eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Does paypal charge you for shipping label?

http://salecalc.com/

im sellign stuff that could sell for as littelas 1-2$ and wanted to know if this site itakes into consideration of printing out the shipping label

im not sure if paypal pays for shipping label or not but if it comes with delivery confirmation then I assume there is additional fee on top of the normal paypal charges

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Does paypal charge you for shipping label?

in reply to unshookable

Yes, ebay charge to print their shipping labels, but you'll get a discount, and free tracking. It's worth it.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to single104

wondering if you can help me out single. 

any way I can calculate the shipping label cost beforehand? I am going to sell some stuff around 1-3$ total and was wondering if I could make any profit off of it

Please use plain text.
nowthatsjustducky
Community Member

in reply to unshookable

Neither eBay nor PayPal charge a fee for purchasing shipping through them.  The only site I've dealth with that charges is Amazon.  They levy a 7 cent charge per label purchased.

Please use plain text.
partial*eclipse
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to unshookable

You would have to know the package weight; for up to 13 ounces, you can use First Class packge shipping. If you print yur label through eBay or PayPal, you'll be charged the "Mixeed ADC/Single piece" rate shown on page 13 of the orfficial USPS rates publication, Notice 123, i.e., $1.93 for up to 3 ounces, including free tracking (AKA Delivery Confirmation):

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

When you print a label through eBay or PayPal, you pay only the USPS prices for postage and any added services, there is no fee for printing the label per  se.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nowthatsjustducky

I just called paypal and they said they charge for their sjipping labels at the end of the month. its added on on top of the fees.

I wonder if Ebay charges?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to partial*eclipse
thank you, it seems printing shipping labels will net me a negative profit if I sell items for 2-3$ or less
Please use plain text.
nowthatsjustducky
Community Member

in reply to unshookable

Whoever you talked to at PayPal is clueless.  I keep close track of all my PayPal transactions, and there has never been anything for shipping tacked on at the end of the month.

Please use plain text.
partial*eclipse
Community Member

in reply to unshookable

unshookable wrote:

I just called paypal and they said they charge for their sjipping labels at the end of the month. ..

What on earth did you ask them? Im not sure how FedEx works, but when you purchase a USPS postage label, it is charged to your PayPal account immediately, there is no end-of-month tally.

Postage costs are the same via eBay and PayPal, excpet that Top-Rated Sellers pay a lower rate for Priroity Mail when they print their postage on eBay.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]

hmm really?

they explained it to me as this.

lets say I sell an item and my paypal fee is $2.50

if I print out a shipping label, then I will eventually have to pay for the shipping label and it will be added ontop to my paypal fee. so there is an additonal charge 

Please use plain text.
nowthatsjustducky
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to unshookable

You sell an item.  Let's say $8 +$2 shipping for a total of $10.

Buyer pays you $10 through PayPal.  PayPal charges 2.9% of that plus 30 cents as the transaction fee, so your take home is $9.41 ($10-0.59)

You then purchase the label through PayPal.  Let's say it is actually a 3 ounce package.  So the label is $1.93 for First Class (it would be that price on PayPal, eBay, or even online through the USPS site.)  All you get charged is the $1.93 as purchased.  No additional PayPal fee on top of that.  So of course you will have to pay for the shipping label, just like you would anywhere else.  But PayPal is not charging you anything extra on top of that.

Please use plain text.
sandypurins
Community Member

in reply to unshookable

You will have to pay for the shipping label at the time you purchase the label, but PayPal and eBay do not charge a fee for printing the label.

Please use plain text.
survival_rangers
Community Member

in reply to unshookable
You do have to pay for the postage, you'd have to pay postage no matter what company you used.

However the actual printing access of the label isn't charged to you, just the postage price (which is less than you would pay at the post office most of the time, online shipping has a discount).
Please use plain text.
lookng2015
Community Member

nowthatsjustducky wrote:

Whoever you talked to at PayPal is clueless.  I keep close track of all my PayPal transactions, and there has never been anything for shipping tacked on at the end of the month.

ducky, to get the right answer, you have to ask the right question and I feel there's a little disconnect with whatever the OP was asking them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley

"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to unshookable

Ok thanks guys, I just never noticed that I payed for the shipping label when I printed them out :smileyembarrassed:

I thought it was covered with the fees somehow even though the fees wouldnt really amount to a shipping label postage price .

I was just going to sell some cards, but some of those cards I would sell for a total of 2$, so printing a shipping label would kill all my profit 

Please use plain text.
duchess-at-speakeasy
Community Member

in reply to unshookable

If you are selling very inexpensive items, you have to ADD the postage amount (and any handling charge) to the total so the buyer pays enough to cover your expenses.

For example:  You sell an item for $2.00 and specify shipping and handling at $2.50.  Buyer pays you $4.50.  The eBay commission is 10% of the total amount -- $0.45.  The Paypal fee is 2.9% of $4.50 or $0.13 plus a transaction fee of $0.30.  These fees apply even if you handwrite the label and pay for postage at the PO counter.  

Your total income is $4.50.  Your expenses are $0.45 + $0.13 + $0.30 in fees ($0.88) and the amount of postage (let's say it is $1.93 for a 3 oz. First Class package, online prepaid label).  Your net income is therefore $1.69, less any expenses for supplies such as a box, envelope, tape, etc.

You can mitigate the Paypal expense for items under $12.00 by having a micropayments account -- the fee structure is different.

In other words, don't bother selling stuff for a couple of dollars unless your customers are likely to buy multiple items on one order.  Or lose money.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess

To eBay, I think we hover somewhere between loathed, tolerated, and ignored.
Please use plain text.
lookng2015
Community Member

in reply to unshookable
You can always send them in a normal letter with a stamp and no tracking and stick a qaurter in a jar every time you ship to cover any claiming INR

Also look into a PayPal micropayment account
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley

"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lookng2015

thanks guys, will micropayment go easy on the shipping labels as well or does it just giving you a better fee rate

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to unshookable

"thank you, it seems printing shipping labels will net me a negative profit if I sell items for 2-3$ or less"

Yes, there is NO SUCH THING as free shipping if you are based in the U.S.

All sellers pay for their shipping labels. You have to pass the charge onto the buyer either as a shipping charge or added to the cost of the item.

eBay Final Value Fees are also charged on the shipping portion of your product.

The shipping label is charged through USPS. eBay and PayPal are only serving as brokers in between. They give you a better rate because THEY get it from USPS in big-bulk quantities and pass on the bulk savings to their sellers/label buyers.

Why waste time looking for ways to try to sell a $2 item for a profit? It's almost impossible unless you live in a country that subsidizes shipping and room and board is only $150 a month, or unless you sell a product where buyers regularly buy 20 or 30 or 50 of those items at the same time and want them shipped together (then you save labor, not shipping, since the buyer still has to pay shipping).

Look for items that sell for enough to make a profit and sell to people who can afford to buy them.

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to gopetersen

Also count the cost of the envelope, any cardboard/boxes/packing peanuts/bubblewrap, tissue paper, plastic sleeves, that you might have to include to protect the products, otherwise they will arrive at the destination damaged and your buyer will want all the money back.

Please use plain text.