. 

I do this by selling items between $5 and $50, and my rate of problem transactions (lost in the mail, returns, SNADs, etc.)  is about 1 in 300. 

I tried my items on three other sites for several years, and got perhaps 1 sale for every 100 sales that I got on eBay. 

I still sell here because it is easy and I make good money.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

I am curious for any sellers who still sell on this site.  Lets do the math. So lets say you post an item up.  You start with the bidding.  The item is then won.  Ebay takes 10% plus any other additional fees and hidden fees.  The other company that you do the exchange of money with takes 3% about.  The shipping.  Is it free or is it the amt.   How much do you make profit/ loss margin.

Try a Brick and mortar store if you want to see high fees. My eBay fees wouldn't pay the electric bill let alone everything else. Just because they take a fee doesn't necessarily make it bad unless of course, you don't know business.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 4 of 31
latest reply

The question is why are you still here?

Ebay is the choice many of us make because of it's name, the amt of traffic it gets, and the ability to list almost any item you want. Other sites are more specialty sites, those that aren't don't get the traffic which means less sales.

Some are more comfortable elsewhere or using social media and paying no fees at all - but for those of us here - Ebay works for us.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

How much do you make profit/ loss margin.

Plenty.........because my cost basis is very small...........I buy low and sell high.....  if fees were 50%, I would still come out ahead.........

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Well said, lucky.   

My experience is the same as yours - I've also tried at least a half a dozen other sites through the years with limited success.   I've never sold items on ebay for less than $5 and rarely more than $50 - my problem transactions are about 1 in 1000, and USPS has never lost any of my shipments.   Since I still sell a few items on consignment for elderly family and friends and use "free" shipping on some items - the amount going into my pocket can be as low as 15% or as high as 80% of the selling price. 

However, that's not to say my ebay sales today are as robust as they were ten years ago - far more competition now.  But I still supplement my retirement income nicely while finding new homes for recycled  "treasures". 

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

I don't need to watch a youtube video to learn about eBay fees, because I read about them before I started selling. And I've kept track of every change, and how it affects my business.

If you can't make enough money here to justify the amount of time invested, then don't sell here. But don't be foolish enough to assume that other people aren't making bank here.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Im still selling on here because of exposure for my items or so I thought.

I dont have the lowest priced stuff here on ebay but not the highest either, often wonder how people make as much money as they do with certain items when there are hundreds and thousands of the same type of auctions.

So far to me, it seems like its just stroke of luck to have someone look at your stuff here and its even more luck to sell any item.. maybe I am just doing this all wrong from what I see and read..hmmm

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

How can you compare Ebay to an insitution like Wrestling.

Ebay will never be able to compete.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

@findyouryouthagain wrote:

often wonder how people make as much money as they do with certain items when there are hundreds and thousands of the same type of auctions. 

Those are the people who aren't making money. For example, probably 90% of the "sales are dead" threads in these forums are started by people who sell clothing. Most of them don't seem to have the slightest idea that there are probably millions of listings for used clothing here. It's always "eBay is hiding my listings". Wrong.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

papermoneyforme wrote: 

I can think of many words to describe how things work around here, but "fixed" is not one of them... Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

Selling on EBay is a hard dollar.

Our brick and mortar store was not a business in any way that could compare to ebay. We could write a book about the differences. But, let's say there was a lot more return for time invested. (Like 1,000 times) and advantages as fixed hours and human contact. Also, the ability to leave work at the store. 

There are people on ebay who make money.

But, many sellers manage to squeeze out just a little.

The percentage of sellers who try and quit every year is unknown. Ebay does not share that information. We would love to know, guessing it is the vast majority.

All one has to do us get on an old thread, and go to a posters items for sale, and you can see how many sellers are gone.

There are many who sell because they are home bound for a number of reasons.(poor health, transportation issues, caring for children, or sick family are a few)

There were glory days on ebay apparently, where if you worked, you sold. Things sold quickly. We weren't selling a lot then. We found it very hard and our B&M store much more lucrative.

There is a whole desperate group of people who are making a few dollars an hour selling their possessions. This drives prices down.

You must just be getting a start on eBay, it's very complicated, a long learning process, and things to sell are getting harder to find. Then there's finding things you think will sell that dont.

And some customers are difficult to please. Thankfully there are good buyers out there as well. But ebay's policies are very heavily weighted towards buyers,

Best of luck to you.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

But you can compare Ebay to an institution ...........

@phillyexpressgoods  It's fun and I make money ... if either of those stop then I'm done, very simple.

As to the fees, build them into the price structure and they become a non issue so not sure why you even make a point of those?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 15 of 31
latest reply