cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collectors who constantly rip off sellers.

I am so sick of these Collectors who email you before purchasing an item and ask you about the condition of an item and when you check it its fine but as soon as they receive it they file for a item not as describe for a  refund ..  it seems like every time one of these buyers emails me to check on a cd condition before they buy it .  this happens. its always on cheap cds that cost more to ship then the disc is worth so you end up having to give a refund since it cost too much to return the item...

What is wrong with these buyers?  this always seems to happen on a day where you sales are really bad and then that refund ends up costing half your days sales. . just venting

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

I would not refund, I would pay for the return and make it necessary for themt o send it back. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 2 of 49
latest reply

I have always replied " Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your item.  Please return for a full refund".

Amazingly 99% of the time I hear no more.

Saves on refunds, stress & the need to post a profanity laden rant.

Works for me! 

Message 3 of 49
latest reply

I am among the top collectors in the world in my niche category.

Yes, I do ask questions when in doubt.

Yes, it has happened I was ripped off by sellers who thought they knew better such as selling script copies with photocopied coffee stains (I'm ok with them not being originals, but not with the stains) and I made sure they went out of business at least on ebay.

Message 4 of 49
latest reply

I agree with another commentator: instead of just refunding them because the cost of shipping is more than the item is worth, require that they return the item... you'll find that most of these scammers won't bother doing that. They know the loophole, and are trying to work it. Besides media, I had many similar attempts when I was selling incense- another category that gets these people- where the cost of shipping is higher than the cost per item and it gets exploited.

Message 5 of 49
latest reply

If buyers need their hand held before the transaction, they are going to be trouble after.

And I always love the buyers (and occasional posters) who seem to think that if the buyer doesn't believe the listing that says that the item is in good condition with a little wear - that if they send the seller a question about the condition, if the seller is lying, they will suddenly confess and tell them that the item is junk.  D'uh, if they are exaggerating in the listing, they will continue to do so to get the item sold.

And people wonder why i block buyers that ask questions that are looking for reassurance about everything that is already in the listing.

(*Bleep*)
Message 6 of 49
latest reply

its always on cheap cds that cost more to ship then the disc is worth so you end up having to give a refund since it cost too much to return the item...

You answered your own rant.   Sellers who refund without requiring the item back only help escalate the scams.   If I sell media that can be copied I do so with NO RETURNS ACCEPTED.   Ebay has taken away the perks to strive for Top Rated Status.

Message 7 of 49
latest reply

If the condition is in the item description, why respond with anything more than "check description (insert your choice of descriptive pronoun here)".  Second, if the cd isn't worth more than the $3 it costs to ship (media mail), tell the buyer to keep the cheap cd, refund whatever was less than the 3 bucks, and go about having a joyous,  day!

Message 8 of 49
latest reply

Sorry for any confusion the edits may have caused. The edits were to the topic title only. Thanks for your understanding. If you have any questions in regards to the edit, please contact me via private message.

Message 9 of 49
latest reply

I can certainly understand a collector asking questions if the description leaves out something that, to the collector, might be important.  After all, as an auctioneer I've sold things that I am not knowledgeable about.  Although we try, it is not always possible to know everything and even relying on the expertise of others doesn't always help.

Of course, true collectors, at least in my experience, are not often disposed to, as you say, "rip off sellers" simply because they don't want to lose a possible source of items they collect.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 10 of 49
latest reply

I'm thinking the OP needs to be a little more thorough with their descriptions. 41K feedback indicates they don't have time and are a little too quick and assume the cd is OK. For that low a price and it's scratched anyway just let the buyer keep it and move on. It may avoid another bad feedback.

Message 11 of 49
latest reply

I am thinking you are assuming I did not check this item.. the buyer actually emailed me before purchasing the cd to have me check the condition and looking at it under a light there was no signs of wear. this seems to happen a lot whenever someone emails you before purchasing an item 90% of the time they end up ripping you off. this has happened to me several times and always the same scenario they email me asking about the condition I double check it its fine and the second they receive it they file a return not as described . Ebay pretty much allows people to do that so some people take advantage of it to get free stuff everyday

Message 12 of 49
latest reply

Sounds logical until you see that you sold the cd for 2.00 shipping 3.50 and you made a whopping .50 cents on it after all the fees.  so now if you just give a refund you lose 10 times what you made on the item and if you do a return and have to pay the return shipping you lose 16  times what you made on it only to be able to resale it to make another .50 cents  or -7.50 since you now paid 8.00 for a 2.00 cd. . I rarely make anything on here unless somone purchases multiple items so when some cheapskate comes along buys one item and then files false item not as described on you its very costly.

Message 13 of 49
latest reply

Out of close to 7.000 purchases, 60 to 70% of which for my collection I feel insulted by your statement that 90% of collectors asking questions are out there to scam.

Out of those almost 7.000 purchases I only ever opened one SNAD case, and it was for a new computer, listed as being with an English operating system, it arrived in Chinese, was I supposed to keep quiet?

And no, my collection has nothing to do with informatics

Message 14 of 49
latest reply

@megadestroyers wrote:

If the condition is in the item description, why respond with anything more than "check description (insert your choice of descriptive pronoun here)".  Second, if the cd isn't worth more than the $3 it costs to ship (media mail), tell the buyer to keep the cheap cd, refund whatever was less than the 3 bucks, and go about having a joyous,  day!

Unfortunately the OP's "descriptions" basically include nothing other than to repeat the eBay condition classification with no additional details.

FYI - A single cd ships for $2.63 Media Mail or $2.77 First Class (makes no sense to use MM for a single cd unless it's a local zone).

Message 15 of 49
latest reply