eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
nonia4
Community Member

DSR SHIPPING TIME NIGHTMARE

I'm really about ready to blow my brains out here or join a support group or something. Starting 5 months ago, my account was flagged as "below standard" for 7 low star ratings for shipping time, which left my percentage at 2.86%. I started receiving nasty e-mails from Ebay saying how all these restrictions were being placed on my account, most devastatingly lowered search placement, especially because I did the math and realized that I would have to sell 150 items or more with not a single low-star rating just to get it back below 2%. That meant taking a price hit on 150 items, since I generally start my items at 99 cents !! I've managed to sell a lot since then, just operating a charity and taking a loss, basically paying people to take my items. I managed to give away 80 items this month so far, but I'm still coming up short: 2.19%.

Ebay has lied to me at every step of the way. I talked to one representative back in December who told me Ebay realized their policy was hurting people and was going to start only counting the last 3 or 6 months soon, and I don't need to worry about it. Never happened. Then on January 12th, I talked to a representative who assured me, even after I asked her if she was sure about this, that if I sold 7 items and got positive/5-star feedback, I could have the restrictions on my account removed. When I called back today they told me she lied to me.

Trying to figure out how this all works, I read on the Ebay help page "How Feedback Works" that if a single buyer leaves multiple low DSR's, then it only counts as one. Here's what it says: "Detailed seller ratings from the same buyer are counted in the same way as Feedback. Only 1 per week is included in the seller's score."

This traumatic experience has caused my so much grief in my life that of course I had wanted to figure out how this happened, so I knew from running detailed seller reports that these 7 ratings could only have come from a small number of buyers. When I brought this up on the phone today, I was lied to again. They assured me that it was calculated correctly, when I know very well that it's not. I even double checked again today, and the seven 2-star ratings are coming from a very narrow, isolated date range where I had multiple problems that caused my shipments to be delayed first by me and then by the post office for only a very few buyers who bought multiple items.

When I talked to customer service today, finally they said a supervisor would call me back in an hour, but they assured me my DSRs must be calculated correctly and there is nothing they can do to change it. I never got a call from any supervisor.

I've lost so much money and I have so far to go, I've always really loved Ebay and I just feel so devastated by all of this. I know probably none of you can help me, but I do appreciate you reading my story. I'm really at my wit's end here with this. I'm really a very good seller, most people love me and I send people free gifts and I always do anything I can to make people happy. I've never had a negative or neutral feedback and I would just refund anybody's money if they ever had a problem with anything, I just can't believe that I'm being placed in this category of undesirable when I know that my ratings are being calculated incorrectly, and there's nothing anybody can do to help me. Since one of the restrictions is that I can't participate in the free listings promotions, I even opened a store on Ebay, I have just given them so much money and lost so much money over this and I don't know why I'm even doing it. I feel like the victim of some kind of psychological abuse at this point, an abuser who keeps telling me it's my fault and I keep believing them only to have my faith betrayed again and again.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: DSR SHIPPING TIME NIGHTMARE

[ Edited ]
in reply to nonia4

It's sad that ebay allows a small amount of buyers the power to destroy a business.    And further, these 2-faced buyers hide behind their computer screens and leave good feedback and slam you on stars.

quite honestlly, many buyers don't even realize that their star ratings are so destructive.    and that is ebay's fault.  ebay's system is flawed.

i hear your psychological pain from this.   I've had a very bad experience with ebay and they destroyed my business too because they closed my multiple accounts and I've not been invited to an invitation only invite free listing offer since then (5 months ago).   And there was nothing wrong with my stars, feedback, etc.   Just multiple accounts which they helped me set up.

I have been devistated since then.   My business has crashed tremendously.   I let my staff go.   It's just me now.   I used to make LOTS of money before they did this.    And it happened when I called to get my newest account limits raised (which I did monthly).  

I think that ebay trust and safety or vetting department are clueless.   They look at a small picture, and what comes out of their mouths is just nonsense.   I wonder if they have any education in their area. 

Sad to see that they have the big box sellers here getting a free ride with feedbacks and stars, etc.

It seems as if ebay is going after the honest sellers who unfortunately ran across a couple of rogue buyers.   But nothing compared to the blatant bad sellers who are very tricky and work around the system.

OP,  I hope you can fix your account.   

p.s.   I also don't blame ebay for you losing money because I don't think it really makes much business sense to sell 99cent items online.  

p.s.s.   Since ebay's destruction of my successful business model here, I have been building up another business elsewhere.    So, hopefully, all in all, it will eventually work out better for me since I find ebay very abusive to sellers that they target.   It's not a good feeling.   I get stressed just thinking about my situation.

Wish me luck on my other business venture.

"May the odds be ever in your favor." :-(
Please use plain text.
nonia4
Community Member

in reply to antique.cottage

Hey A.C. I appreciate the reply. I do think the system is flawed because if you look at a site like Netflix, most of the movies are rated in the 3.0-3.5 range at best, and you see many, many reviews in the 1-2 star range. Same on Amazon. If two stars is the first negative possibility (and my negative ratings were only 2-star ratings, I'm not disputing that those items shipped slow, but they were perfectly packed, and I had to wait for shipping supplies while being told repeatedly they were about to arrive). Anyone who gives a 2-star review is totally justified in doing so, but the way it looks to the buyer is that it's just an honest way to give the seller a positive but let them know that something might be improved on, constructive criticism. In actuality they are worse than negative feedback, because they can evidently remove negative or even neutral feedback (I've never had to, but I see the stats for it there in Selling Manager), but the star ratings stick there forever.

And by their mathematical formula, even if I get my average down below 2%, if they don't fix the way this is being calculated, it will go back above 2% if I'm not selling enough items to match the hundreds of positives that are going to be aging off. So you're absolutely right about the business model, the only reason I have to do it this way is because I need to sell an infinity of items just to keep my account active and able to sell in the future. It's really frustrating.

I do wish you all the best on your next venture. You and I both may well be better off if we can become independent of Ebay, for the sake of economic security. I want to believe that Ebay is just too bureaucratized and compartmentalized and no employee is given any ability to do anything to help someone who has a legitimate concern, but I'm beginning to wonder if they don't know exactly what they're doing, because the only thing the people on the phone keep telling me is "you have to sell a lot more". Why should I? You're treating me this way and I'm supposed to now view this as a reason to give you forklifts of money in fees? With no free listings anymore?  And then comes the threat: if you don't fix these seller ratings within six months, they will restrict all of your accounts from ever being able to sell again. I''m well into month six right now and I've gotten nothing but positive 5-star feedback on over 80 items, but now that I think about, I should go check and see if some of my old positives are going to age off and counteract some of that. This is frustrating beyond belief.

Thanks again for the reply and your commiseration, best wishes to you and your family. I hope your employees have found other work, too, it's really a tough economy right now. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nonia4

Why do you have a 128 feedback when you show over 270 feedback received in the last 12 months?  Your star ratings all look good.  Are you referring to a different account?  Am I missing something here?

Please use plain text.
nonia4
Community Member

in reply to kattinsanity

Hi Katt, thank you for the reply. I had a lot of buyers who combined multiple auctions into a single order, and in the case of feedback, it was counting the number correctly according to the rule I cited in my original post, at least. It is this account . In my dashboard it says I have 320 transactions in the last 12 months and 7 low star ratings for shipping time, but all positives (no neutrals/negatives). No low star ratings for any other categories ever.

Please use plain text.
cynthealee2
Community Member

in reply to nonia4

nonia4 wrote:

Hi Katt, thank you for the reply. I had a lot of buyers who combined multiple auctions into a single order, and in the case of feedback, it was counting the number correctly according to the rule I cited in my original post, at least. It is this account . In my dashboard it says I have 320 transactions in the last 12 months and 7 low star ratings for shipping time, but all positives (no neutrals/negatives). No low star ratings for any other categories ever.

When will they fall off?  If you can hang on to the account long enough (and eBay doesn't give you a perma ban) they will fall off and you will go back to 0%. 

Till then sell your items at reasonable prices, and get them out the door as fast as possible with tracking to avoid any new ones.

At this point you are playing a waiting game for that bad time to fall off your record.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nonia4

OP,

If reading this board for the last couple years is any guide, Customer Support will probably not give you accurate information and probably will not help you get rid of the dings. I would not give up on that avenue completely, but I would also stop investing any more emotion capital in it. You have already done the math and know what it will take to get your account back in good standing.

But to have gotten seven dings on the same star is either incredibly unfortunate, or it points to a real issue with your shipping time. Have there been ANY instances over the past year where buyers may have been even somewhat justified to feel that you shipping your shipping time was too slow?

It probably goes without saying, I but I hope you have set your handling to 3 days in order to reduce expectations ... and are making absolutely sure that you ship within a day in order to beat those expectations. I say this only because in your entire original post, you did not mention taking any steps to address that issue and another ding or two could end your selling days here.

Unlucky

Please use plain text.
tree*fern
Community Member

in reply to nonia4

Nonia, I sent you a message with the instructions on how to run DSR reports, so you can identify which particular transactions got low DSRs.  You can't contact buyers about the ratings, but at least running the reports will help you identify the problems for certain, and if from the same buyer(s), check whether the multiple low DSRs were correctly calculated.

~ Jen
Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to antique.cottage

"p.s.   I also don't blame ebay for you losing money because I don't think it really makes much business sense to sell 99cent items online. "

It depends how you do it.

I have many buyers who buy between 20 and 70 of my 99-cent items at the same time and sometimes they buy the 99-cent items along with other items selling for between $5 and $40.

Don't knock it unless you've explored all the different ways it can be done.

Please use plain text.
nonia4
Community Member

in reply to cynthealee2

Hi Cynthea, thanks for the reply, you have a really nice store btw and I like that banner you have in your post. They will come off in August, but unfortunately before they do, I have hundreds of positives coming off in June and July. :smileysad: I'm just going to have to shotgun individual 99 cent auctions by the hundreds in order to compensate, I guess. You're totally right about the waiting game, but I did end up talking to someone from Ebay who it seemed was going to research whether or not they could help me and get back to me. Of course, they've blown sunshine so many times that I don't really believe anything's going to come of it. So it all comes back to waiting for these to age off 

Please use plain text.
nonia4
Community Member

in reply to unluckytheloser

Hey Unlucky, I've sure received a lot of false information from Ebay support, so I definitely concur. The shipping was slow for those items, and I do think it was partially my fault because I didn't ship instantly, but there was also some weird anomaly with USPS. I dropped off a big stack of comic book packages, and only a couple of them didn't even get scanned for the first time until a week later. The shipping time from the time I dropped them off at the post office in California until they arrived in New England was 18 days.

I've totally learned my lesson now, though, so A) I never ship media mail unless it's a huge book collection and I make very certain to let the buyer know to have reasonable expectations; and B) I always get my items scanned as accepted (and ask for a receipt, which I keep) when I drop them off at the post office, so the clock starts ticking on the delivery time right away; and C) I'm mostly selling items now that can all be shipped first class (banknotes) or, for expensive comic books, priority mail.

I shipped a collection of comic books media mail recently and I even emailed a PDF scan of the receipt from the post office to the buyer showing it was accepted at the earliest possible moment, so there could be no question of shipping time. The buyer is supposed to rate the seller on how quickly they shipped the item, not on how long it takes to get there, but I doubt many of them realize that unless they are sellers themselves.

I have all my handling times set to 1 day now and for the last three months I've been 100% at uploading tracking in time, usually I upload it within an hour or two of someone paying, sometimes within minutes. I'm really not someone who has a problem with this, that's why it's so frustrating.

Please use plain text.
nonia4
Community Member

in reply to tree*fern

Thank you, tree*fern, that's very kind of you, and yes, I've been running these reports. Not that I really needed to because I knew exactly which shipments were delayed, it was just that the Ebay people kept trying to convince me that it was coming from 7 different buyers when I knew that it couldn't possibly have been, so by using the DSR reports I could see that they were just saying whatever to try to convince me I didn't know what I was talking about. I just don't think it was entirely my fault since it took 18 days to ship from the time I dropped the packages off at USPS.

Please use plain text.
nonia4
Community Member

in reply to gopetersen

You're right, gopetersen, I normally lose money on the 99 cent transactions unless people bundle them. I'm not even concerned about making money at this point, though, I just want my account not to be suspended and to get it back to Standard so I can get these restrictions lifted. Then I can sell for real, but for now I'm just trying to deal with these headaches. At least if Ebay makes it so difficult to sell then there won't be much competition for the people who are able to figure out their labyrinth of lies.

Please use plain text.
renaee480
Community Member

in reply to nonia4
Well at least you still have the opportunity to sell I got restricted indefinitely , yesterday with shipping brought up to standard oh ya, great compliments for shipping improvements but, talked to CS of course she didn't know anything told me to ship quicker and in Feb. I would be up to standard, instead I'm banned from selling. I had only 4 stars dinged for shipping in a 12 month span, 100%. us my shipping was at standard the day I got restricted. I researching alternatives to eBay. they could care less about the sellers, they get their paycheck that's what their there for. I sent an email in response to theirs said would contact in 24 hours. We will see. eBay is disrespectful, I've read a lot if horrible stories what has happened to others.
Please use plain text.
tree*fern
Community Member

in reply to nonia4

You're welcome!  Sorry, I understood your post to mean that you were running reports based on the date range.   Because DSRs don't show up until at least 24 to 48 hours after the feedback is left, date range reports don't necessarily match up with the specific feedback.  

If you run reports based on transaction numbers as described, you can identify each one of the specific transactions and see the specific ratings each one left.  Also, if you leave the reports undeleted, CS can then look at the reports, so you can prove to them what you're saying about the DSRs.    

". . . from running detailed seller reports that these 7 ratings could only have come from a small number of buyers. When I brought this up on the phone today, I was lied to again. They assured me that it was calculated correctly, when I know very well that it's not. I even double checked again today, and the seven 2-star ratings are coming from a very narrow, isolated date range. . . "

~ Jen
Please use plain text.
nonia4
Community Member

in reply to renaee480

Hi Renae, I'm hoping that's not how this nightmare ends for me, it gave me chills just to read your message! I would be grateful if you would post back and let me know what they tell you. I still haven't heard back from the person who said they were going to help me, and as I mentioned when they said a supervisor was going to call me before it never happened. I wouldn't be surprised if neither you or I get a call back, because it seems like they just tell you someone will call you back just to get you off the phone. Thanks for the message and I hope for the best for you!

Please use plain text.
gardenbaylvr
Community Member

in reply to nonia4

Why did you let yourself run out of shipping supplies? You should never wait until you are out or nearly out to reorder. Sorry this happened to you.

Please use plain text.
gardenbaylvr
Community Member

in reply to nonia4

I am pretty sure comic books aren't allowed to be sent Media Mail-last I checked the rules prohibit shipping anything with ads. If I am correct you are very lucky your shipments weren't inspected. That said, Media Mail is a super slow shipping method and shouldn't be used here on Ebay. Always ship the fastest method you can afford-for most that's Priority.

Please use plain text.
terry5732
Community Member

in reply to gardenbaylvr

99 cents is the bulk of the problem

Low end buyers leave low feedback/DSRs more often

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gardenbaylvr

Media mail can be used on Ebay successfully... I do it all the time and so do thousands of other sellers. Its less than half of priority. If your selling books or DVD's you have to use it just to compete. Most of the time its delivered in 5 days and sometimes around 7 and then there is the odd case of 2 weeks. Media mail actually travels at the same speed as parcel post according to my postmaster.

Thousands here use parcel post too and now the cheaper alternative from Fedex is Smartpost. My experience is Smartpost travels at the same speed as parcel post.

However these slower delivery methods can turn into a nightmare around Christmas.  I sell only stuff I can ship with Fedex during that time of year. I sent a few Smartpost and it was about 10 days during that time. Since then they have been running 5 to 7 days.

Running out of packing supplies. Simply put there is no excuse to not ship if you do run out. Go buy it at Walmart or wherever just to get the stuff you need to ship it.  Might cost you more but you have to do what you have to do. Remember, customers could care less that your out of packing tape. They want their items. Now!

Last week I ran out of bubble wrap, wrapping paper and some sizes of boxes. I sold way more stuff than I thought I would. Down to Wallyworld I marched and paid three times what I normally pay for supplies. I didnt like it but everything went out on time. 

In todays Ebay enviroment I think all small sellers need to find some simple inexspensive widget they can sell and ship cheaply and easily. Something you can break even on at least. Seems kind of stupid but you need the numbers so that a few sadistic buyers cant put you out of business. Its a strange way to do business but I dont see any other way around it. In this case bigger is better.

I started here selling DVD's and had very little trouble. I've expanded into used electronics and would love to just do that but I dont think I could survive here. Thats a risky category. To offset that I have several thousand DVD's sitting here that I will sell just to keep the DSR's healthy. I make money on the DVD's buts it a lot more work than used electronics.

Please use plain text.