cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do sellers have any recourse against buyers falsely claiming damaged item?

I recently sold my first item on Ebay...a blu-ray steelbook.

The cardboard box I shipped it in was extremely sturdy and durable and even had a thick layer of foam on the inside. I also wrapped the steelbook in several layers of newspaper, tissue  paper and even a ring of cotton balls around the outside...to eliminate the possibilty of any wiggle room.

I took pictures of each stage of the packing process, just to make sure I could prove everything I'm saying, should the buyer claim otherwise.

Upon the package being delivered, the buyer waited two days to contact me and sent pictures with three large dents on the steelbook case, saying that the post office had "manhandled it."

I do not believe his story at all. I can post the photos of the box and material I shipped it in if anyone is interested. There is no way that those dents occured during shipping, unless the box was run over by a truck.

Now the buyer is asking for a discount.

the whole thing is shady as hell.

What can/should I do?

...am I just screwed?

Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

I take it you did not buy insurance.

Unfortunately ebay does not look at photos.  They have no way of knowing if it was sent damaged, damaged in shipping or the buyer is lying.

So they will take the buyer's side and force you to send return label and refund upon return.

Message 2 of 74
latest reply

Actually I did buy insurance...for up to $100.

Sold the item for $80.

Will the Post Office reimburse me for the full amount if the buyer returns it?
Message 3 of 74
latest reply

"So they will take the buyer's side and force you to send return label and refund upon return."

What if the buyer isn't trustworthy and never returns it...or says he returned it and it never arrives?

Message 4 of 74
latest reply

Yep - he's trying to get something for nothing. If he has not opened a case, tell him the only way to get a refund is if he ships it back to you. If he refuses to do that, he's scamming.

If a buyer opens a false SNAD, make the buyer return the item before issuing any kind of refund. Be sure you get it back in the dondition it was in when you sold it. If the buyer has used and abused the item, you can open a case, during the refund process, to alert ebay that the buyer is misusing the MBG/returns feature (or any other issue you are having with buyer, such as threats and intimidation, feedback extortion, etc...)

Block buyers with 2 UPI strikes and with 4 or more policy violations (that is why it is important to report any and all buyers who misuse the MBG and Returns feature).

Obviously, some returns are legitmate. But ebay's MBG and 30-Day Return policies encourage scam buyers. We (sellers) are working to get this changed!!

Message 5 of 74
latest reply

@duncbe6 wrote:

"So they will take the buyer's side and force you to send return label and refund upon return."

What if the buyer isn't trustworthy and never returns it...or says he returned it and it never arrives?

Buyer has so many days after receipt of return postage.  And he must use tracking.

If it does not come back to you with on line tracking then you can eventually close the case and not have to pay him back a dime.

Just make sure when he opens SNAD, that you check the return for refund square.

Not sure about insurance, but I would think you could only be reimbursed for the price of the item.

Make sure all original outer packaging is saved

Message 6 of 74
latest reply

Buyer has to provide valid tracking on a return.
You really need to read up on some policies before selling anything else.
Start here:
https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/selling-basics.html

and on the flip side of the transaction, you could brush up here:
https://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/basics.html
Message 7 of 74
latest reply

No. Insurance is for mail that gets lost or completely damaged. it does not cover your buyer's use and abuse of the item.
Message 8 of 74
latest reply

Buyer is claiming it was damaged in Post.

That is why it is important to tell your buyer to keep all outer packaging as the Post Office is going to want to inspect it.

Message 9 of 74
latest reply

"Be sure you get it back in the dondition it was in when you sold it."

It won't be in the condition it was when I sold it, because it has these dents now. But the shrink wrap should still be on it. Even if the shrink wrap has been removed, how can I prove that the buyer did it?

I went through all the "buyer requirements" and blocked buyers with too many strikes against them. This guy has nothing but positive reviews.
Message 10 of 74
latest reply

Dis the buyer say the packaging was damaged? Did he provide pictures of the damage?

If he claims the item was damaged - I would tell them you are filing an insurance report with USPS and to keep all packing as the postal inspectors will want to inspect it before paying the claim. You're a new seller and itis a hot ticket item for collector's. Do not tell the buyer to return for refund yet as that will void the insruance claim if it was indeed damaged - but 10-1 - the item isn't damaged and by telling the buyer that postal inspectors need to see the damage for the claim - will make him go away. They do notwant to be on the USPS radar.

Message 11 of 74
latest reply

When you say the buyer should keep all outer packaging, do you mean he needs to ship it back to me in the same box I shipped it in?

What if the box is too badly damaged to be used again?
Message 12 of 74
latest reply

If I file an insurance report with USPS...how do they get a look at the outer packaging? Do I tell the buyer to send the box back to me inside of a new box?

Assuming the buyer is lying, which I absolutely believe he is, wouldn't he take the time to make sure the box looks sufficiently damaged?

...even if he has to do it himself with a hammer.
Message 13 of 74
latest reply

@duncbe6 wrote:
"Be sure you get it back in the dondition it was in when you sold it."

It won't be in the condition it was when I sold it, because it has these dents now. But the shrink wrap should still be on it. Even if the shrink wrap has been removed, how can I prove that the buyer did it?

I went through all the "buyer requirements" and blocked buyers with too many strikes against them. This guy has nothing but positive reviews.

A buyer can only receive positive feedback, so it is basically useless.

Feedback he leaves for others is more telling.

Message 14 of 74
latest reply

@duncbe6 wrote:
When you say the buyer should keep all outer packaging, do you mean he needs to ship it back to me in the same box I shipped it in?

What if the box is too badly damaged to be used again?

No.  Someone from the shipping company will come out to the buyer's residence and inspect the outer packaging to try to determine if they are at fault.

Message 15 of 74
latest reply